Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Carrigaline-Douglas area

Options
  • 24-09-2010 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I have eircom (download up to 3mb) and it is sooo slow in the past few months and this week in particular, and even to upgrade it is so expensive and I cannot see Next Generation Broadband being available anytime soon around here - does anyone have a good broadband service in the areas mentioned above that they can recommend? Many thanks

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I live in douglas and have Eircom 7mb with decent speed.
    Also got a yoke in the door the other day saying Next Gen Broadband would be activated in the next 2 months...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Mine has been unusable every evening after 7pm for the last 3/4 months. Most evenings it won't even connect and the odd time that it does, it is a slow as dial-up. I have complained but both vodafone and eircom say there is nothing they can do.

Next Gen is due here soon, but form what I have heard it will not improve things. Will wiat and see how it goes but may have to switch to UPC if it doesnt get a lot better. Don't want to do that though as their tv service is crap and I don't want to take that.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I had UPC in the city when I lived there and it was brilliant in fairness.
    I would have stuck with them but no UPC internet in Douglas though ( not where I live anyway....)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I'm in Douglas too - have 3mb broadband and get around 2.73 on average. There is no noticable decrease in service at anytime really. Maybe I am really close to the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

lledar wrote: »
    I have eircom (download up to 3mb) and it is sooo slow in the past few months and this week in particular, and even to upgrade it is so expensive and I cannot see Next Generation Broadband being available anytime soon around here - does anyone have a good broadband service in the areas mentioned above that they can recommend? Many thanks

Have you rang them up about it? I know of someone who got their eircom broadband fixed, but then it was slower than it was. So a friend who worked for eircom was able to show that they had actually turned it down at the exchange or something when they were fixing it and never put the speed back up! So he put it back up to normal again.

So it could be something as simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

i too am in douglas im on the 3mb package, i have never had any speed problems around 6-9pm...its on average around the 2.61 mark.

next gen broadband won't be here until November according to their map,

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

Friend has novanetworks broadband in Carrigaline and its excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Not able to connect to broadband at all this evening. Anyone else having trouble? I'm in the rochestown area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Friend has novanetworks broadband in Carrigaline and its excellent

I have them too.

They're a good service alright. If there's any problem you just ring them up, and they'll be back to you as soon as they can. And then it will be sorted. I've had problems with old equipment dying on the day before Christmas Eve, and Dave had it diagnosed in minutes and a replacement part out to me in a matter of hours to arrive that day. If that had been any big company it'd have been weeks before it was sorted, with diagnosing it, sending engineers and then shipping parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭SJT1

I live in Herons Wood, with eircom, have the 7mb package with them since May, hasn't been right since I joined up with them. Just did a speedtest there and getting 0.55mb download speed!!! Have a call in with them at the mo(did this 2 months ago as well and an engineer called out but was useless). Also, the connection keeps dropping, a couple of times everyday. They can see all this in Eircom when I phone but for some reason are unable to resolve the problem, they just don't have a clue! I'll keep you updated on how I get on, I'm supposed to call them back tomorrow as they have been monitoring my line for the last 48 hours, see what excuse they give me this time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

SJT1 wrote: »
    I live in Herons Wood, with eircom, have the 7mb package with them since May, hasn't been right since I joined up with them. Just did a speedtest there and getting 0.55mb download speed!!! Have a call in with them at the mo(did this 2 months ago as well and an engineer called out but was useless). Also, the connection keeps dropping, a couple of times everyday. They can see all this in Eircom when I phone but for some reason are unable to resolve the problem, they just don't have a clue! I'll keep you updated on how I get on, I'm supposed to call them back tomorrow as they have been monitoring my line for the last 48 hours, see what excuse they give me this time!

This kind of thing really winds me up - If it was any other product or service we would be demanding refunds etc...

If it was a gas supply and we were paying 100 euro for 100 euro worth of gas and we got 50 we would expect a refund or if we were in a bar and asked for a pint and got a half pint we would do the same. Its really really poor service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Sparkyd2002

Have to give my vote to NOVA. With them a few years now and find them great to deal with + you get the speeds advertised. They also do a phone option allowing you to get rid of the landline if you have 1.They should be able to tell you if you can get their service or not. It involves a little box on the roof/gable of your house and line of site to one of their base stations

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

what sort of ping times does nova achieve though?

any issues with traffic shaping or blocking of ports aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

BArra wrote: »
    what sort of ping times does nova achieve though?

any issues with traffic shaping or blocking of ports aswell?

29918197.png

No issues with them

would you mind doing up as speedtest aswell ;)

would like to see throughput

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭silverwood

SJT1 wrote: »

Any update on this SJT1? I live in Heronswood also and I'm on the up to 24Mb package. I was consistently getting up to 12Mb (which I was fairly happy with) but over the past 3 weeks it's dropped down to an average of about 3Mb. I've also noticed the connection dropping 4 or 5 times a day. It re-connects automatically after about 1 minute or so but its bloody annoying :mad:
    NGB is due to arrive early next year but we'll see........

how are you on 24mb package if your exchange isnt upgraded to NGB, afaik only ngb upgraded exchanges on adsl2+ can push out up to 24mb

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭silverwood

how are you on 24mb package if your exchange isnt upgraded to NGB, afaik only ngb upgraded exchanges on adsl2+ can push out up to 24mb

I don't know BArra. I changed from Perlico to Eircom about 3 months ago and I ordered the 24Mb online and it took my order no problems. I'll have a look at my bill to double check that it is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

Nope, there is no relation between NGB exchanges and ADSL2+ exchanges. Douglas exchange for instance has been ADSL2+ enabled since the middle of 2009 but still does not have NGB. I'm on 24Mb ADSL2+ package.

Also NGB is an ADSL up to 8 Mb package, it has nothing to do with ADSL2+ at all, and in all likelihood will make no difference whatsoever to anyone who is already on ADSL2+.

Advertisement