Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog being spayed........

Options
  • 24-09-2010 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Probably even as I type my poor dog is being spayed!!!

She bounced gleefully into the vet's surgery this morning....furiously wagging her tale and ready to explore. :D

I know it's the right thing for her....but I guess I'm just a tweensy weensy bit nervous that she'll be ok.

Apart from her being sore and sorry for herself what else should I expect??
    Any changes in her behaviour - short-term or long-term??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Don't worry. She'll be fine. Every dog reacts different but almost always for the better. My dog is still as daft as she was before the spaying.
    She'll be tender for a couple of days but soon back to normal.
    Your vet will explain all i'm sure later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

She'll be perfect!
    There'll be no difference in her, I've had all 4 of my females spayed and none of them changed temperament or put on weight or any of the other myths that are meant to happen. After a day or so they were trying to run around as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I know how worrying it can be but she will be fine. I was a ball of nerves when Tilly was in for hers and wasnt as bad when Ozzie went in to get done.

She was a bit groggy that evening and the next day but after a few days she was fine. We needed the cone thing for her head but depends on the dog if they go at the stitches or not. Just dont let her jump up on the couch etc as she could tear her stitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Just to let you know and anyone who is thinking of getting their bitch spayed, you have to watch out for canine urinary incontinence, female dogs are most at risk after being Spayed, It results in the dog not being able to hold urine and uncontrolable going, even when she is a sleep, not good if she is an indoor dog. The vet cant do much and may put her on Propalin or a another expensive drug.

I was going to rant about how organisations only speak about the benifits to getting a dog done(and scare monger talking about the animals health) but never the downsides.

I hope everything goes well for your little girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Just to let you know and anyone who is thinking of getting their bitch spayed, you have to watch out for canine urinary incontinence, female dogs are most at risk after being Spayed, It results in the dog not being able to hold urine and uncontrolable going, even when she is a sleep, not good if she is an indoor dog. The vet cant do much and may put her on Propalin or a another expensive drug.

I was going to rant about how organisations only speak about the benifits to getting a dog done(and scare monger talking about the animals health) but never the downsides.

i had my little girl done a few days ago, and seems to be dropping very small amounts of urine all over the place, i did realise the op had to do with it, but will it ease off and will she come back to normal, and how long will it take for her bladder to hold properly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭theghost

After the first night I doubt if she'll even be feeling sorry for herself. I had my eldest done at 6 months and the youngest done at a year. The biggest problem I encountered was trying to keep them quiet for the week until the stitches were removed. Both were bouncing the next day and wanted to chase balls. No problems with leaking whatsoever.

The middle dog was spayed just before we got her at 2 years of age. While she does have a problem with leaking since then she only does it when stressed and it has nothing to do with the spaying. Months can go by without a problem but when something upsets her - i.e. this week I was looking after a pair of guinea pigs and, because I didn't trust the dogs around them they were banished from the guinea pigs's temporary abode, she got upset because she couldn't be with me while I fed the intruders - she started to leak again.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Lily10

Very true, I had to do a paper on this for school. However, you should compare the risks, the percentage of risk for urine incontinence is about 3%. The risk of a female dog developing mammary cancer is 26% if she is not spayed before her first heat cycle and it goes up with each heat cycle.. I know I would prefer a dog leaking a little urine (which can be helped with meds) to the dog with mammary cancer which is almost always fatal.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

I have had all my bitches spayed and not had canine urinary incontinence.

There are always negative things that happen in life you just have to be aware of them and weigh up the chances. At least I know my bitches will not get pyometra (womb infection which can be fatal) or unwanted pups. I would sooner have a incontinent dog than to have no dog.

There is always two sides of the coin, you just have to weigh up the pros and cons and go which way you think is best for yourself and your bitch.

Either way I know which way I will always go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i am expecting this urinary incontinence to settle down, i am guessing for some dogs it can happen but for a while after. it is only 6 days now since she was spayed, will be getting the stitches out in another 4 days, only problem i am having is keeping her from jumping and running, also if days are wet when out for walks, i have to keep to the roads to keep the stitches dry,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

Miss_Ellie, how is your little one now?

I got my pup spayed on Friday aswell. She was a little tender on Friday and feeling sorry for herself. She is back to her usual mental self since Saturday morning. Raring to get going and trying to jump all round the place so think the main problem for the next couple of weeks will be keeping her quiet. The vet gave me painkillers for a couple of days but I still haven't used them as she has been in such good form with no pain. you would not think she had a fairly serious operation on Friday at all.

Hope things went as smoothly for you. Like yourself I was so worried all day Friday. Felt real guilty as she bounced into the vets surgery like yours!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

just to add - we have no problem with urinary incontinence....she woke us at 8.30am on Saturday morning needing to go to the toilet (even though I had been up and let her out at 6 aswell) so it was just a need to go more often. That was because she was drinking more water after the anasethic though.

Advertisement