Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January Transfer Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

Hatch99 wrote: »
    But do we really, or have we just had a rotten time with injuries to all of our CB's. If they were all fit, we'd probably be saying we have too many.

Quite right , i would like to see a good striker come to the lane and a solid left back, Assou-ekotto reminds my of justin edinburgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I think we need a solid RB if anything, BAE is fine, our priority should definitely be a (top class) striker though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

It's a tough one, we have hutton, corluka and Kaboul who can play right back, so i cant see us signing another unless we get rid of 1 or 2 of the mentioned. The one I like is Walker who is on loan at QPR , I think he could make a player.

As for LB, yes BAE tends to have a mare every 4/5 games, but Harry only ever has good things to say about him, so Im not sure he is looking to replace him just yet. Bale is another option in that position.

I'd love to see us sign Suarez from Ajax, I really like him.

Robbie should probably go in Jan. For his sake and also for Irelands sake, we need him playing regularly. Harry doesn't want him and thats clear. Dont be suprised if he goes to Celtic again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Dzeko on his way to juve :(

Fabiano?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

THFC wrote: »
    I think we need a solid RB if anything, BAE is fine, our priority should definitely be a (top class) striker though.
    Id have to disagree, i think BAE is just way too inconsistent, and when hes bad, hes very very bad!. Prone to too many errors that usually cost us dear.

All is not lost with hutton just yet, i think hes a much better option than corluka who's pace has just got worse since we bought him.

Agreed on the striker though, i dont think keane , defoe, pav or crouch are good enough.

• Advertisement

We're linked with a January bid for Benzema as he is not getting any game time at the moment

mushykeogh wrote: »

Agreed on the striker though, i dont think keane , defoe, pav or crouch are good enough.

Good enough for what. They have all scored goals for us. Keane is different as he is blatantly not wanted/liked any more so he should move on. But the other 3 have all done well for us. Look at Defoe/Crouch, there goals got us CL Football remember so to discard them as not good enough is silly.And Pav has scored some important goals too.

Dont get me wrong, I'd still like a 20m pound man such as Benzema or Suarez :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Good enough for what. They have all scored goals for us. Keane is different as he is blatantly not wanted/liked any more so he should move on. But the other 3 have all done well for us. Look at Defoe/Crouch, there goals got us CL Football remember so to discard them as not good enough is silly.And Pav has scored some important goals too.

Agree completely John.

Well if we are serious about staying in the top 4 we absolutely need a 20 million pound man. Look at our strikers compared to the other top clubs (United, City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool). They dont even compare. JD's limit is 20 goals a season, we need some one like Torres, Tevez, Rooney, Van Persie or Drogba thats capable of getting 30+ goals a season. If we are indeed serious about staying in the top 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

THFC wrote: »
    Well if we are serious about staying in the top 4 we absolutely need a 20 million pound man. Look at our strikers compared to the other top clubs (United, City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool). They dont even compare. JD's limit is 20 goals a season, we need some one like Torres, Tevez, Rooney, Van Persie or Drogba thats capable of getting 30+ goals a season. If we are indeed serious about staying in the top 4.

Thats exactly it, yea keane and the rest have done a good job but do you really think are good enough to keep us in the top 4 again? Based on what we have seen so far i would say no, they are all way to inconsistent, whens the last time we had a striker that scored 20 + league goals?

As THFC says above, our strikers dont compare to arsenal, utd or chelsea, different class all together, i just feel we need to spend heavy and try and get a truely world class striker.

As it is we do not have a world class striker.
    What got us top 4 last year does not automatically mean it will get us top four next year.

P.s. were 7 league games in, and our top scorer has 3 goals if im not mistaken, (Van der Vart)?

• Advertisement

Thats exactly it, yea keane and the rest have done a good job but do you really think are good enough to keep us in the top 4 again? Based on what we have seen so far i would say no, they are all way to inconsistent, whens the last time we had a striker that scored 20 + league goals?

As THFC says above, our strikers dont compare to arsenal, utd or chelsea, different class all together, i just feel we need to spend heavy and try and get a truely world class striker.

As it is we do not have a world class striker.
    What got us top 4 last year does not automatically mean it will get us top four next year.

P.s. were 7 league games in, and our top scorer has 3 goals if im not mistaken, (Van der Vart)?

Your taking me up wrong. I dont disagree with you. All Im saying is that the strikers we currently have are still vital to where we want to go, and to label them is silly. Liverpool have Torres (appears injury prone now), Utd have rooney who is excellent, Chelsea have Drogba and Arsenal have well... RVP i suppose but he is injured quite a bit too, so they are not a millions miles ahead of us.

I agree with you, Id love a top striker in the big money bracket, ie Suarez who I like, but you have to learn to walk with the big boys before you can run with them...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

Id have to disagree, i think BAE is just way too inconsistent, and when hes bad, hes very very bad!. Prone to too many errors that usually cost us dear.

All is not lost with hutton just yet, i think hes a much better option than corluka who's pace has just got worse since we bought him.

Agree there and the thing i hate about him when he does fcuk up , he loos/acts like he doesnt give a toss

We're linked with a January bid for Benzema as he is not getting any game time at the moment

A great striker , RM have ruined him would love to see him at the lane.

Heard we're chasing Milan defender Daniele Bonera.

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/b6hyJ

Just checked him on wikipedia, can play RB or CB which is good I suppose. Also was capped by Italy (when they were good) a few times. He's only played 71 club games since 2006 and seems a bit injury prone though. Anyone ever seen him play?

Jaysus lads, I hope this next story is false. €26 million for Vagner Love!!:eek:
    http://bleacherreport.com/tb/b6nmS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Emoran

Rooney please ... :p

My mate Suarez has 7 league goals this season and has scored again tonight, go get em Harry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Emoran wrote: »
    Rooney please ... :p

Personally I can't stand him and I mean I've had it in for him for some reason since he was 16 but Jesus even if there was a remote possibility surely you'd have to break the bank for him?

Swap deal for Bale?

ziedth wrote: »
    Personally I can't stand him and I mean I've had it in for him for some reason since he was 16 but Jesus even if there was a remote possibility surely you'd have to break the bank for him?

Swap deal for Bale?

I'd rather keep Bale.

I'd rather keep Bale.

Definetly he's a big player for us I'd rather we kept him too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Of course I would too but is he going to keep us ya know? Least this way we get a player of equal quality at least.

• Advertisement

Torres and Rooney both looking for January exits I'd happily snap up either certainly worth putting a bid in

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Wouldn't it be great if we could get a striker who could play for us in the CL too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

If I remember correctly... Torres could play for us in the CL, arent you allowed to have 1 player that has played in Europa League for another team to play Champions League if he is signed? How great a signing would he be (injury free...)

Torres and Defoe would run riot together, don't you think? I find it hard to believe that he'd move to an English team, though - I reckon he would go to Italy

Obviously they won't want to have Rooney around if he is going to be a destructive influence and he may not leave in January so there could be a loan opportunity there.

Ashley Young has cancelled contract talks with only 18 months or so left on his deal, could be a transfer auction for him in Jan.

My mate Suarez has 7 league goals this season and has scored again tonight, go get em Harry.
    Hey hatch just wondering is suarez fast at all just asking as he looks to have a bit of a belly but then so does Rooney?

Hey hatch just wondering is suarez fast at all just asking as he looks to have a bit of a belly but then so does Rooney?

He aint lightening quick but you dont have to be. Once you can put the ball in the net, thats what matters. As for having a belly, give it over ;)

After seeing Rossi being so clinical at the lane we really should try for him imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭golfball37

We've tied up the signing of South African right back Bongani Khumalo. Arriving in January. Was talk of it in August. he played in a trial match for the reserves against Norwich about a month ago and really impresed by all accounts.

My only thing would be- surely to God its a left back we need?

Hutton, Corluka, Kaboul & the 2 Kyles can play at RB.

Only really Bale or BAE can play LB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Khumalo is a centre back, is he not?

Advertisement