Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City Vs Chelsea - Sky Sports 1 - 12.45PM -Saturday 25th Sept

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It would have been one error by the kid in an otherwise vey assured performance.

He was very, very good and I don't see how anyone can think otherwise.

It would have been......??????...it was a mistake. He did ok but was very dirty and got away with a few things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

It would have been one error by the kid in an otherwise vey assured performance.

He was very, very good and I don't see how anyone can think otherwise.

Take off the blue tinted glasses! He was ok but nothing spectacular, his tackling left an awfull lot to be desired and as a defended thats your main reason for being on the pitch , so all that equals and unimpressive display.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

MUSEIST wrote: »
    It would have been......??????...it was a mistake. He did ok but was very dirty and got away with a few things.

Exactly. Would've, could've, should've. If me aunty had balls etc.

Mind boggling that people can't recognise a good young defender when they see one. I'm not sure if it's blinkers or what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I've already explained why i was unimpressed by him above!

And the point has been made that NOBODY can judge a player properly after only a handful of games . . I can think of loads of United players who would of never made it were they not given some time to settle. Evra and Vidic are the obvious two that currently spring to mind (awful first 6 months!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Take off the blue tinted glasses! He was ok but nothing spectacular, his tackling left an awfull lot to be desired and as a defended thats your main reason for being on the pitch , so all that equals and unimpressive display.

What did you want him to do? Make 15 goal line clearances, 21 last ditch tackles and 45 blocks? FFS he was playing out of position against the league's most potent attack in his second ever league game and was an integral part of a clean sheet.

Tinted glasses my hoop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Nope, today is a day for the city blue tinted glasses as you put it;) if ever there was one. We've read nothing but City can't and won't do it for the past few days, how we are a team of individuals and every second poster keeps spouting the same fecking one line they've heard on the telly which is that they won't do it against the smaller teams cos they aren't good enough attacking.

So I for one am putting back on the blue tinted glasses and enjoying the rest of the day................and then I will say with conviction

that Boyata was immense today:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Nope, today is a day for the city blue tinted glasses as you put it;) if ever there was one. We've read nothing but City can't and won't do it for the past few days, how we are a team of individuals and every second poster keeps spouting the same fecking one line they've heard on the telly which is that they won't do it against the smaller teams cos they aren't good enough attacking.

So I for one am putting back on the blue tinted glasses and enjoying the rest of the day................and then I will say with conviction

that Boyata was immense today:D

they won't do it against the smaller teams cos they aren't good enough attacking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Lukker- wrote: »
    they won't do it against the smaller teams cos they aren't good enough attacking.

Sorry, the blue tinted glasses make the page incredibly difficult to read:p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Exactly. Would've, could've, should've. If me aunty had balls etc.

Mind boggling that people can't recognise a good young defender when they see one. I'm not sure if it's blinkers or what.

I never said he did not have a good game, but as a defender giving away a clear penalty ( whether it was given or not is irelevant) is a bad move and would have changed most peoples view on his performance.

He did well but he was not really tested by chelsea, we moved the ball too slowly tbf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Well done to City, great defensive display. Boyata was excellent although was lucky to get away with a few off the ball incidents. Kompany and Toure were solid and I thought De Jong was motm.

Drogba had a shocker for us but I really don't understand taking him off, no matter how badly he was playing he can do something out of nothing and we just never looked like scoring in the last 15 minutes when we should have been really attacking City. Ivanovic was unlucky with the header that hit off the bar and I thought Anelka didn't do enough tracking back in the first half, he was pretty poor.

Malouda looked very lively but at times it was like he had to do it on his own, he wasn't getting much help out there. Essien was solid but his long range shots were pretty poor. Anyway can't argue too much with the result good finish by Tevez although Ramires was poor for the goal and looked very nervous out there.

Well done City, I don't think they will challenge for the title this season but top 4 without a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

kompany was immense. De Jong was on another level he was everywhere. Awful game though.

I think all the 'matey' crap that the African players enter into is effecting them in a professional manner. I think it takes the edge off them. It makesDrogba loose that natural animalistic energy he can have at times.
    I think Ancelotti needs to be having words with him about this. There is a time and a place to chat to your mates and the edge of a pitch before you enter into 'combat' isnt.
    adox wrote: »
    Yes that's it of course. :rolleyes:

Nothing to do with City out muscling them. I mean, seriously........

Oh ffs. Im talking about a deeper psychological and emotional edge. Which in effect would take a small portion of physical power out of the players and also makes them more comfortable and less willing to get 'aggressive' with friends

As for giving the 19yr old lad abuse. He done well. Nothing spectacular. No major mistakes. Solid display. Gary nev in his pomp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Very good game there today. Disappointed with the result, thought it was very 50-50. City had the defence organised very well, Hart didn't as much to do as Cech. Plenty of hard tackles flying in from both sides, wasn't too happy seeing Drogba getting taken off, a free kick or a corner and he could have stepped up.
    Ivanovic did well, poor lad got floored a few times during the day, unlucky he didn't get a goal from the headers. Thought bringing on Josh in a game with that much pressure may have been a step too far for him on the day, still, good expericence I hope.
    Can't argue with the result, Tevez moment of magic earned him the goal, Man city will be hard to beat this season if those displays keep coming.
    Good game City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

excellent result for city, tevez is a beast at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Classic Italian performance from Mancini's men today. If only they could replicate their form against the bigger boys in games against the so caller lesser teams they'd be serious championship contenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Good result but Man City are never going to win the league playing like that, they will get results against the big teams but they will draw far too many games that they would of won if they were just a bit more adventurous.

Having said that, gonna bask in the glory of this win for now. Who needs the league cup!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Excellent performance by the lads today, albeit against a very ordinary Chelsea side. Apart from the Ivanovic header that rattled the post in the first half, and the follow up header by the same player, Joe had nothing to do today. But then again, our defence was immense. Kolo and Vinnie are forming a very impressive central defensive partnership; two goals conceded in the first 6 matches. One of those was the last minute penalty at Sunderland thanks to Micah switching off and the other one was that farce of a goal against Blackburn (again, comic defending from Kolo and Joe). Kompany was immense today; to think we got him for £6-7m, and he's still only 24! And Nigel was a colossus patrolling in front of the back 4. Malouda, Drogba and Anelka hardly got a kick (bad news for my FF team, but I'll live with it!) and Essien was restricted to long range efforts. Silva is just beginning to look like he's finding his premier league legs and Carlos was his usual predatory self (we won't mention that sitter at Sunderland!) Now we have to put in similarly committed performances against the so-called ''lesser'' teams. After Juve next thursday we have Newcastle (H), Blackpool (A), Arsenal (H) and Wolves (A) in october. If we're serious about a top 4 spot, we have to be looking at 10 points minimum from those 4 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Was listening to Kenny Cunningham and John Giles there on the premiership.

They were saying about Yaya being played out of position and giving this as a reason, and tactical flaw why City cant challenge for the league? Are they high? I thought Yaya was very good today, and has been everytime Ive seen him. He brings a seriously dynamic option from midfield, is a tank, and has very good feet but above all has a football brain.

Does anyone agree with those two stoners?

Also, De Jong was massive today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

I agree with DMC being his best position, but City have De Jong there and he is probably the best DMC in the league IMO. Toure was very good today and he's better going forward than De Jong so i think City are correct to have him as is.

Cunninghams a tool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

I agree with DMC being his best position, but City have De Jong there and he is probably the best DMC in the league IMO. Toure was very good today and he's better going forward than De Jong so i think City are correct to have him as is.

Cunninghams a tool!
    Agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

They were saying about Yaya being played out of position and giving this as a reason, and tactical flaw why City cant challenge for the league? Are they high? I thought Yaya was very good today, and has been everytime Ive seen him. He brings a seriously dynamic option from midfield, is a tank, and has very good feet but above all has a football brain.

The reason Yaya was played as a DMF at Barca was because he had Xavi and Iniesta playing ahead of him, an attacking pair as good as you can get. Yaya is a fantastic all around CMF, he is excellent at playing the box to box role ala Essien. It's the same scenario as Essien a few seasons ago, excellent as a DMF, but really a proper powerful CMF. Don't listen to the sh*te that Giles or Cunningham will spout, I've watched Toure and his dynamism was apparent on any occasion he wasn't utilised as an out and out DMF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

eZe^ wrote: »
    The reason Yaya was played as a DMF at Barca was because he had Xavi and Iniesta playing ahead of him, an attacking pair as good as you can get. Yaya is a fantastic all around CMF, he is excellent at playing the box to box role ala Essien. It's the same scenario as Essien a few seasons ago, excellent as a DMF, but really a proper powerful CMF. Don't listen to the sh*te that Giles or Cunningham will spout, I've watched Toure and his dynamism was apparent on any occasion he wasn't utilised as an out and out DMF.

Yeah couldnt agree more. He looks fantastic this season and as a United fan, Id be fairly fearful of himself and De Jong against our midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Yaya was always quality going forward. I put him in my FF team at the start of the season as I knew he'd be given the opportunity to get forward for City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Lol, according to Shearer Villa played very well against Chelsea today for Man City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Good result for the rest of the league. I had a feeling City would do it. Very dull contest though. I literally fell asleep during it.

So much for Chelsea being the new untouchables. They stuff a few relegation candidates and the media goes bananas over them. I always felt those opening games gave a false impression and that the real test would follow the Blackpool game. Since then they are out of a competition and have lost to City, with Arsenal to follow. Hopefully Wenger will take points off them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Good result for the rest of the league. I had a feeling City would do it. Very dull contest though. I literally fell asleep during it.

So much for Chelsea being the new untouchables. They stuff a few relegation candidates and the media goes bananas over them. I always felt those opening games gave a false impression and that the real test would follow the Blackpool game. Since then they are out of a competition and have lost to City, with Arsenal to follow. Hopefully Wenger will take points off them too.
    Weird; I also fell asleep watching it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Sleeping on the job, Mr. Redknapp? Poor form :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Archimedes wrote: »
    Sleeping on the job, Mr. Redknapp? Poor form :p

It was a top, top sleep. ;)

Advertisement