Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alfa Romeo Giulietta - Thoughts?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

It looks good, but the name will hurt them more than they may ever know in English speaking countries IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Looks alright for a hatchback....

the name in my mind has instantaneously thrown it into the shirt lifter / female appeal catagory

resale value will be horrible considering alfas reputation.

i wish alfa the best with it but i dont see this as the goldmine they had hoped, the only real thing i can see is because the bog spec is in band A lots of the general irish sheep (whod rather vote garry glitter and a catholic priest into minister for children than pay over 150 euro in road tax) will buy it for being 'cheap to tax'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

persoanlly i love alfa's think most of them are glorious looking machines....

but this is a bit of a pig really for me... if i was buying a C class segment car... would look elsewhere...

and the name is a bit ghay alright.... so no thanks alfa

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

Cyril sounds like he doesnt know what he is on about:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I'm unsure about the front, would need to see it in reality but otherwise what's not to like? Great interior, handles well by all accounts (great reviews in the press even allowing for rose-tinted affection for Alfa) and some fabulous engines (170bhp 1.4 petrol in VRT band B!)

If it was a VAG marque the Boards populace would be wiping sticky gooey stuff off the keyboard...

And Giulietta is a traditional Alfa name. No gayer than an A3 and a fair bit less camp than a MINI IMO...

And in response to the original question - hell, yeah I'd buy in a flash compared to anything else in this class...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

the name in my mind has instantaneously thrown it into the shirt lifter / female appeal catagory
    robtri wrote: »
    and the name is a bit ghay alright.... so no thanks alfa

And you two call yourselves car enthusiasts? :D The name Giulietta means something to anyone with more than a passing interest in cars - that's like not knowing what a Capri is!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

This is my wifes next car, and I will have no problem driving this car.
    It always has been a great name. Personally sends shivers down my spine. But that's just me. Always been a sucker for Italian cars. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Joe 90

Giulietta is a traditional Alfa name but traditional Giuliettas were RWD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

I love it, saw one in white in the flesh and it looks very good especially the rear end.

Great range of engines too.

Hope they've upped the interior quality over previous models.

The biggest issue is the savage depreciation :mad:

Anan1 wrote: »
    And you two call yourselves car enthusiasts? :D The name Giulietta means something to anyone with more than a passing interest in cars - that's like not knowing what a Capri is!

theres a big difference between this and the old model, the old model first off was rear wheel drive, the marketing slogan was never 'its 104 euro road tax' and considering alfa are marketing it based on cheap road tax that also means not a single one of them will be bought in the higher version, only poverty spec, so in summary its another tiny engined fwd hatchback with cloth seats and massive depreciation

just like films, the remake is never half as good as the original

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

theres a big difference between this and the old model, the old model first off was rear wheel drive, the marketing slogan was never 'its 104 euro road tax' and considering alfa are marketing it based on cheap road tax that also means not a single one of them will be bought in the higher version, only poverty spec, so in summary its another tiny engined fwd hatchback with cloth seats and massive depreciation

just like films, the remake is never half as good as the original

This is all true. But you can't blame Alfa for resurrecting such a brilliant name and trying to make a few quid to survive at the same time. But let be just say my wife will be getting a petrol one NOT an oil burner. The only oil that should be burnt in an Alfa is the 10W30 variety.. :)

.....,. waits for abuse.

CarMuppet wrote: »
    This is all true. But you can't blame Alfa for resurrecting such a brilliant name and trying to make a few quid to survive at the same time. But let be just say my wife will be getting a petrol one NOT an oil burner. The only oil that should be burnt in an Alfa is the 10W30 variety.. :)

.....,. waits for abuse.

im sure it will do plenty of that

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Tae laidir

It was originally to be called 'Milano', but Fiat closed the Alfa Romeo factory there, build it their factory in Turin, and decided to resurrect the much loved (in Italy) Giullietta.

As for the puny engines, a 140bhp 2.0 Litre diesel with 119g/100km will be available shortly. Band A motoring will never be as good.

Unfortunately, in Ireland, too many got seduced and burned by the 156 experience, and I fear it will remain a car for the few.
    Then again, I thought that about the Renault Megane!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

I passed a white one on the M7 today outside Kildare.

I was VERY impressed with the looks.

So much to I kept stairing as I passed it and in the rear view mirror. The driver realising this flashed the lights :)

Very nice looking on the road however I feel as others have pointed out it will only be a niche vehicle at best

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Considering FIAT (i.e. Alfa) have pioneered probably the most significant advances in the internal combustion engine over the last 20 years I hope that's a tongue in cheek comment!

CR diesels, the multiair etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Best looking sub-30k car by far, possibly best looking hatch ever? One of them anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭RobertM

The new platform it's based on is brilliant as well. Top marks in the Euro Ncap, excellent choice of engines and above all, it's an Alfa, what more do you want ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Giulia = Julia
    Giulietta = Juliet

So the car has a female name and you won't drive it because of it? Yet all 'proper men' call their car "she" and "her".

I'll never understand either :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It is, by all accounts, an excellent engine (award winning too I think).
    so in summary its another tiny engined fwd hatchback with cloth seats and massive depreciation

This is what it looks like with the leather interior. Not too shabby.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

SPAD_AlfaGiulietta01.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

People who buy a Golf/Focus/Auris over this really are what makes the world a boring place at times. There is not another car in this sector i would take over it.

1750 tbi please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

I'll have the petrol one for test in December, I can't wait to have a go in it. Looks nice but it's a bit like the Mito around the front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Bodhan wrote: »
    I'll have the petrol one for test in December, I can't wait to have a go in it. Looks nice but it's a bit like the Mito around the front.

Its far nicer than a MiTo round the front in real life ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Saw a white one in the flesh - looked amazing. I'd be very interested in 2/3 years when I am changing again.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I test drove one this week lovely car. Looking for one for the wife. The rear of the car looked super. And the cloverleaf spec is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭SomeDude

johnos1984 wrote: »
    Very nice looking on the road however I feel as others have pointed out it will only be a niche vehicle at best

I think part of the reason this car won't be a big success in Ireland is the Alfa dealer network. They only have 6 sales dealers in the country. 4 in Dublin, 1 in Waterford and 1 in Cork. That's not a lot of troops on the ground when your up against the likes of VW and Ford!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I think it looks absolutely deadly!!! If I was in the market for a new car in this segment, I'd definitely buy one no matter what people said about it!!

Well done Alfa, you've just built an affordable, smaller 8C :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Lovely looking car and pretty cool video too - fair play Motorcheck!

I'm not sure about the fleet angle though, I doubt any of the fleet companies are going to sell this car in any meaningful numbers. I think they'd be better off working really hard at the retail end of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

As a MiTo owner I have to confess my like for the new Alfa look. Saw the Guilettas again today and I really like them.
    The multiair turbo is really great to drive too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Alfa you've done it yet again. Fantastic stuff.

Interior (This) is by far and away at the top of that segment and the exterior is just jaw dropping.

How on earth anyone could buy a ****in boring Golf or Auris over one of these stunning cars I just don't know.

Advertisement