Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Q102, Nova... and now... Sunshine!

• 24-09-2010 8:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

Another pirate name comes back to the Dublin airwaves... LEGALLY.

First it was Q102, then we got a new Nova - and now... Dublin's Country Mix 106.8 is rebranding as "Sunshine 106.8".

http://www.sunshineradio.ie/

What's next? Dublin City FM to rename as "Big D"? Phantom to rename as ARD (Alternative Radio Dublin)? FM104 to go back to "Capital Radio" (also a pirate name)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Phantom is a pirate name. ;)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Maybe Freedom(insert frequency) will return too!

OT: Personally, I dislike channel names that use the frequency as part of the name (I realise it's beneficial for people to remember the freq, but I still think it seems lazy).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

When's Radio Dublin coming back? *cough*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Bard wrote: »
    What's next? Dublin City FM to rename as "Big D"? Phantom to rename as ARD (Alternative Radio Dublin)

The bastards are stealing part of your name? I'll represent you in court!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭jimmy2flutes

mike65 wrote: »
    When's Radio Dublin coming back? *cough*

Possibly in another 7-10 years! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Caledonman

Bard wrote: »
    Another pirate name comes back to the Dublin airwaves... LEGALLY.

First it was Q102, then we got a new Nova - and now... Dublin's Country Mix 106.8 is rebranding as "Sunshine 106.8".

http://www.sunshineradio.ie/

What's next? Dublin City FM to rename as "Big D"? Phantom to rename as ARD (Alternative Radio Dublin)? FM104 to go back to "Capital Radio" (also a pirate name)?

I think its great, a great name and a good choice for them. Country Mix seem to one of a few stations that know how to run a station commercially.... I think the name will only make them stronger... I do like Dave Dennehy there when he's on... he just gets on with the music and no talking crap... I hope they do well...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I just spotted this on their Facebook page

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs344.ash2/62456_154624534557854_100000309266376_353026_7079082_n.jpg

It's a joke, really.......especially since the original Sunshine had nothing to do with country music.......mind you, from what I heard of Dublin's Country "Country Mix" the last time I was in Dublin, neither did they......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 106 ✭✭Mike O' Brien

Possibly in another 7-10 years! :D

cough cough!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

4FM could be renamed Heartbeat, which is much more plausible than Dublin's Country Mix being renamed Sunshine!

Dublin South FM could be renamed back to its original name - Dublin South Community Radio, which is the pirate it started off as.

FM104 could be renamed Capitol Radio - remember that FM104 started off with the name Capital Radio.

Newstalk could be renamed, eh, well how about KLAS Radio?

Dublin City FM could be renamed Radio Leinster.

98FM could be renamed Kiss FM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Can find the other thread about the few songs on the playlist for 4fm. In reality Country Mix don't want to be a country music station.
    Dublin’s Country’s original licence application called for it to play just 35 per cent pure country music, 40p er cent ‘‘cross-over’’ music (acts such as the Eagles), 20p er cent Irish and five per cent ‘‘complementary’’ music.

35% Pure Country fine
    40% cross over
    20% Irish (but not Irish Music)
    5% complementary (stick on a bit of Lady GaGa)

http://www.sbpost.ie/news/ireland/new-name-has-country-mix-radio-walking-on-sunshine-51876.html

I wonder if they want to futher dilute Country with this name change.

I was also pointing out that these services could join together in the future

Phantom, Nova, Sunshine and 4fm (The Priate Radio Company). (Of course 4fm would have to rename and also look for changes in the contract so that they could aim themselves at a young audience and light music :rolleyes: )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

You gotta think that Sunshine are competing directly with Q102, with their name change, as the demographic would be similar for bith. The logic in the name change is to remove the stigma inferred with the 'country' association. Granted the music policy will remain as will the percentage of country music but its like slipping anchovies into a mixed salad, if its done right, its more palatable to the listener. Alot of chr stations are now playing country acts such as lady antebellum and taylor swift etc and its not doing them any harm, sure FM104 even played the eagles a few weeks back, so the 'country' sound is acceptable to listeners, but ask listeners if they like country music, and you'll get a different answer. So its a wise move for country mix to remove the impediment that was their name, sunshine is very neutral, and i believe will help them increase their figures.

heybaby wrote: »
    So its a wise move for country mix to remove the impediment that was their name, sunshine is very neutral, and i believe will help them increase their figures.

Should it all be about figures surely the BAI provide licences to stations to provide services for public consumption. It seems to me that everyone is chasing after the same market purely for numbers. Under the name Country mix they can provide 65% outside the country genre if they want, Bizarre! Easy Listening Radio (ELR). ELR 1, ELR 2, ELR 3, ELR 4 and ELR 5 tell which ELR is your mix?

Elmo wrote: »
    Phantom, Nova, Sunshine and 4fm (The Priate Radio Company).

I take that back as it look as though Communicorp may buy into Phantom as they look for 200,000 euro.

http://www.sbpost.ie/news/ireland/communicorp-makes-its-move-for-phantom-fm-stake-51886.html

Advertisement