Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January Transfer Talk

Options
1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

I think its fair to say whats more worrying is the lack of goals from our current cohort than the failure to land a new goalscorer. Between JD, RP & PC we've had a return of 6 PL goals... A shocking statistic.... The finger of blame must be pointed at Redknapps move to playing 4-5-1, isolating a striker up front, a formation he was reluctant to employ until the arrival of VDV. What manager in their right mind plays JD as a lone striker?! I only hope we stop overloading the midfield with attacking players which is exposing the defence and isolating the lone striker....

Sort it out Harry, give Pav and JD a run of games together.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I thought we signed a new full back lastnight when a mystery player was spotted at the training ground but it turned out to be Hutton dressed as Lahm

*gets coat*

I'll show myself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

According to David Moyes Spurs offered 500,000 for Phil Neville. 250,000 was to be paid up front and 250,000 paid next year. If we couldn't even afford to pay half a million for a player then its taking the piss a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

kakee wrote: »
    According to David Moyes Spurs offered 500,000 for Phil Neville. 250,000 was to be paid up front and 250,000 paid next year. If we couldn't even afford to pay half a million for a player then its taking the piss a bit.

We have always paid our transfer fees in instalments, I wouldn't pay any heed to that particular story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

We have always paid our transfer fees in instalments, I wouldn't pay any heed to that particular story.

I think most clubs do these days dont they afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Hatch99 wrote: »

That's true John, but it is worth pointing out that £500k for Everton's captain regardless of his age was taking the piss.

It is also a good time to ask if Harry's entire scouting system consists of watching MOTD and the Football League Show on a Saturday evening? Leaving aside the marquee signings like Aguero or Fabiano (when a dog with a mallet up it's arse could identify as targets) it seems increasingly likely that Harry won't deliver Levy-style value from abroad, so we are doomed to trying to snaffle a deal in the closing minutes or pay over the odds for sub standard English players.

Giampaolo Pazzini cost Inter around €13m plus a player in exchange.
    Mark Van Bommel went on a free to Milan.
    Jean Makoun cost Aston Villa £6m.

All would have improved our squad, yet we closed the window chasing Neville and a half-arsed attempt at Charlie Adam?

Until such time as we have a stadium built we will not be in any position to chase the stars, so somebody needs to get a handle on finding decent players who are value for money outside of the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

That's true John, but it is worth pointing out that £500k for Everton's captain regardless of his age was taking the piss.

It is also a good time to ask if Harry's entire scouting system consists of watching MOTD and the Football League Show on a Saturday evening? Leaving aside the marquee signings like Aguero or Fabiano (when a dog with a mallet up it's arse could identify as targets) it seems increasingly likely that Harry won't deliver Levy-style value from abroad, so we are doomed to trying to snaffle a deal in the closing minutes or pay over the odds for sub standard English players.

Giampaolo Pazzini cost Inter around €13m plus a player in exchange.
    Mark Van Bommel went on a free to Milan.
    Jean Makoun cost Aston Villa £6m.

All would have improved our squad, yet we closed the window chasing Neville and a half-arsed attempt at Charlie Adam?

Until such time as we have a stadium built we will not be in any position to chase the stars, so somebody needs to get a handle on finding decent players who are value for money outside of the UK.

we defo should have gone for van bommel. good buddies with vdv so would have had a great chance of getting him

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭wellboys

The fact that we didn't spend outrageous money for overpriced players shows Harry has some faith in what we have, we mightn't but he does. Fingers crossed that Pav and Defoe hit some kind of form.. They are quality strikers, they just need a kick up the arsé!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Most clubs do pay in installments but that's usually for big fees.
    You have to admit it was a bit insulting if its a true story.
    500k would be around 2 months salary for Robbie Keane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭fabvinny

bad window for us i think,we needed a top striker and possibly another centre half.if we dont finish 4th(which i really dont think we will) this season,i fear that liverpool will again go ahead of us next season.

Why is Harry bitching about the "crazy" transfer window. What is crazy is leaving it till the last minutes of the last day to try do a deal for someone. After the near miss with VDV in the summer window (when the FAs computer servers were acting up) its amazing to think the suits managed to mess up the transfer of Adam. Apparently Harry was hanging around the lodge all day and Adam and his agent were hanging around Blackpool all day waiting for something to happen.
    I know Adam is not somebody we needed at this time but is probably a decent prospect if Bale were to be lured away in the summer. I know he Bale says he wants to stay and Harry says he won't sell I for one am under no illusion that if the right bid comes in then Levy will do business.

Why can we not identify 2 or 3 targets early in the window and go all out to get at least one of those, there is nothing wrong with getting 1 or 2 deals done early and letting the players settle in and getting on with the league. Those who are doing the scouting(advising) should be given the boot. Some of those we were linked with had already agreed deals with their own clubs or with other clubs.
    Tonight Harry revealed Spurs made a £35 million bid for Rossi. There is no point coming out saying it now. Why not make a £35 million bid on January 4th. Maybe putting an early bid in for a player would spark an auction but its better to try and fail then to go panic buying on january 31st. Offering big money for the likes of Forlan or Rossi is just crazy. I think Suarez and Aguerro were never going to come to Tottenham. The only player that would really have improved us up front was Carroll and I feel we missed a big chance there. We could have given cash, keane and crouch and it would still have been a good deal for us.
    Where is all the money we made from the champions league gone. There are not too many top players going to be available in the summer either and we will be lucky to be playing European football at all next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

kakee wrote: »
    The only player that would really have improved us up front was Carroll and I feel we missed a big chance there. We could have given cash, keane and crouch and it would still have been a good deal for us.
    Where is all the money we made from the champions league gone.

Do you seriously think Carroll is worth £35m ? 17 goals in the Championship 10/11. Not exactly Golden Boot form.

At best CL is only worth £25m to a club like us or maybe £35m if you win it. Seems to be a lot of misconceptions flying around.

RichMc70 wrote: »
    Do you seriously think Carroll is worth £35m ? 17 goals in the Championship 10/11. Not exactly Golden Boot form.

I never said he was or is worth £35 million. What I said was he would have improved us up front and if had offered the likes of Keane/Crouch (or any of the squad players) and cash maybe we could have got him. Think of all the names we were linked with, no chance any of them would have come to us with the wages they are on. Carroll is only 22 and was apparently on a wage that we could have at least matched if not improved on.
    There was no way the likes of Rossi or Aguerro signed new contracts with their clubs just because we were sniffing around. Those deals had to be sorted and just awaiting the players signature a few weeks before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Well, thank god we hung on to Kranjcar - Modric is out for 2 weeks (minimum) due to having his appendix removed this morning!

God I hope he is back in for the Milan game...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

RichMc70 wrote: »

At best CL is only worth £25m to a club like us or maybe £35m if you win it. Seems to be a lot of misconceptions flying around.

I've been on here a few weeks back when i thought Spurs might sign Carroll saying i thought 20 million is too much so as a Liverpool fan i was quite surprised at the price LFC ended up paying for him. I've yet to meet anyone who could justify the price tag. So basically its a given that LFC grossly overpaid for a young very raw talent. You'd expect to pay such a huge fee for the finished article normally but Liverpool were desperate to bring in someone else for several reasons. Its done now and i just hope he's a success.

I disagree about the Champions league money to be earned.
    I think clubs can earn considerably more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

amiable wrote: »
    I've been on here a few weeks back when i thought Spurs might sign Carroll saying i thought 20 million is too much so as a Liverpool fan i was quite surprised at the price LFC ended up paying for him. I've yet to meet anyone who could justify the price tag. So basically its a given that LFC grossly overpaid for a young very raw talent. You'd expect to pay such a huge fee for the finished article normally but Liverpool were desperate to bring in someone else for several reasons. Its done now and i just hope he's a success.

I disagree about the Champions league money to be earned.
    I think clubs can earn considerably more.

I think Carroll is the real deal and I thought our 23m offer would have proved worth it even thought we should of upped it to 30m but 35 is an awful lot and a lot of pressure on him as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭golfball37

Reports this morning saying we have beaten Arsenal to the signing of Conner Wickham.

Looks very promising, scored a great goal last weekend.

golfball37 wrote: »
    Reports this morning saying we have beaten Arsenal to the signing of Conner Wickham.

Looks very promising, scored a great goal last weekend.
    Talk of his hat trick making him worth 15m despite it only taking him to 5 goals for the season

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

yeah - he's only started 17 games and scored 5 goals. Not exactly a knock-out statistic but I guess its not bad for a 17 year old who has been playing is a struggling team all season.

Must have a gander on you tube and see what all the fuss is about.. I assume there must be alot more to his game considering the money been mentioned.

• Advertisement

yeah - he's only started 17 games and scored 5 goals. Not exactly a knock-out statistic but I guess its not bad for a 17 year old who has been playing is a struggling team all season.

Must have a gander on you tube and see what all the fuss is about.. I assume there must be alot more to his game considering the money been mentioned.
    http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/doncaster-ipswich-8510822/

thats his hat trick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭golfball37

Roy Keane had it in for the lad, since Keane left he's been playing well.

I saw him last season and was well impressed anyway.

Advertisement