Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best weed killer to use in a flower bed

Options
  • 24-09-2010 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

HI i want to make a flower bed but all the soil ive piled up is now full of weeds what is the best way to kill the weeds either some thing i can make up or buy that will not ruein the soil for the plants ?

Would i be best to just buy a bag of compost and put it on top of the soil or will the weeds just come up with the compoist there ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Roundup as its only absorped through the green foliage and becomes neutral when it falls on the soil...

Best spray, wait till they die back..... turn the soil over and wait for any further weeds to come up, roundup again. Spring time would be best to get a full kill of weeds..

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

bbam wrote: »
    Roundup as its only absorped through the green foliage and becomes neutral when it falls on the soil...

Best spray, wait till they die back..... turn the soil over and wait for any further weeds to come up, roundup again. Spring time would be best to get a full kill of weeds..

I have heard that Roundup tends to buildup in High Organic Soils!!! (Peat soils etc...) and effect later crops Grown in this soil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭vandammaged

Use Boiling Water its nature's way of saying its too damn hot.

High Five

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Usually when weeds grow in a flower bed its best to resort to bending over and pulling them; doesn't take too long, you won't poison anything (worms, beetles, birds, frogs etc.), you'll save a few quid, and you'll feel better afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Usually when weeds grow in a flower bed its best to resort to bending over and pulling them; doesn't take too long, you won't poison anything (worms, beetles, birds, frogs etc.), you'll save a few quid, and you'll feel better afterwards!

Have to Agree with you in most cases where it's a small Area.. or if you have the time ...and if the Weed is easily killed this way...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭vandammaged

I just looked at the thread Poster there and I started laughing You know the Night rider is a computer selling Machine :)

I never say saw him and someone who does gardening.
    HI i want to make a flower bed but all the soil ive piled up is now full of weeds what is the best way to kill the weeds either some thing i can make up or buy that will not ruein the soil for the plants ?

Would i be best to just buy a bag of compost and put it on top of the soil or will the weeds just come up with the compoist there ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

From what I read OP isn't looking to weed a flower bed but rather clear weedy ground to start a flower bed... If the weeds, particularly the perennial weeds aren't killed off before planting it will be a nightmare to get it sorted... I've made that mistake in the past through impatience and it's a damn nuisance..

Clear the weeds, dig in lots of compost/manure and your flowers will do well..

Advertisement