Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye strain among you graphics people

Options
  • 24-09-2010 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

I would like to find out, whether most of you are experiencing eye strain. Since most of you may be frequent users of graphics packages, do you find them to be heavy for eyes? Do you get headache and pain at the end of your working day? I am asking you people specifically because I would like to do something about the nature of strenuous graphics editing work

I get a lot of eye strain from using Photoshop, illustrator and even typing code in notepad. I wonder how can professionals go for such a long time when they are using these packages. It's a well known fact that a lot of designers wear glasses, and it's understandable. However, I don't want to wear them at all, but enjoy creating interesting and engaging design work and use graphics packages.

Any of your insight, rants or preventative methods will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your time,
    Y.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭flanree

As far as preventing eye strain goes, it mostly common sense. Obviously, dont sit too close, you'd wanna be about 3 feet back anyway. Make sure there is a decent amount of soft light behind/around the monitor. If its dark behind the monitor your eyes strain more from the bright contrast of the screen. Take breaks regularly which you probably will to put on the kettle. If you're a pirate, switch your eye patch from one eye to the other every 15 minutes or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,571 ✭✭✭✭looksee

When you are starting out you will find that you tend to stare hard at the screen as a response to concentration. Make an effort to relax and sit back.
    Also sit up andlook straight at your screen, too many people slump to an almost horizontal position, which means you are looking at the monitor at an angle.

It is possible that you do need glasses, get some that are the correct focal length for your computer screen (not bi or varifocals) and have a coating on them for computer use. Very relaxing to wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

Do you think that a simple user interface redesign of graphics software would be more useful than trying to buy an expensive pair of glasses? Would this redesign be better for eye strain reduction?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I have a pair of glasses specifically optimised for me sitting on front of a monitor about two feet away (the 3feet standard never worked for me).

they really help a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Do you think that a simple user interface redesign of graphics software would be more useful than trying to buy an expensive pair of glasses? Would this redesign be better for eye strain reduction?

The UI is only part the problem. Alternative colour combinations might ease some strain symptoms to some extent but wouldn't affect strain due to close focussing. Users are looking at a screen which is closer than the average object. A good way to mitigate against this is to look away from the screen every now and again. Getting into the habit of looking away out the window to infinity every thirty-ish minutes can help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement