Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Watch out....Idiots about

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

straight to the copshop with you then with the link and a complaint!

fcuking twat of a van driver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

At least he indicated :D

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mikeystipey

bloody van drivers, think they own the road

You're a shoe in for a job with Crimebusters job OP :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

regular event at that junction I'm afraid. Same thing a few weeks ago. woman
    shoots the lights 3-4 seconds after red. I knew to wait. Biker beside me didn't and took off. She stopped at him with about 2 inches to spare. He shat himself. She started waving her arms at him like it was his fault......I bought a camera :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

How these people get a driving licence is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Armadillo

Ah, the famous palmerstown lights. Same thing happened to me this morning with a cage instead of a van. I always look left and right before moving off - as a precaution. There's way too much of this crap going on all over the roads of this country and just shows the lack of lack of respect some people have to others. Not half enough Gardai on the roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

Armadillo wrote: »
    Not half enough Gardai on the roads.
    We wouldn't need any more if people obeyed simple fcukin rules !!! Break a red light 3-4 seconds late = high probability of a smash. Why do it ??? Morons. Traffic light cameras are way overdue in this country. Get rid of the ones on wide straight stretches of m-way where accidents rarely (if ever) happen and put 'em in high risk areas like the one posted above.

I was watching him as his lights went amber. he had about 30 yards to go to get to his lights. Didnt even think he'd do it. Then theres a second delay from his red and my green. Ye know yerselves - green light, open throttle, and ur half way across the junction in a second

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

First thing: green light does not confer automatic right of way- you should check the junction before moving off to avoid stopping in the junction yourself.
    Second: prior knowledge- that junction ad many more are notorious for that. You can save yourself a lot of hassles.
    Third: use the video and show the guards and you risk the above infringement by yourself and the 60kmph speed zone used to detract from what the other driver did. Potentially he could argue running the light because of a late braking school bus behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

unfortunately it is a commom event, assh*ole drivers just can't wait

• Advertisement

nereid wrote: »

Third: use the video and show the guards and you risk the above infringement by yourself and the 60kmph speed zone used to detract from what the other driver did. Potentially he could argue running the light because of a late braking school bus behind.

Have another look at the video and the timings. There's a clear gap between the last legitimate car and his van. Then think about the timing of his light break. Use of the breaking vehicle behind, not that he would use such a defense, in my opinion, would be thrown out due to his failure to reduce speed approaching a junction.

No intention of showing to guards. Whole point is to draw attention to this red light jumping culture so fellow newbie riders have the heads up. As per 60 kph limit, the bike was held within that - camera angle perspective makes it look faster - what happened after the last frame.....we'll never know :D.

when you look left and right, the guy is 10-20 yards from his lights, which are red btw, some people might think it's ok to take off. I made a very slight move under those conditions, and then copped the idiot with one last look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I agree completely with you as a regular user of that junction, and I myself have acted in the exact same manner. My point was more to reflect the car driving garda attitude to both motor and pedal cyclists, and how effectively the evidence on the camera may end up shooting you in the foot.
    My personal policy in such circumstances is to learn myself that I initially missed a danger and to be more alert to said feckers.
    Well done on seeing him though, last time that I was at those lights I was filtering, and the lights went green as I got to the top. I saw the red light breaker way later than you so I was lucky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Pique wrote: »
    We wouldn't need any more if people obeyed simple fcukin rules !!! Break a red light 3-4 seconds late = high probability of a smash. Why do it ??? Morons.

It's the bad bit of human nature, a few years ago people slowed down and prepared to stop when they saw an amber. Then later amber meant floor it if you can make it before a red. Another while later crossing the line on a red was okay, and now a few seconds of red has become acceptable to some drivers.

So people will continue to do this as long as they get away with it and worse still they'll continue to push the boundaries further. So the only way to restore order is to have penalties for breaking the rules. This needs to be done with some way to enforce the rules, as the only other penalty involves bent metal and ambulances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

reece wrote: »
    Recorded this idiot the other day on my daily bike to work (Dublin).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mtn8wEXBtCE

good quality footage there Reece - what type of camera are you using and what mounting sytem ? looks like you have it on your jacket

gopro hd hero recorded at 1080p. Yeah, using gopro chest mount too. Have the motorsports attachments but found mounting to the front of the bike suffers from woeful camera shake. Mounted on the side of the bike picks up bike vibrations too. you could attach it to the helment...but you'd look like a knob :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

More and more people seems to be recording themselves on the roads. In a future where everyone is recording will it make people drive better? Would people think twice about doing something stupid if there was a good chance someone would record it and put it on youtube/go to the guards with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I am not condoning the van, but the council has made a complete bollix of that junction.

It can take traffic 20 minutes to get through that junction sometimes and onto the N4. There may be some frustration involved here. The council have installed pressure plates in the road to influence the lights and a camera over the traffic light at comfort and style. Coming down from Kennelsfort Rd upper, there is a bottle neck and pedestrian lights. The whole junction is a mess.

The guy with the B&B on one corner, has offered some land to enlarge the junction, but the council keep declining.

On another note. About three weeks ago, at about half nine in the evening, I was at that junction trying to get onto the N4 when I heard a screech. I looked up and some oriental fella had run into the back of a transalp. He car had hit the brakes, but still shunted the bike about three feet. The biker stayed upright and got off to survey the damage.

The guy was soooooo lucky. I offered assistance, but he was fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

... some oriental fella ...

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    More and more people seems to be recording themselves on the roads. In a future where everyone is recording will it make people drive better? Would people think twice about doing something stupid if there was a good chance someone would record it and put it on youtube/go to the guards with it?

Probably not but it might take idiots off the road if they were caught enough times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Rosahane

gopro hd hero recorded at 1080p. Yeah, using gopro chest mount too. Have the motorsports attachments but found mounting to the front of the bike suffers from woeful camera shake. Mounted on the side of the bike picks up bike vibrations too. you could attach it to the helment...but you'd look like a knob :D.

Did you get the kit here, and if so where? I was thinking of getting something similar so am open to suggestions.

I had many similar experiences at those lights, have a look at post 23 in the thread below for the most amusing :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056016688&page=2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,533 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

How do you get your screen so clean? :confused:

Rosahane wrote: »

I had many similar experiences at those lights, have a look at post 23 in the thread below for the most amusing :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056016688&page=2

Had to laugh when I read that a few days ago. The sweet smell of justice. Only unsettling thing was "I reamed the hole of him" :D

I got some footage of a guy in a golf Monday bombing up the bus lane in the lashings of rain and then noticing a queue of cars stopped in the bus lane (turning down for liffey valley) at the last second. How he didnt rear end the last car I'll never know. He pulls out on top of the car in front of me, bombs on, then back into the bus lane

Bought the camera on amazon.co.uk. Bought the chest mount on ebay - some store based in meath. SD card was argos. The only criticism I've got is coming from suburbs to town on a damp day, it tends to fog up half way there and you miss some of the action (days like today ur grand). You have to record in full hd to avoid the fish eye look - so half an hour footage is 3.5 gigs.

How do you get your screen so clean? :confused:

that's easy.....a crappy bike cover. after a nights rain....It's sparkling:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Bought the camera on amazon.co.uk. Bought the chest mount on ebay - some store based in meath. SD card was argos. The only criticism I've got is coming from suburbs to town on a damp day, it tends to fog up half way there and you miss some of the action (days like today ur grand). You have to record in full hd to avoid the fish eye look - so half an hour footage is 3.5 gigs.

Thanks, I'll have a look :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....on a lighter note: is that a TMax 500 you're riding ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    ....on a lighter note: is that a TMax 500 you're riding ?

no, one step down - 400. But thanks for drawing my attention to it. Had a look on youtube. Looks sweet. My next purchase

Advertisement