Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Wi-Fi

• 24-09-2010 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hi all,
    Came across this headline "what is super wifi?" http://gizmodo.com/5646259/what-is-super-wi+fi
    This wifi has a range of miles,and speeds between 15Mbps-20Mbps.
    Imagine been miles away from your router with a smart phone with skype!!
    I wonder thou if its healthy having wifi that powerful.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

murdoc8 wrote: »
    I wonder thou if its healthy having wifi that powerful.

Nope, it will interfere with TV signals on an epic scale if it shows up in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

you can have 20 Miles range and 1Mbps and a pair of dishes...

Or you can have 200meters range and 20Mbps.

Not both. I think this is doomed. And will seriously disrupt everyone on the planet with UHF TV.

Sadly it not only will cause trouble in USA, but everywhere else as people import it and disable the GPS. :(

Just read the REALLY STUPID uninformed gizmodo article. You would think that Apple is making these from their reaction. Also the really stupid un-informed comments. :eek:

This is an EPIC disaster for EVERY Country doing ANYTHING between Ch21 and 62 on UHF *GROAN* :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

there was a bit on the beeb on thursday about it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

murdoc8 wrote: »
    This wifi has a range of miles,and speeds between 15Mbps-20Mbps.

Wireless N supposedly goes a couple of hundred metres and can handle 300Mbps. You haven't got a hope in hell of ever getting that in the real world though. With regards to it interfering with tv signals I thought this was getting the go ahead because the analog tv transmitters were all being shut down and replaced with digital,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I think the US UHF channels are not quite the same as ours and that their dead space is our live space ( and vice versa). However while I cannot recall the precise details...something about 6mhz channels and 8mhz channels comes to mind meaning that 2mhz is 'dead space' in the US and this new standard uses that dead space times 40 odd TV Channels for a total of 80mhz across the band.

It is live space here hence my comment that the interference could be epic if the firmware can be hacked ( probably) and the devices persuaded that they are clear to broadcast.

I well remember how US ( 802.11b) wiifi had more channels than EU wifi back in the day and that enabling it was generally trivial.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I think the US UHF channels are not quite the same as ours and that their dead space is our live space ( and vice versa). However while I cannot recall the precise details...something about 6mhz channels and 8mhz channels comes to mind meaning that 2mhz is 'dead space' in the US and this new standard uses that dead space times 40 odd TV Channels for a total of 80mhz across the band.

It is live space here hence my comment that the interference could be epic if the firmware can be hacked ( probably) and the devices persuaded that they are clear to broadcast.

I well remember how US ( 802.11b) wiifi had more channels than EU wifi back in the day and that enabling it was generally trivial.

Yeah but when we shut down our analog service (whenever that may be) then there will be no interference. Right?

Erm.. This specifically uses the part of the UHF band KEPT for TV. Not the Sell off part. The "digital dividend" part will be licenced and not do interference.

Tune your Digital TV to the local Test Channel of DTT. Add combiner or feed via VHS/Sky Box. Tune VHS or Sky box modulator to DTT channel. "Hey Presto", dramatic drop in quality or no signal depending on off air signal level.

Of course that might have been your sarcasm showing...

I think the US UHF channels are not quite the same as ours
    Their band and channel size isn't the same.

But our 8MHz DTT transmissions will be jammed just as easily by 1, 4, 6 or 7MHz wide Super WiFi as by an 8MHz one.
    Europe inc UK and Ireland
    Ch21 to Ch 61 is 470Mhz to 790Mhz approx (In UK 62 to 69 getting sold), 8MHz wide channels.

USA
    Ch14 to ch 68 is about 470Mhz to 790MHz. (Only up to ch 51, 700MHz will be TV now). Channels are 6Mhz wide. So Widespace Radio will operate from 470MHz up to 700MHz.

So at best a US "White space Radio" with no hack other than GPS will overlap one or two channels (6MHz vs 8MHz steps) on at least 3/4 of TV band.
    Also we don't know that "White Space" radio may not use multiple adjacent 6MHz channels for more speed (c.f. 802.11g uses 3 x WiFi channels and 802.11n can use 11 x WiFi Channels!)

US uses 1 to 11 for WiFi, we use 1 ..13. Never select 12 or 13 for a WiFi point as lots of phones & other gadgets and netbooks/PCs set to USA country can't connect :)

Advertisement