Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working for Paddy Power

Options
  • 24-09-2010 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

Does anybody know what Paddy Power are like as employers? I'm thinking of applying for a job there in Marketing and I was wondering if it is considered a good place to work?

Any comments are welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I've a few pals there... great spot to work by all accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

3DataModem wrote: »

i'll second that,pretty fair with their share allocations also,i have an Aunt who's worked with them for years,she has shares(mostly free on'e and a some bought)worth about €50k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

That marketing job seems to be permanently up on jobs.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

3DataModem wrote: »

I'm not surprised, after all the lolly I have left them:D

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭bret69

I've noticed that, it's actually what made me ask the question.

I wonder if it's down to their online business constantly expanding and therefore they're hiring more and more online marketers or is it that the people they hire for the role are leaving very quickly.

Of course, it could just be that they're very picky with who they're hiring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Bumping this rather than starting a new thread.

I have an interview with PP soon, just wondering if anyone has any further experience of working there? Any idea if there's any benefits, healthcare, anything like that?

Tallaght would be a nightmare for me to get to every day, so hoping it's a good position/package. Generally, I've heard that they're better employers than most bookies/gambling places but that doesn't stand for much really.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

FYI for those who care. I was speaking to a recruiter today who has done some work for them. She told me that they're not stingy with the cash when they find the right person and apparently the benefits are good. No further details other than apparently it had a bit of a rep for being a "blokey" place but that may have changed over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Does anyone have any more details? I am thinking of applying for a development role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

I'm currently recruiting for them. They pay very well but only for the right people, you have to be top of your game to get a job there in IT. They really only take the very best. They're hiring in a big way at the moment and will be till past Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 feelo

I'm thinking of appying for a part-time customer service position. Anyone know what the rate of pay is? even rough ball park figure?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Which isn't really a good sign.

It could be one of these places, where the minute you step in the door they're already trying to kick your arse out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

krd wrote: »
    Which isn't really a good sign.

It could be one of these places, where the minute you step in the door they're already trying to kick your arse out.

TBH a number of companies are continuously recruiting so they just leave the ad up I know we have the same ad's up for 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

feelo wrote: »
    I'm thinking of appying for a part-time customer service position. Anyone know what the rate of pay is? even rough ball park figure?

Bumping this rather than starting a new thread.

Same question, does anyone know roughly what they pay per hour for customer support position?

Also, Horse Racing Traders...is someone with industry experience less likely to be considered than graduates with third level degrees?

any info appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Rather than start a new thread ill bump this one. I've applied for a cashier position.
    I've a lot of previous experience but not with powers.
    Anyone know what their rate of pay for starters??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

ArtyC wrote: »
    Rather than start a new thread ill bump this one. I've applied for a cashier position.
    I've a lot of previous experience but not with powers.
    Anyone know what their rate of pay for starters??

Worked as a cashier for three years; above the min wage I think. It was a college job for me and can't rem all the perks but they are excellent for travel expenses (say if you had to work in a different shop for a day).

Worked with another bookies before Powers and anyone I know working for another one got a much rawer deal. Powers def the best of them imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Thanks. Here's hoping it goes well. I did work for another bookie also and got asked back but they weren't very fair at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

ArtyC wrote: »
    Thanks. Here's hoping it goes well. I did work for another bookie also and got asked back but they weren't very fair at times.

Meant to add that they provide full training too. I know you already have bookie experience but they do expect you to attend training.

When I started in the other bookies, I was 17, given zero training, whereas Paddy Power gave me three all-expenses days in Dublin training. That was in the dying days of the Celtic Tiger though dunno what the story is now!

The perks are good, they do draws across the stores for things like gigs. I know two from the shop nearest to us got tickets to Take That at Croke Park and another from our shop got tix to Cheltenham over Christmas.

As someone said earlier the share options are great too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Steinbeck

They've been hiring a LOT in the past year. Plus they tend not to remove job ads because some positions are live for ages as people come and go. The myth that they hire only the best is all done with smoke and mirrors: and even if they hire TOP GUNS they leave within 2 years leaving the old core behind. Very pressurised environment and tendency to stress and squeeze employees beyond any limit. Of course it depends a lot on the department: no good stories from Dev. team and Online Marketing. They pay well but in line with gaming companies. A few recruiters confirmed that people keep leaving. Worst company I've worked in Ireland and in few other countries. If you have to work for them, stay as much as you can and then move on. Terrible company values.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I thought they treated their staff very well, but they were an extremely unethical company to work for. I quit because of this.

If you don't mind taking money from people with gambling problems, it is a nice place to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

If you don't mind taking money from people with gambling problems, it is a nice place to work.

I don't work for PP or have never had anything to do with them but your above statement is irrelevant imo. If a person knows they're addicted to gambling and they genuinely want help they can tell the shops not to accept bets off him/her. I gamble in PP and don't care whether I win or lose its just fun.

Getting back on topic, 2 friends worked as cashiers and they said it was grand, nothing special but decent money.

• Advertisement

dobman88 wrote: »
    I don't work for PP or have never had anything to do with them but your above statement is irrelevant imo. If a person knows they're addicted to gambling and they genuinely want help they can tell the shops not to accept bets off him/her.

It's a little bit more complicated than that. You are talking about an ideal world where companies are ethical.

It's a little bit more complicated than that. You are talking about an ideal world where companies are ethical.

The company have a "Responsible Gaming" section in all their shops and on the website don't they?? Also, if a guy asked you to not take a bet, it is up to you to enforce that.

dobman88 wrote: »
    The company have a "Responsible Gaming" section in all their shops and on the website don't they?? Also, if a guy asked you to not take a bet, it is up to you to enforce that.

It really doesn't work that way, but I don't want to get into a debate about it as you've never worked there.

I don't want to debate it either, just a quick question though. If you did enforce it, would you be penalised by the company?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

I worked in Dial a Bet for 3 and a half years and to be honest its a good place to work, I made 27000 on average a year with bonus and bank holiday money for a call centre thats not bad. There is a lot of internal promotion and the training staff and management in Dial a Bet are pretty sound. Personally I have all the time in the world for them hence why I went back for Cheltenham for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 clownfrown

Just wondering how often a senior cashier gets paid, monthly? weekly? Also do they have any bonuses? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Rurbs

I have any interview for a position of Sports Risk Executive next week. Just wondering if anyone has experience working within that department or maybe what to expect in the interview?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Gus Ivey

Hope you don't mind me bumping this old thread.

I also have an upcoming interview with Paddy Power as a Risk Executive

I was wondering if anyone had any interview tips regarding types of questions I might expect?

Advertisement