Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January Transfer Talk

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

ziedth wrote: »
    That's all well and good but name them.

I can maybe only think of 3 LB's playing in England I'd have ahead of BAE.

i'd have Evra , Cole , Baines , Clichy , warnock, Enrique , Kolarov, wayne bridge ( now wet spam) all ahead of BAE

He nice on the ball but he cant defend thats his problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

BERBA wrote: »
    i'd have Evra , Cole , Baines , Clichy , warnock, Enrique , Kolarov, wayne bridge ( now wet spam) all ahead of BAE

Clichy warnock and Wayne bridge aren't goo enough none can make it in there own teams apart from clubby and Kolorov is perennially injured Baines(sorry spellcheck changed this to badness doh!) is no better then Benny IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Clichy warnock and Wayne bridge aren't goo enough none can make it in there own teams apart from clubby and Kolorov is perennially injured badness is no better then Benny IMO

Completely agree with that statement everdead.

Decent LB's are very hard to come by and IMO although Benny is not great, he's certainly better than average. Plus he seems to work well with Bale, so it could be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

BERBA wrote: »

I still think hes a liability, much better this season tho. Enrique, now that is a tidy left back in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Enrique cant defend though. The only LB I'd have ahead of BAE are Evra, Cole and Baines but I'd agree with everdead in that Baines isn't that much better than BAE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Would only be Evra, Cole and maybe Clichy or Bridge for me and we wouldn't get any of them IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

ziedth wrote: »
    Would only be Evra, Cole and maybe Clichy or Bridge for me and we wouldn't get any of them IMHO.

Do you rate Bridge? Pish poor for me.

Rated him highly in his day and he gets a gold star from me for tlnot shaking Terrys hand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Lads in all honesty, there are much more things we need sooner then a new LB. BAE is highly rated by his peers, and also by Harry so we won't be seeing a new LB for at least another 3 years I'd say!

Madrid need a new striker to cover Higuain, and he is out for the remainder of the season - we need a new striker now, and Benzema is the only striker Madrid currently have, so we can rule out moving in for him! We should be shopping in France, there are plenty of decent players in that league that could cut it in England.

We missed out on Pienaar by the looks of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Cianan2 wrote: »
    Lads in all honesty, there are much more things we need sooner then a new LB. BAE is highly rated by his peers, and also by Harry so we won't be seeing a new LB for at least another 3 years I'd say!

Madrid need a new striker to cover Higuain, and he is out for the remainder of the season - we need a new striker now, and Benzema is the only striker Madrid currently have, so we can rule out moving in for him! We should be shopping in France, there are plenty of decent players in that league that could cut it in England.
    I disagree about the LB. He's an awful player imo

A tonne of bets have seen Andy Carroll have his odds slashed of joining us this month

A tonne of bets have seen Andy Carroll have his odds slashed of joining us this month

Keane + cash for Carroll?. I like Carroll, he has potential, but then again so did so many others!

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Keane + cash for Carroll?. I like Carroll, he has potential, but then again so did so many others!
    You hit the nail on the head there. Is 25million worth it for potential? At the figures suggested for Carroll you'd want a proven goalscorer imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I've expressed my views on Carroll regularly here. He's raw, has some great attributes, but is he just a flash in the pan? I know we take a chance buying anybody with that much cash, but wouldn't we prefer to buy someone who has proven themselves for more than half a season? If Keane goes the other way and effectively the price drops to something like £15 mil, then it's not too bad.

SuprSi wrote: »
    I've expressed my views on Carroll regularly here. He's raw, has some great attributes, but is he just a flash in the pan? I know we take a chance buying anybody with that much cash, but wouldn't we prefer to buy someone who has proven themselves for more than half a season? If Keane goes the other way and effectively the price drops to something like £15 mil, then it's not too bad.
    That's still effectively 22mill which is too much to me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

amiable wrote: »
    That's still effectively 22mill which is too much to me

Yeah you're right, it's an awful lot of money on someone who could go the way of Michael Ricketts next season. He could also blossom into the next Alan Shearer though!

SuprSi wrote: »
    Yeah you're right, it's an awful lot of money on someone who could go the way of Michael Ricketts next season. He could also blossom into the next Alan Shearer though!
    Of course he could turn into a Shearer. And there's a price where he'd be worth a punt but not 20mill + imo

I know it's not really an issue (seeing as I know support Woodgaye) but the guy is a scumbag of the highest order and I generally don't want that knod of guy involved with the club.

Fee agreed for Keane to go to Birmingham personal terms still to be trashed out and not 100% going through yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Still think Carroll won't leave Newcastle in a hurry, he's a local lad, their number 9, and that means a lot to a Geordie.

Benzema would be a good capture for us. Either that or Super Pav ups his game and makes the spot his own.

Hatch99 wrote: »
    We missed out on Pienaar by the looks of it

:confused:

Steven Pienaar is now understood to have been given permission by Everton to hold talks with Tottenham.

Hatch99 wrote: »
    :confused:

Steven Pienaar is now understood to have been given permission by Everton to hold talks with Tottenham.
    Where would we actually play him?

I also think we are holding out until we sell robbie before going for another striker

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭wellboys

Where would we actually play him?

I also think we are holding out until we sell robbie before going for another striker

We'll probably drop Wilson and through him on for the last 15mins in games. We know Harry is fond of the attacking type. Get the goals and shut up shop.. Throw Crouchy in center back!

A top striker is needed. The last Keane to Birmingham fell through because Harry said he had no replacement.. With the deal looking to go through. He must have something lined up?

Linked with a €15m bid for Rossi

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Kranjcar being linked with a €6m move to Chelsea:eek:! Unreliable source tho.
    Keane stalling on the deal on Brum because he wants to stay in London and is interested in playing under MO'N, apparently WHU are willing to match Birmingham's offer. Again unreliable source.

Source = The Star......:o

Redknapp said we weren't looking at Carroll especially at 30-40m he also said he didn't expect to have anyone come in then again that's how we got rafa :)

Pienaar deal back on the radar. Do we need him?

• Advertisement

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Pienaar deal back on the radar. Do we need him?

I don't think we do ?!

Advertisement