Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of date beer

Options
  • 24-09-2010 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭

In a Centra in Galway today and spotted they are selling bottles of Fosters with a best before date of ...wait for it.....June 2010! How the hell do they think it's ok to do this? Surely this is not allowed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

In a Centra in Galway today and spotted they are selling bottles of Fosters with a best before date of ...wait for it.....June 2010! How the hell do they think it's ok to do this? Surely this is not allowed.
    it means exactly as it says............. best before. very different to use before.

drank plenty out of date beer in my time...... did me no harm bbbrrp.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Fnergg

Yeah, I hate that. I don't know how many times I've suffered appalling headaches the morning after a night on the tiles. Must've been all that out of date beer I didn't notice I was drinking.

Regards,

Fnergg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Of course its allowed. Its not as if Fosters gets even worse than it already is over some magical date line

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

gives you great haggling power with the manager!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Completely legal and nothing wrong with it.

Generally a shop will reduce it to clear, but they didnt.

Not much you can do as they havent done anything wrong.

Public perception of this being a big issue is misguided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

HTFU! redsteveireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

T-Square wrote: »
    HTFU! redsteveireland

Was just asking a question like.
    I make my own beer anyway and most of that is better with age.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

How the hell do they think it's ok to do this?
    The same way people think its OK to sell a second hand car which is not at its "best"

€2 shops sometimes have creme eggs near or past the BBD, 8 for €2 in dun laoghaire a while ago, might still be on.

Was it advertised as being past the BBD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

afaik as long as they are not handing it out over a counter to you as in a small shop or off-licence it is buyer beware and while they may replace it for you they are under no obligation to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

if it says "use by" and it's past this date tho, it's a completely different kettle of fish, because then it's not fit for intended purpose

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

if it says "use by" and it's past this date tho, it's a completely different kettle of fish, because then it's not fit for intended purpose
    But checking the date is up to you the customer. If it is served to you by a shop assistants then they must ensure it is in date etc but if you pick up mouldy bread or old beer and bring to the checkout it is buyer beware and once paid for the shop does not have any obligation to refund you as checking the date is for own responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

I make my own beer anyway and most of that is better with age.

Whats your BBD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭BOZG

I think it's fine once they advertise it. Otherwise you've a right to return it.

Perishable goods were also historically the only goods that you could sell at a loss.

bennyob wrote: »
    Whats your BBD?
    Me or the beer?

rubadub wrote: »
    The same way people think its OK to sell a second hand car which is not at its "best"

€2 shops sometimes have creme eggs near or past the BBD, 8 for €2 in dun laoghaire a while ago, might still be on.

Was it advertised as being past the BBD?
    Went back to check today... It wasn't advertised as out of date, I think that would scare people away anyway, but it was reduced to 99cent a bottle.
    I suppose you get what you pay for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

http://www.consumerassociation.ie/faq.html#BestBefore

if you bought it without realising you have no specific right to return it, but, imo, most shop staff would take it back i would imagine (having worked in plenty of shops in the past)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Who drinks fosters?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Jaysoose wrote: »
    Who drinks fosters?

Australians, apparently. :pac:

Advertisement