Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting an abandoned dog into Kennels while on holiday

Options
  • 24-09-2010 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just wondering if someone could give me some advice.

I took in a dog that was either abandoned or had strayed in January this year. He is a mixed terrier, very obedient and well mannered. he is also blind. We are going on holiday in Novemeber for 2 weeks and I was wondering how he would react to being placed in either kennels or dog minder for the two weeks (we cannot take him with us) and would he remember us when we came back. We are planning on taking him to a place for an overnight trial to see how he gets on. within the next couple of weeks. Has anyone been in this position before and if so how did it work out (not sure if taking him to kennel or a dog minder would be best)?

By the way, this is the first time I have owned a dog so am never new to all this so if these are stupid questions I apologise!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Hey OP,

He will remember you by your smell, two weeks wont make him forget you!

Where are you located and someone here might be able to recommend a dog minder. I think someone that could take him in their home might be better than kennels. Less stressful for him.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭mohenley

Thanks TillyGirl

I got a contact from the boards for a dog minder (in their home) which I am going to trial as I think that this would be better than a kennels as he does not like it when lots of dogs barking etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭shelly_g

my Golden goes to Kennels when we are away. we have left him 3 times at this stage...

Last time he was quite upset at going in. Sounds silly but I think he senced we were going and he was sick twice the morning we went .... on collection he was perfect and he gave a cuddle to the lady minding him before we left :)

Id prefer to have someone take care of him here so he is at home and comfy but I dont have anyone that would be willing ...

As your doggie is Blind it makes it even more difficult .... he no doubt relies on you for alot of the day to day things .... so he would need alot of attention in the Kennels if u did leave him ...

I would say u need to do alot of research into ur local Kennels and figure if any of them will offer you doggie the attention he needs ...

where in country are u based

Good Luck and Enjoy ur holiday .... :)

thanks for the advice, i am in county kildare. for a blind dog he is very self sufficient (and great smell), once he knows the layout, i am amazed by what he can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭shelly_g

mohenley wrote: »
    thanks for the advice, i am in county kildare. for a blind dog he is very self sufficient (and great smell), once he knows the layout, i am amazed by what he can do.

My friends dog is blind in one eye and he manages well ...

Im sure someone here will have a suggestion for the Kildare area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I'd suggest someone who minds dogs in their home (the person's not the dog's). I think they find the homey atmosphere easier to settle in to. I minded a 16 year old blind dog recently, he hadn't been minded outside his home in 13 years and he did brilliantly. He was able to navigate quite quickly, picked his 'spot' in the house and we put his bed there. He got on grand with my lot but he and my old lady didn't want a part of each other, and there I was thinking they'd enjoy being OAPs together :rolleyes:

thanks all, I have another query that I hope someone could maybe provide some guidance on.

at the weekend we went to visit the inlaws and took the dog with us. The inlaws have a lovely big male lab but he is very soft. Anyhow our dog being a terrier sussed this and in essence was bullying the lab, growling at him, taking his toy of him etc. I am not happy with this but other than commanding him and being around him I am not sure how best to resolve this. He is fine with humans and shows no agression (other than usual barking on other side of gate if unknown person is there). He is also fine with other dogs (once they put him in his place, i.e growl back he will become submissive) but poor lab is just too gentle and won't growl.

Any ideas on how we could resolve this? We would want to bring him down with us when we visit but I don't want the lab to be intimidated in his own territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Thedogspyjamas

mohenley wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just wondering if someone could give me some advice.

I took in a dog that was either abandoned or had strayed in January this year. He is a mixed terrier, very obedient and well mannered. he is also blind. We are going on holiday in Novemeber for 2 weeks and I was wondering how he would react to being placed in either kennels or dog minder for the two weeks (we cannot take him with us) and would he remember us when we came back. We are planning on taking him to a place for an overnight trial to see how he gets on. within the next couple of weeks. Has anyone been in this position before and if so how did it work out (not sure if taking him to kennel or a dog minder would be best)?

By the way, this is the first time I have owned a dog so am never new to all this so if these are stupid questions I apologise!

Thanks

I'm board small doggies comfortably at my home, especially handicapped ones. Where are you located. I am in Galway. Let me know if I can be of help.

Advertisement