Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Xbox wifi problem

• 24-09-2010 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, having a bit of a problem with the wifi adp for the xbox. I set it up a few weeks ago, I get a good connection to the eircom router (7mb line) but after about 40mins to an hour it drops the connection, when I connect again it works again straight away but after an anmount of time will drop again (the times not really set, just happens). I have no idea whats causing this but I got on to eircom about it and they sent out a new router, got it, set it up and same problem so they say its not their fault.

Anyone ever have the same problem? Its really pissing me off so any help would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I heard about this issue before around boards not fully sure what the solution was, im sure someone else can post some details

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

have you tried lowering the firewall setting to low?
    Have you tried changing wireless channell on your modem?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭metalgear2k2

have you tried lowering the firewall setting to low?
    Have you tried changing wireless channell on your modem?

Have went through all the channels, same problem. didnt change the firewall, will try that now.

nope didnt work, dropped out again right in the middle off playin reach online, dammit!!! seems the signal is on full bar but when I check it after a drop out its down to 1 bar, is it just a rubbish router from eircom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

I think its an eircom problem used to happen to me all the time before they upgraded the lines in my area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Have you tried unplugging your router from the wall for about 30 seconds? This will allow the router to reboot it's firmware. Generally, I'd recommend this to be done on a regular basis with every router.

Could be as simple as this. I had a Sweex router that used to brick itself every week or so and stop picking up a wireless 360 adapter in the next room. Eventually realized that rebooting it solved the problem. Hope this helps.

I still have this probelm, even after opening my NAT with port forwarding. Have a very good connection when connected but I went into another from for 10 to 15 mins and when I came back it have dropped the wifi and needed to be connected again, so fooking annoying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

You have a couple of options, the new eircom routers are set to WPA security which requires the any wireless device to re-authenticate a thats what causes the disconnect

have a look at my post in this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67707272&postcount=16 on how to change it.

Or you can switch the router to use WEP security but it is less secure

I hope this helps.

Cheers,J

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Assign a static ip to your xbox and in the DNS field enter the eircom dns servers or the opendns servers which I found better..
    I had the same problem earlier in the year and this is what I had to do.
    On your xbox go to network and select manual entry.

IP: pick one not in use (192.168.1.xxx) pick something high over 100 so there's not chance of an ip conflict.

Opendns servers

Gateway..192.168.1.254 (your eircom router)

I'll check out what else I changed later on but as far as I can the above kept my connection 100%.

And like jimbo said above...the xbox wireless g adapter is not wpa2 compliant even though it says it on the package...
    only supports wpa or wep. Select wpa.
    You have to do this from your router page within internet explorer etc (192.168.1.254)

great article on how to change your nat for the xbox as well from boards..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056029020

Thanks lads for your help, will try this out later this evening. Would getting a better router help sort the issue? like

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/342825/art/d-link/wireless-n-dir-635-wifi-8.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Thanks lads for your help, will try this out later this evening. Would getting a better router help sort the issue? like

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/342825/art/d-link/wireless-n-dir-635-wifi-8.html

Nope..it's not your router as such..you'll just run into the same problems..
    Follow the advice above and see how it goes..

Advertisement