Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some advice on Virtual Hard Disks

• 24-09-2010 7:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭

Ok hopefully this is the right place for this ...

I have being messing the past couple of days with Disk2VHD and so far I have successfully booted a physical copy of my old XP machine on my newer Vista machine through virtual box. The problem i am having is I can only run it in safe mode and I have no way of injecting drivers (that I know of anyway, I'm a little over my head here) as it doesn't see my vista cd drive.
    The second problem is what drivers to put in? the old drivers (xp) or the vista machines drivers. I am wondering has anyone had any success doing this here and how did you go about repairing it so that boots in normal mode? or more to the point is what I'm trying to do really possible?
    Overall what I'm trying to achieve is when I move to a newer machine (win7 possibly) is to be able to use my old programs on the newer machine (some of my programs have only one licence so re-installing is not an option) is there a better way of achieving this than the way I'm experimenting with at the moment.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

You need to research the term P2V or Physical to Virtual.
    Most virtual systems have their own specific drivers. It wont necessarily be the same drivers as the physical hardware.
    There are many P2V programs around, just converting a disk into a vDisk is not enough.

Advertisement