Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on installing a new sound card?

Options
  • 24-09-2010 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hey there,

Could anyone give me a bit of advice about how to install a new sound card? I running Vista and have a SB X-fi (bought in 2007). The problem is that there is a known issue with that card and vista. Basically, you can't record from the "line in". I'm messing around with writing some music so I need to be able to do that now.

Anyway, I'm blowing out that SB card and want to install a new one instead. But I'm not too sure of the procedure. I'm okay with opening up the cache and popping it in, but I have a few concerns.

Do I have to uninstall the previous sound drivers for the blaster first? Or will the new card overwrite everything? I'd really like to avoid any conflicts/problems if possible.

Thanks for any info'. :)

Rob.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Once the new card is in your mitts:
    • Shut down PC
    • Open it up
    • Remove the old card
    • Turn on the PC
    • Go to Control Panel > Programs and run the uninstaller for the SB driver/app packages. Don't do it before removal or Vista will act the maggot (as usual :p) and try to reinstall the driver the second you finish :o
    • Turn off PC
    • Put the new card in unless the manual says otherwise (some devices need drivers to be installed before physical installation)
    • Turn on PC
    • Install the drivers, if Vista doesn't beat you to the punch :rolleyes::p
    • Close the system case up once everything is confirmed good - and not until then ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Mr. Grinder

Wow! That was quick! :)

Thanks so much! That actually seems relitively straight forward too.

Cheers,

Rob.

Advertisement