Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January Transfer Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

anyone who thinks we can get tevez needs their head examined

personally i think we need cover in midfield, scott parker would be a good solid buy

lassana diarra might be better or might not.....big wages and cup tied for champs league (presumably) so parker might be better option

would dearly love for us to sign shay given but would be hard to get him from city and have no reason to think harry is leaning that way

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭marty2002

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Ormus wrote: »
    anyone who thinks we can get tevez needs their head examined

personally i think we need cover in midfield, scott parker would be a good solid buy

lassana diarra might be better or might not.....big wages and cup tied for champs league (presumably) so parker might be better option

would dearly love for us to sign shay given but would be hard to get him from city and have no reason to think harry is leaning that way

Your going to pay an extra 2(if not 5)million easy for Parker because he's english. I have never been a huge fan of his but he would be handy to have in but we need someone who is going to AC Milan for us. I Like Diarra.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

ziedth wrote: »
    Your going to pay an extra 2(if not 5)million easy for Parker because he's english. I have never been a huge fan of his but he would be handy to have in but we need someone who is going to AC Milan for us. I Like Diarra.

far as i know diarra is cup tied for champs league

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

Ormus wrote: »

Given would be great and definitely wants away from City, but would they sell him to us? I like Gomes, but he's just too unreliable - perfectly competent most of the time, occasionally brilliant, but always likely to drop a clanger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

Given would be a great buy for Spurs. Gomez has been great for the last while in general but is prone to too many bad mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Hmmm, Diarra & Benzema plus £30 mil? I love you Mr Bale but I'm afraid for that in my view I'd be sending you off to sunny Spain! I'd say we'll see more of these stories about Bale than any other player in European football this period.

SuprSi wrote: »
    Hmmm, Diarra & Benzema plus £30 mil? I love you Mr Bale but I'm afraid for that in my view I'd be sending you off to sunny Spain! I'd say we'll see more of these stories about Bale than any other player in European football this period.

I'd rip their arm off for that TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I'd have Benzema and 30m tbh, but seeing as they're (reportedly) offering Diarra too we might as well take him. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

After watching the Real Madrid game last night Benzema and Lius Fabiano are both crap and i wouldn't want them anywhere near us. Andy Carroll is the man. We have enough defenders and midfielders, up top is the only area that needs strengthening really.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

kakee wrote: »
    We have enough defenders and midfielders, up top is the only area that needs strengthening really.

I have to disagree with that - we've let in 37 goals across 24 competitive games and have only enjoyed 3 clean sheets all season. We've scored 46 in the same games.

Even if we let won half the games we've drawn in the league (not unrealistic given the goals we're letting in) we could be a point off the top rather than 4 points off 4th.

We may have enough defenders, but they're too likely to be injured (Woodgate, Dawson, King) or susceptible to error (Gomes).

Having said all that, this morning's Daily Mail says we've offered Newcastle 20m for Carroll (and we could be letting Crouch move up there as part of the deal) so your wish could come true, Kakee!

I dunno, this is Carroll's first season in the PL and fair enough he's doing really well, but there have been plenty of strikers that have done as well as him and then disappeared after a season or two. 20 mil is an awful lot for someone who, in my books, is still relatively unproven.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

SuprSi wrote: »
    I dunno, this is Carroll's first season in the PL and fair enough he's doing really well, but there have been plenty of strikers that have done as well as him and then disappeared after a season or two. 20 mil is an awful lot for someone who, in my books, is still relatively unproven.

True, but you would be willing to take Benzema who has never played in the Premier League ever. The man isn't even up the the physical side of the Spanish league. Every time I have seen him play he just doesn't want to or know how to challange. For me Carroll is the real deal and has a big future ahead.

True, but you would be willing to take Benzema who has never played in the Premier League ever. The man isn't even up the the physical side of the Spanish league. Every time I have seen him play he just doesn't want to or know how to challange. For me Carroll is the real deal and has a big future ahead.

Also true. Both players would be a risk. Carroll could slot in straight away and might make a huge difference for this season, though would he be able to do the same next season? Whereas Benzema might take the rest of this season to gel and not be much use to us until next season, and even then he might not be of much use.

I see what you're saying though. If Carroll was a direct replacement for Crouch, he'd be perfect as he will obviously score more than Crouch and is much more aggressive, which would result in more opportunities for VDV or Defoe or anyone else who fancies a shot on goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

If we got Given and Carroll in the transfer window we would be close to a title winning side. We do have enough defenders. Dawson + anyone one of Gallas/Kaboul/Bassong/King is pretty strong.

slegs wrote: »
    If we got Given and Carroll in the transfer window we would be close to a title winning side. We do have enough defenders. Dawson + anyone one of Gallas/Kaboul/Bassong/King is pretty strong.

No, IMO we need at least one more clinical striker. Either Benzema or Carroll would do, neither of which will come in Jan me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

After watching the Real Madrid game last night Benzema and Lius Fabiano are both crap and i wouldn't want them anywhere near us.

I find it's usually a bad idea to base an opinion on a player on the basis of 90mins football.

Benzema off the top of my head has 48 odd goals in 110 odd games for Lyon (maybe 10 in 40 for Real) I wouldn't be betting my house on him to be a runaway success at spurs but I think he might do ok.

If they wanted to offer 30m plus him for Bale I still maintain it's be totally worth it. Not to mention the reported Diarra.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Anybody rate Nilmar?

• Advertisement

Kold wrote: »
    Anybody rate Nilmar?

Yes. He's got buckets of speed. Are we reportedly interested or something??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I'd love to raid Liverpool for riena and Torres

Hehe that'd be amazing, though it'll never happen. Actually, if we progressed beyond AC Milan and got CL football next year you'd never know!

I know it's OT with regards to the January transfer window, but I'm so happy we didn't get Joe Cole in the end, what with all the troubles he seems to be having with Liverpool. Think about it - if we'd got Joe, we wouldn't have bothered going for VDV!!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭wellboys

Read in todays papers that the Piennar deal is almost done for £2m, we're in for Van Bommel and Julio Baptista and Turkish striker Senturk is on his way to London.
    Just another day at Spurs!

Van Bommel and Julio Baptista(another ex gooner Harry?) are both old school but I'd like either of them TBH.

They were both top top players at some point in their career.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

i hate reina.

not doubtin he is good keeper but i dispise the man

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Kyle Walker just got MOTM there in QPR's win at Coventry. I didn't see the whole game but he played very well according to the commentators. His loan spell is due to end next week so I wonder will Harry bring him back? RB is one position I feel we could improve, Hutton has played well and looks good going forward but he can be caught out defensively at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Kyle Walker just got MOTM there in QPR's win at Coventry. I didn't see the whole game but he played very well according to the commentators. His loan spell is due to end next week so I wonder will Harry bring him back? RB is one position I feel we could improve, Hutton has played well and looks good going forward but he can be caught out defensively at times.

He's a very good prospect. I mentioned in a few threads earlier in the season that he is the one young player that has impressed me and could make it. He was excellent in pre season. Here's hoping...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Hutton has been one of the outstanding RBs for me this season.

Advertisement