Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January Transfer Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Running around Europe with a bag of money trying to sign a striker, absolute fcuking laughing stock.
    I doubt we've made half these bids to be honest some saying the Athletico Madrid president is up for re-election so has been spreding rumours that he has been fighting to keep there best players.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Running around Europe with a bag of money trying to sign a striker, absolute fcuking laughing stock.

Yes if we had made these bids a few days ago it would have been a good investement? :confused:

I'd be delighted to get Aguero or Llorente. One thing that everyone has agreed on for the past few months if our need for a world class striker, and now everyone is bitching that we might actually be bidding for one? Granted, i'd be delighted if Defoe or Pav stepped up and actually started performing, but since that doesnt seem likely, we need to bring someone in or we can kiss 4th place goodbye.

And i don't think the Aguero bid is a reaction to what happened yesterday...you don't put £30+ million quid on the line because of one bad result.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

Totally agree. I think we got very lucky in the last transfer window thanks to Real Madrid. They let VDV go for 8 million and I think Levy is hoping for another deal to be struck at the last minute. If it works then he is a genius but if it fails.....For those of you with very short memories can I cast your mind back to the Aug 2008 transfer window when Levy sold our 2 strikers ( Robbie in the summer and Berbatov in the last few hours of the window) and left us with a strikeforce of Bent and Campbell.

I hate the transfer window.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Totally agree. I think we got very lucky in the last transfer window thanks to Real Madrid. They let VDV go for 8 million and I think Levy is hoping for another deal to be struck at the last minute. If it works then he is a genius but if it fails.....For those of you with very short memories can I cast your mind back to the Aug 2008 transfer window when Levy sold our 2 strikers ( Robbie in the summer and Berbatov in the last few hours of the window) and left us with a strikeforce of Bent and Campbell.

I hate the transfer window.

completly agree with that cept the but bout the transfer window cos I love it ;) Levy is a gambler and sometimes he wins and we get VDV but more often than not he loses and we get Campbell or Rasiak :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Kiith wrote: »
    One thing that everyone has agreed on for the past few months if our need for a world class striker, and now everyone is bitching that we might actually be bidding for one?

Im bitching am I ? Maybe I am, because the way we are doing our business is ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Liverpool have put in a bid of 30m for Carroll

Harry denies Aguero bid and dismisses bids for Negrado Llorente et al

Im bitching am I ? Maybe I am, because the way we are doing our business is ridiculous.

I didnt specifically mean you, i meant in general. I agree that there's no need to wait till the last minute for this kind of thing, but we didnt complain last year when we got Van Der Vaart did we? If we need to make multiple offers, then so be it. We need a top class striker, and money is the only way to get one.

Not that it matters much, as it doesnt look like we'll be getting anyone...except maybe Phil Neville :rolleyes:

Kiith wrote: »
    I didnt specifically mean you, i meant in general. I agree that there's no need to wait till the last minute for this kind of thing, but we didnt complain last year when we got Van Der Vaart did we? If we need to make multiple offers, then so be it. We need a top class striker, and money is the only way to get one.

Not that it matters much, as it doesnt look like we'll be getting anyone...except maybe Phil Neville :rolleyes:

Cant see why we didn't start bidding for someone in Decermber and have a deal done. All this talk about starting the bidding late to ensure you get a cheaper price is bull, you either want a top player or you dont !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I think the idea of bidding late is that nobody can swoop in infront of you ya know?

Anyway, if we get a world class striker (please god not Carrol) by tonight I'll be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

We need a quality CB but I'd rather we wait till the summer and get a decent one and not some 11th hour impluse buy today.

King is out for the rest of the season. woodgate is woodgate and Gallas while decent recently is not for the long term.

• Advertisement

I think Carroll could be exceptional for us, but have no fear word is bids have been put in for Anelka, Chamack, Van Persie, Rooney and Berba :P

On a serious note we have been putting in bids for Carroll since the begining of January getting progressively higher until we got to 23m

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭sniffingchimp

Reports saying we're back in for Forlan now?

ah this is comical :rolleyes:

From Sky Sports
    Confirmation from Sky Sports News Radio's Andy May that Spurs have indeed made a bid to Atletico Madrid for Diego Forlan. Still no word on the size of the offer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Surely this can only go down as another Levy masterstroke?!

Was Forlan always the target...?
    The other bids for Lllorente, Aguero were a decoy to stop other interested clubs inflating the price...

Keane in, Forlan out! COYS!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

Surely this can only go down as another Levy masterstroke?!

Was Forlan always the target...?
    The other bids for Lllorente, Aguero were a decoy to stop other interested clubs inflating the price...

Keane in, Forlan out! COYS!

master stroke my arse - spending 17 million on a soon to be 32 year old striker who couldn't cut it in the premiership with the best team in the land at the time.

Andy Carroll looks to be going for 35m insane money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Forlans goal ratio in La Liga over the last three and half years 1.63 (119/73), won the UEFA cup, and Golden Ball at the World Cup 2010.

Robbie Keane in premier league last three and a half years 3.10 (96/31), also failed at one of the worlds biggest clubs...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

BBC reporting that Forlan reports are all false.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Viktor.

I really don't know about Forlan. I know he was a mega hit in Spain, but his previous stint in the Premier League and his age have me worried. Theres a big difference in the physicality of the game in Spain and England, thats why I reckon he able to perform better once he moved there.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

Forlans goal ratio in La Liga over the last three and half years 1.63 (119/73), won the UEFA cup, and Golden Ball at the World Cup 2010.

Robbie Keane in premier league last three and a half years 3.10 (96/31), also failed at one of the worlds biggest clubs...

keane was shafted at liverpool and never recovered from it.

forlan's goal ratio may be impressive but he is 32 at the end of the season - 17 million is up there with liverpool signing carroll for 35 million

Aguero just signed a new deal with Atletico.

Nvm, double post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Yeah but he was only 20 when he went to Inter ;)

BBC reporting that Forlan reports are all false.
    Wouldn't be surprised would go with our theme of putting "bids" in for a number of strikers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I wouldn't pay half of the money going on Carrol but what I'd say it is doing is Inflating the Market in the UK anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Liverpool spending £35 million on Carroll can only be seen as a good thing for all other clubs challenging for 4th or higher. Yes he's good and will score them goals, but will he score as many as his price would demand? I seriously doubt it. If they'd had the time, as in this summer, they could have bought someone seriously good, and seriously established, rather than fluffing it all on someone with half a good season in the EPL. Good luck to them I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

It doesnt look like we will be adding to the squad this transfer window (usual last day buys). :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Not even with the bright lights of london

Advertisement