Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January Transfer Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

RichMc70 wrote: »
    from sky sports

@SkySportsChrisB:
    Harry Redknapp has confirmed Tottenham have put a bid in for Everton skipper Phil Neville. Click here for more on this story.
    Monday January 31, 2011 9:20 @SkySportsChrisB

skysports_bryan:
    Transfer latest - Everton reject bid from Tottenham for Phil Neville #ssn [via Twitter]

good

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I hope we do get Neville to be honest. He's a good utility player and will give us the cover we need at full back as well as midfield as sandro just isn't cutting it at the moment. He's got CL experience and the experience of winning a PL title.

I hope we do get Neville to be honest. He's a good utility player and will give us the cover we need at full back as well as midfield as sandro just isn't cutting it at the moment. He's got CL experience and the experience of winning a PL title.

But he's 34. If he was on a free then maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

RichMc70 wrote: »
    But he's 34. If he was on a free then maybe.

Exactly, glad we didn't get him to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭leonards

why could't we attract any new strikers.... ????
    is it wages ? the stadium ? we had lots of cash to spend....:(:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Well we wanted Carroll but bid 12-17m too low wages for a recognised striker would have been huge too.

leonards wrote: »

Nothing to do with wages or the stadium imo, just fcuking mis-management from what I can see in our hunt for top players, or was there ever a structured hunt in the first place ?

Gio gone to Racing on loan.

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Gio gone to Racing on loan.
    I put huge writing up in the Soccer forum "Last minute Spurs Striker deal goes through" I thought it was funny :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭DamienKilmurray

leonards wrote: »

I don`t think that Aguero or Rossi wanted to come to be honest. They or their advisors seem to have given Spurs the impression that they would be interested to come and entice a bid from us to their clubs. All so that they could get a pay rise and an improved contract. Both Aguero and Rossi signed extensions with their clubs today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Viktor.

I don`t think that Aguero or Rossi wanted to come to be honest. They or their advisors seem to have given Spurs the impression that they would be interested to come and entice a bid from us to their clubs. All so that they could get a pay rise and an improved contract. Both Aguero and Rossi signed extensions with their clubs today.

Good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭wellboys

Late interest for CHARLIE ADAM?!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Charlie Adam???? Why????? Surely this cannot happen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Spurs in for Charlie Adam according to SSN.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Dave11

Not happening!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Dos Santos gone on loan
    BBC 2217: DONE DEAL Tottenham forward Giovani Dos Santos has joined Spanish side Racing Santander on loan until the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭marty2002

Dire transfer window for us, 5th in the league, last 16 of the CL and we spend 3 million quid on Pienaar...

• Registered Users Posts: 12 summit182

Devastated we've not signed any decent striker. We have just fallen behind not only the top four but I reckon Liverpool will get ahead of us now too in the league.
    Unless the performances from VDV, Modric and Bale are consistently stellar from now until the end of the season then we will continue to drop points.
    Not even a decent RB was bought ffs, another chronic position for us!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Disappointing window for us lads,up to the last minute I was waiting to hear Forlan was signing for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Last min bid for Charlie Adam was rejected. Bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

Settle down lads. The best place for money was in our arse pockets. For CB's where we look a little short, we should recall Caulker, he seems promising. In midfield, we need to manage our resources- rest Modric in particular, he's being flogged to death.
    Up front, defoe is due a run- this timelast year, he was the best finisher in the Prem, as good as Suarez and worth 5 Andy Carrolls. Pav went on a streak in February and Crouch, as harry keeps telling everyone, terrorised defences in Europe, and set up assists for VDV in particular.
    The last time we went mental, we ended up with bentley and bent, overpriced englishmen.
    With Chelsea having signed Torres, and Arsenal boasting a decent bunch of strikers, we should now go baldheaded for Lukaku. He's the next Torres, and will be worth double whatever he costs us in 3 years.
    We should sign him now for next season- I have a sneaky feeling we may already have.

Settle down lads. The best place for money was in our arse pockets. For CB's where we look a little short, we should recall Caulker, he seems promising. In midfield, we need to manage our resources- rest Modric in particular, he's being flogged to death.
    Up front, defoe is due a run- this timelast year, he was the best finisher in the Prem, as good as Suarez and worth 5 Andy Carrolls. Pav went on a streak in February and Crouch, as harry keeps telling everyone, terrorised defences in Europe, and set up assists for VDV in particular.
    The last time we went mental, we ended up with bentley and bent, overpriced englishmen.
    With Chelsea having signed Torres, and Arsenal boasting a decent bunch of strikers, we should now go baldheaded for Lukaku. He's the next Torres, and will be worth double whatever he costs us in 3 years.
    We should sign him now for next season- I have a sneaky feeling we may already have.

Think Pavs and Defoes hot streak is worth having a look at http://www.topspurs.com/200910.htm Pavs last league goals were on 13th March v Blackburn the same day that Defoe got his last league goal from play for the 09/10 season.
    As for Defoe being the best finisher in the Prem? you nearly had me going there. the only "best" about him is that he's the best of a bad lot of strikers at Spurs.

Everyone expects Harry to work miracle deals but as we are now a CL club, no matter whose door he knocks on, they're going to want stupid money for good (not necessarily great) players.

Going all out to sign one striker at a cost of £30m+ is a massive gamble that unless you have a personal multi-billionaire backer, for me is too much of a gamble. Shareholders hold the power at our club, not oil rich tycoons.

Ok so, the front men we have at present are not in the best form and more importantly they're all out of form at the same time. But they're not donkeys. They all play for their respective countries at international level.

I think we have to accept that we are not financially in a position to start splashing out the crazy transfer fees that we have seen in this window. If we had taken the gamble and it had not paid off, then we might have been looking at off loading one or two of a star performers come the summer. Would you be prepared to lose say Bale, Modric or VDV to make up for the financial loss of not regaining top four. Not me.

Of course, I would have like to see a new front man but I'm not gutted that we didn't. I just hope that JD, Crouch and Pav now step up to the mark again and rediscover their form.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

no matter what anyone says this is a disaster... or at least one witing to happen. We obviously need a half decent left back: we get no one and dont even bid for one. we are seriously lacking a center half: king and woodgate may as well not be on the books... likewise we dont even attempt to sign one. But the most obvious need was a striker... crouch is brutal, dont kid yourselfs chaps if your thinking that he's remotely good.Defoe is on a shocking run and his whole game is based on confidence... amd then we have Pav, who on his day can be great but can also be a poormans crouch. harry/levy have screwed up bigtime, our one and only chance to push on a compete for top four and we refuse to pay someone a decent wage and/or dont bother with a bid. Pienaar is a good addition but we already have krankjar... and as for the desperation of a bid for charlie adams? bullsh1t... it proberbly never even happened. No CL next season.... cue want away requests from luka and bale, and i reckon they are well within their rights. They'll win nothing with us because our owners lack real ambition to push on and our manager is just waiting till capello resigns for the england job so he wont be knocking down any doors demanding to splash the cash.
    rant over

No CL next season.... cue want away requests from luka and bale, and i reckon they are well within their rights. They'll win nothing with us because our owners lack real ambition to push on and our manager is just waiting till capello resigns for the england job so he wont be knocking down any doors demanding to splash the cash.
    rant over

I disagree Positive. I think it's all about greedy clubs and the wages from these individuals. Did Suarez and Carroll go to Pool because they'll get CL football. Well, definitely not this season and unlikely that they'll get it next season, as things stand.

As for the owners, I would just reiterate that we need to take a step back and realise that Spurs is run as a business and silverware and other such ambitions are pushed aside for the supposedly greater good of the shareholder and profit. To some extent I agree. Would prefer to be in the PL as opposed The Championship after having points deducted for going into administration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

They'll win nothing with us because our owners lack real ambition to push on and our manager is just waiting till capello resigns for the england job so he wont be knocking down any doors demanding to splash the cash.

Would you prefer we showed the same "ambition" as Leeds a few years back, what if we spent silly money and missed out anyway on top 4? 30 million or more for any of the players mentioned is just crazy, and as Rich said we are not City or Chelski with an Oil rich owner. Keep the faith guys. I am so glad that window is now shut and we can get on with the football starting with 3pts on Wednesday night and hopefully our current crop of strikers getting in on the scoring COYS.

To be honest if we had Hudd back I'd be so much more confident pity he had that injury set back. Hopefully we start playing Pav a bit more he can at least score and in fairness has done it with minial starts too most goals coming from the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Would you prefer we showed the same "ambition" as Leeds a few years back, what if we spent silly money and missed out anyway on top 4? 30 million or more for any of the players mentioned is just crazy, and as Rich said we are not City or Chelski with an Oil rich owner. Keep the faith guys. I am so glad that window is now shut and we can get on with the football starting with 3pts on Wednesday night and hopefully our current crop of strikers getting in on the scoring COYS.

signing a left back and a striker of some worth is not pushing the club towards administration its showing an awareness that we wont be playing in CL football next season unless we improve our weaken areas... and to do that we should have spent money instead of doing the usual of waiting untill the dieing seconds of a transfer window and ending up making bids for players like charlie adams to apeese the frustrated fans. No doubt the VDV was a good buy but for christ sake crouch has been awful recently and defoe was more out of form than Torres. We needed a striker and a left full not just for cover but for a starting eleven position and the club failed to address that... this hasnt got anything to do with sliding towards administration. Id hate to think that there is an attitude amoungst spurs fans that Levy/harry can do no wrong and that if we spend money and dont qualify for CL its a waste so lets no take the risk? either way its no trophies and euefa league next season (at best).... of course unless we win the CL :) which would be pretty unbelievable tbh but jesus it would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Quite happy we didnt sign anyone after seeing to stupid money spent on Bent and Carroll this window. It would be a gamble paying 10 million for Carroll!!!!

We need to go on a great run from now til the end of the window, i wouldnt be suprised to see Pav get more games now and hit a run of form.

Harry mate, VDV is not s right winger

• Advertisement

KingdomYid wrote: »

There's a big difference between doing a Leeds and showing a but of ambition. If Spurs, the tenth richest club in Europe and up to this season the only club in the 20 richest not to feature in the CL, can't go out and splash out on a badly needed striker we may as well forget about top 4 / CL etc and concentrate on the FA and Carling Cups.

Advertisement