Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PREGNANCY AND SMOKING

• 24-09-2010 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

PREGNANCY AND SMOKING
    HI

IM 32 weeks pregnant and my doc just gave me the nicorette inhaler to try to stop smoking as i am really bad with my chest at present... i was wondering if i can use the patch as the inhaler is makin me sick its disgusting lol... im sure if i can use inhaler i can use the patch... nd im not lookin for medical advice just wondering has anyone used anythin like this at this stage

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I think your bad chest is the least of your worries tbh.. You're 32 weeks pregnant and you're only now trying to quit smoking? And probably under duress from your Doctor aswel.. And you seem to think it's funny..

Good luck with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 babymakenzie

HMMM OKAY MR OR MRS SMARTY,
    i was off the cigarettes for ages and had an extremely stressful time with a death in the family nd all so i ended goin bak on them hense the reason im tryin to get bak off...... nd fyi i was smoking with all my other children each are perfectly healthy so dont dare get to me tryin to be smart cse it doesn work i asked a simple question OKAY....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

HMMM OKAY MR OR MRS SMARTY,
    i was off the cigarettes for ages and had an extremely stressful time with a death in the family nd all so i ended goin bak on them hense the reason im tryin to get bak off...... nd fyi i was smoking with all my other children each are perfectly healthy so dont dare get to me tryin to be smart cse it doesn work i asked a simple question OKAY....

<snip> Do not drag stuff from outsite this forum in here, if you have an issue with a thread or post report it</snip>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Rather than pass snide remarks maybe someone could try answering the OP's question?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Where there deaths in the family on your other 3 pregnancies as well?

I'm a woman, and I'm 29 weeks pregnant, and have made plenty of sacrifices since being pregnant.

I bet you're one of those people who drives along smoking with all your kids in the car, with all the windows rolled up.. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

HI

IM 32 weeks pregnant and my doc just gave me the nicorette inhaler to try to stop smoking as i am really bad with my chest at present... i was wondering if i can use the patch as the inhaler is makin me sick its disgusting lol... im sure if i can use inhaler i can use the patch... nd im not lookin for medical advice just wondering has anyone used anythin like this at this stage

It depends how much you smoke tbh. I quit smoking today(4th time this year). I smoke about 40 a day so I was told to use the patch. I have tried the inhaler as well but it doesn't do much for me. The patch is for heavier smokers and the inhaler is used if you are not a chimney. Do not use both at the same time tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

I think the best thing to do would be to go to your doctor and ask him what you can/can't do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Why do you need to use anything?
    I used to smoke - 12-15 a day, and 3 years ago went cold turkey and haven't smoked since.
    All it takes is willpower, its not easy but you do have your unborn child's health as a motivator to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

It could just be the case that the disability was not a pregnancy related issue and she just did not feel it worth mentioning in that context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

For many many many years smoking was not considered bad during pregnancy and then and today many women manage to give birth to reasonably healthy babies despite smoking.

She is asking for help and support and suggestions not to be preached and moralised to.

I would suggest that on your next check up with the dr or with the midwife in the maternity hospital that you talk to them there about it. I am sure you know it's best for your health, that of the babies and your other kids to try and have them in a non smoking house, it won't be easy but you can manage it.

Airing out the house will help as will getting some fabreeze and washing the clothes so try and remove the old smoke smell which can trigger cravings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

If you think the patch will work use it. Its not a good idea to use any nicotine products at all but a patch is better than 20 fags a day. I stopped smoking for good 7 years ago using the Alan carr book and clinic and found it brilliant. But you need to want to stop for good, not just til your chest gets better or you have the baby because you haven't a hope of stopping if thats how your feeling...even with the patch.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭bytey

Thaedydal wrote: »
    For many many many years smoking was not considered bad during pregnancy and then and today many women manage to give birth to reasonably healthy babies despite smoking.

1/ babies born to a smoker mother have altered DNA , and have a much higher risk of serious disease at any age after birth , but generally the issues hit them in late twenties to 40 .

2/ Even pre conception , if the father or mother smokes , the ova and sperm are DNA damaged - you should be off smokes for a year or more before conceiving - to be sure.

and no im not going to link to studies etc - its also plain commonsense more than anything .

things like radiation tend to produce obvious physical abnormalities in kids

smoking tends to cause ticking time bomb issues that hit in later age in offspring.

if you smoke , you are helping to kill your kids.

nicotine patches etc , are alot safer to use , they do not contain the thousands of dangerous chemicals - apart from of course nicotine - that smoke does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I can't understand why anyone would do anything that could possibly pose a risk to an unborn baby, especially when it is smoking where the health risks to both yourself and the baby are proven.

If you ever get the opportunity to go to the 'Bodies' exhibition, they have the lungs of a non smoker and the lungs of a '20 a day' smoker. The difference is unbelieveable! How anyone can think that smoking doesn't have a detrimental effect on an unborn fetus is beyond me! The effects may not be obvious initially, but they are they and they will show themselves eventually!

Yes babies are born 'healthy', many premature or on the small side. But if you look at their placenta - their life source whilst in utero - and compare it to the placenta of a non smoker, thats where you will see the obvious effects of smoking during pregnancy, and believe me its not pretty. A compromised placenta will compromise the health of the fetus it is supporting.

I'm not wanting to sound judgemental, because although I feel strongly that you shouldn't smoke during pregnancy or around little people who do not essentially have a voice to protect their health, I don't think its my place to judge. However I do hope that my comments will help any smokers who smoke during pregnancy to consider the little life they are supporting. There are women who would literally sacrifice their mother to have a baby of their own, and women like babymackelzie just don't realise how very lucky they are to be able to have babies.

@ babymackenzie - Good luck with the quitting, I hope you find a solution that works for you. If you are unsure as to what is safe, maybe speak to your GP or ring the national smokers quitline 1850201203. There is also a very good website with lots of advice: http://www.giveupsmoking.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Look yes smoking during pregnancy is less then ideal but the poster is here for help and advice about quiting and not to be condemed for it. If you can not post in a helpful manner don't bother posting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Op, I'd suggest reading the alan carr book. You have the greatest reason in the world in your tummy do use the opportunity. Pregnant women can't take anything stronger than paracetemol so I can't see how nicotine replacement is good for the baby.

I gave up smoking years ago; at the start I used patches but they made me feel really ill. Then I read the alan carr book and it just made sense. I wasn't giving up something I was taking up healthy living.

I'm just back from my hols and sometimes it was tough not drinking alcohol and being the sober one when others were having a few drinks but I'd feel the little babs kicking and it reminded me why I was sipping my fizzy water instead of a vodka tonic.

My advice is to try the alan carr book and speak to your doctor again. Being an ex smoker I know it's tough to give up and tougher to stay off them but it can be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

I can't offer any advice op but just wanted to wish you the very best of luck. It's a difficult thing to do but I am sure you'll find it with in yourself to give them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

I gave up smoking years ago using a combination of hypnotherapy and acupuncture. From 40 - 50 a day to nothing.

I had great motivation in that I had developed health problems directly caused by my smoking which receded once I gave up.

You have an amazing motivating factor in that you're carrying a little life that deserves the best chance it can get. Can I suggest that you educate yourself on the dangers of passive smoking and smoking while pregnant. Unfortunately, your two current children have been effected by your smoking, whether it appears to you that they have or not, and learning of these effects as well could also prove to be a significant motivator.

I wasn't going to say this, but I think I should. You should lose, or at least change, your attitude to those who criticise you. Sure, they may not have the right to judge you, but they are correct in what they're saying with regard to the damage that smoking does. It's only when you acknowledge the damage that is being done, rather than denying it, that you'll finally be in control by being clear in your head about what you're doing. Then you'll view it as something you can and should control, and you'll be able to give it up.

The best of luck.

Advertisement