Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone here ever been caught under-age drinking?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I have had it taken off me by the Gardai but never arrested or anything like that. My friend had his stomach pumped recently though and the Gardai brought him to hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Steodonn

Not too long ago we were drinking and playing twister in a field( too mad ). As we were leaving the garda pulled up and the usual empty your drink put full ones in the boot ( Dont think anyone had more than a can or two left) but they took the twister game too :( . My friends little brother was none to pleased that his twister game was now sitting in a garda station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Nope, as a minor I didn't have the mental capacity to realise what I was doing

Bollocks and you know it. Yeah it was there fault for letting you in; it was your fault for trying to (and successfully) breaking the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

Yea when i was underage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Asked an off duty Guard to buy me drink before. That's about it really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Bollocks and you know it. Yeah it was there fault for letting you in; it was your fault for trying to (and successfully) breaking the law.

Bouncers job is to control who comes into the club and their actions once they're inside. If a bouncer let an underage person in, that's the bouncers fault action was taken against the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

RMD wrote: »
    Bouncers job is to control who comes into the club and their actions once they're inside. If a bouncer let an underage person in, that's the bouncers fault action was taken against the club.

I would have the little fu*ker thrown in jail personally. Trying to ruin a bouncer's job, a club's reputation and serveral other people's jobs should be a criminal offence.

And no that wasn't a comment on the user that did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Shoelaces

Yep,

I was 15 years old on Paddies Day 2002. My friend had come up from Galway to Dublin as he was drumming in the parade. He knew this other fella who was a bit older than us and lived in Leixlip. When my younger friend had dropped his snare drum off at whatever depot he had to he met up with me and the older guy.

We each got a shoulder of Vodka from Dunnes Stores then made our way towards Leixlip on the bus having a few swigs from our bottles on the way. When we arrived we decided to plonk ourselves on some bench in a carpark beside a supermarket? i think. Anyway my younger friend whips out a bag of white rhino and starts rolling up. We passed it around and all seemed to be going well until the mixamatosis of the vodka and grass began to affect this older fellas better judgement. He thought he was a regular Oscar Wilde making loud and obnoxious comments to passers by, some young, some old. Attempts at subduing his passing quips resulted in abuse directed at yours truely. Deciding that the best option was to bite my tongue and let him have his way with the strangers i continued to drink my shoulder, nestled comfortably in the pocket of my jacket.

Sadly his loudness attracted the worst kind of attention. I had risen to take a leak and was mid flow when i was disturbed by the sight of my two companions running, or trying to run down some path that runs by the river. Taking a deep breath i packed my penis back into its denim fortress and turned to greet the sight that had so startled my chums. A black mariah had parked itself right by where we had been drinking and one of its occupants began walking towards my direction. Deciding that the best option was to great the gentleman with a cheery politeness i strode towards him with a smile only to slip and fall mid sentence and land at the base of his immaculatly polished shoes. "hello gar- woooops".

I picked myself up from the ground and stared at him with a look somewhere between fear, surprise and strained confidence. "have you been drinking" he asked me. "No Garda" I slurred. "Dont ****ing lie to me" he bellowed. "I can smell it off your breath, where are you from?" "G-g-g-Greystones Garda" i replied. "Jaysus you're a long way from home, what are you doing here." "Staying at my cousins Garda" "And your cousin would be one of the other fellas, he would?" "Yes Garda". "well we'll drop you up so". Now this is where it got worse. I told him that i didnt know where my cousin lived because they had just moved and i was visiting. I had to give the name of the older fella just so i would be hopefully taken to his house. Turns out this lad is known well in the town and the Garda tells me that im to pass on the message that they are coming for him. Finally he tells me that he has good news and bad news for me. "The good news is that im not going to arrest you" "thanks Garda" "The bad news is im going to fine you". A €80 fine for being caught drinking. They left me in the middle of a town i had no idea round and never even searched my pockets for the shoulder of vodka still hidden in my pocket yet now caked in a thick film of sweat. "Dont let me see you back here again" they said as they drove off.

Meanwhile the other two lads are being chased down Leixlip mainstreet by a Garda on foot who eventually catch's them. "Never run from the Gaurds you ****ers" he says. "Now lads i have ye for litterin (The lads threw their drink and the grass into the river mid chase), drinkin under age and running from us, empty your pockets". The younger lad takes out 10 marlboro red, skins and a lighter from one pocket and about three ventolin inhalers from the other. "Smokin with de asthma you ****in eejit ya" is all this Garda can say. He takes their names and lets them off, no fine, no warning, nothing.

We met up again and discussed what had happened, i was rather distressed that these two had not been reprimanded and i had, especially the older fella. I did have some cheap giggles when later back at his house he drank a few shots of really old baileys then got violently sick in his coal bucket but that was the only taste of vengeance i had.

A week or so later i returned to Lexilip to pay the fine at the library thinking this would be the end of it however i was summoned a few weeks later to speak with the juvenile liason officer in Bray. All this over that bastard screaming abuse at strangers.

I am now an alcoholic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You've a very good style of writing Shoelaces
    The story seems to flow

Just saying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Any of ye with experience of the USA?

A girl was telling me once she was leaving a bar one night with a bottle of Bud in her hand and was fined for drinking in public, realy on the doorstep of the bar.
    It's taken very seriously. She wasn't even seen drinking from it, I suppose just a bit drunk and she never left it down before she walked outside.

Some many use a paper bag to carry their open drinks. You see this on TV shows a lot.
    Is that why they use a paper bag?

It varies so much from state to state. Even within states there are different laws in different counties. Most of the public drinking offenses are considered to be doing it in a place where children may be present. Outside a bar one night wouldn't be considered one of those places and i would have thought that they'd let you off with a warning. Unless they were obviously drunk and loud. I lived in Kansas which has some of the strictest alcohol laws in the US. I heard recently they were talking about suspending a driving license if caught underage drinking. Even if you haven't got your license yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

amacachi wrote: »
    I've not been caught as such. Back when we were 15/16 I was usually the purchaser. Anyway I was meant to be buying for a load of mates one day but wasn't around when they called for me, so my gimpy 15 year old mate decided to try his fake ID. He couldn't go to the Tesco next to where they were because not long previously he had asked someone to buy drink for him and it turned out to be the store manager. :pac: So he went to the other Tesco and stocked up on vodka, gin and cans. Few days later anyway the result was on the front of one of the local papers, a 14 year old girl had a half bottle of gin and had to go to hospital. Lucky enough escape for me but the full story was even better. Two Gardaí happened upon them not long after the girl initially passed out and asked who bought the drink for them, my mate decides to tell them he did and handed over his fake ID. I doubt they even believed it was his real name because it's almost as bad as Neville Neville. So he was arrested and was left in an interview room while one of the Gardaí had his mother in floods of tears about how he had committed fraud and it was his fault the girl was in hospital. :pac:
    Luckily that day I was in a house out in the country drinking 30-odd bottles of Stella. :pac:
    He didn't force her to drink did he?? Therefore saying it's his fault is ridiculous.
    I would have the little fu*ker thrown in jail personally. Trying to ruin a bouncer's job, a club's reputation and serveral other people's jobs should be a criminal offence.

Ah yes the typical heavy handed law and order beloved of After Hours. Your argument makes no sense at all.

1-It is the responsibility of any place supplying alcohol to make sure under age people are not admitted, whether they use fake ids or not. If the person is using a fake id and is caught by the guards they'll suffer the consequences and not the club.

2-If a club has a reputation for allowing under age drinkers in it should face the consequences, not the minor.

3-Bouncers are trained to spot fake ids.

4-Purchasing alcohol underage and or consuming it is no longer a criminal offence and instead needs a Juvenile Liason Officer sent out to prevent a person getting a criminal record for a 1st tiem offence.

5-Seriously, thrown into prison for sneaking into a nightclub????
    Are you really serious :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Shoelaces

You've a very good style of writing Shoelaces
    The story seems to flow

Just saying

You are a gentleman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

orourkeda wrote: »
    Underage drinking is for wimps.

I much preferred underage sex

noob :rolleyes:

being 14 and pulling 18-24ish y.o girls is where its at OP.

Advertisement