Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How big can I print a 10MP image

• 24-09-2010 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

How big can I print a 10MP image on canvas

I'm looking to print this image: http://i51.tinypic.com/2po4jlw.jpg
    on a canvas, how big could I get away with (looking at the canvas from about 2 feet away)

Image dimensions: 2599 x 2857

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

about half the size of a house tbh.

from a 6MP image i've gone to 30" x 20" photographic print and it was fine.

Went to an A1 poster print from a 6MP image too and it is acceptable from a distance but noticeable up close.

How big are you hoping to print?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭.Conor.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    about half the size of a house tbh.

from a 6MP image i've gone to 30" x 20" photographic print and it was fine.

Went to an A1 poster print from a 6MP image too and it is acceptable from a distance but noticeable up close.

How big are you hoping to print?

I'm hoping to print it around A0 (84.1 x 118.9 cm)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Should be fine 30" x 20" is 76 cm x 51 cm roughly

Nforce wrote: »
    Should be fine 30" x 20" is 76 cm x 51 cm roughly

Grand, I'll see how it goes, cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Yeah will be fine. I do a lot of 20x28 canvas prints. Generally the way I do it is open the image, do all my editing on the full image, when Im happy I go to image size and increase by 10% in steps until I get slightly larger than the size I want. So when I print a 20 x 28 image wrapped canvas I need to add give or take 3 inches to the width and length so I go to 23.5 x 31.5 at 300ppi and crop as desired.

By upgrading in steps you are less likely to suffer extreme pixellation but honestly I cant see this happening anyway but its better than just enlarging in one step. Your printer will tell you the size of file and ppi they require to suit their systems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

.Conor. wrote: »
    How big can I print a 10MP image on canvas

I'm looking to print this image: http://i51.tinypic.com/2po4jlw.jpg
    on a canvas, how big could I get away with (looking at the canvas from about 2 feet away)

Image dimensions: 2599 x 2857

i've printed a 6MP image A1 and it looks great from any normal viewing distance.

looking at your image, there's some pretty poor Photoshopping going on which will become very noticeable once it's big. You can see green leaf showing through at parts of the image where you haven't selected the butterfly carefully enough, or haven't feathered the selection accurately enough.

Also, a big expensive print like that, make sure you're happy that you won't get bored of the 'selective colour' technique you used. As it's very often something that lots of photographers do when they first start learning how to digitally edit images and then quickly realise it's actually a pretty cheesy looking effect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

It is my understanding that canvas is extremely forgiving of low-resolution images printed large. I wouldn't worry about your print losing the ability to resolve fine detail as the canvas won't be capable of it anyway.
    Yeah will be fine. I do a lot of 20x28 canvas prints. Generally the way I do it is open the image, do all my editing on the full image, when Im happy I go to image size and increase by 10% in steps until I get slightly larger than the size I want. So when I print a 20 x 28 image wrapped canvas I need to add give or take 3 inches to the width and length so I go to 23.5 x 31.5 at 300ppi and crop as desired.

By upgrading in steps you are less likely to suffer extreme pixellation but honestly I cant see this happening anyway but its better than just enlarging in one step. Your printer will tell you the size of file and ppi they require to suit their systems.

I think the incremental increasing of image size by 10% is an archaic holdover from an old version of Photoshop, it's able to upres as well in one go as in increments, if not better. If you just want a specific size of canvas print and aren't doing it yourself, I'd suggest just sending your printer the highest resolution file you have and the print size you desire, they'll probably handle any resolution conversions far better than you could for their printer and will save you the trouble of worrying about DPI/PPI.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The image you have selected is very soft. Enlarging this image will make that very apparent even when using canvas which can hide this to a degree.

Leaving aside the opinions on selective colour, as pointed out the editing has some problems and these too will be much more obvious when printed on a big scale.

To get such a large print is a substantial investment, especially if you get it done with a reputable printer. You should try to select an image that will suit that treatment. I think that this image will soon really annoy you when you learn more about photography.

These are just my opinions and meant as honest advice. I think we have all been there when starting out that we have an image we think is great and family/friends say how good it is too. Later on you look back at those images and say "What was I thinking"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

I don't know what resolution is acceptable for canvas, but a less than photo paper , and it really depends on your subject and on from how far the print is to be viewed.

Printing a 2599x2857 pixel image @ A0 size gives a resolution of roughly 60 pixels per inch. Perhaps that's acceptable for your purposes, I don't really know... I would personally prefer a minimum of 100 - 200ppi for canvas.

In PS, Image > Image Size. Check 'Resample Image'. Enter you image dimensions and the resolution you want, i.e. 40x30inches (or whatever A0 size is) @ 200ppi (or whatever resolution you want).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

depending on who is printing it for you i would suggest you let them do the scaling for you

30*20 to A0 is a huge jump like 4 times the size

i have printed images up to 5metres wide from a d200. it was an immaculate image and being viewed from around 9 metres away.

if you got close you could see the scalling, but from the desired distance it looked stunning

• Advertisement

stcstc wrote: »
    depending on who is printing it for you i would suggest you let them do the scaling for you

30*20 to A0 is a huge jump like 4 times the size

i have printed images up to 5metres wide from a d200. it was an immaculate image and being viewed from around 9 metres away.

if you got close you could see the scalling, but from the desired distance it looked stunning

I'm getting it printed online.
    Do you recommended anyone who I should get it printed by, I was going by OrbitPrint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

well i do printing

but, with a lot of the online printers, they do things in an automated way, which generally mean you get what you get. there is no skilled human looking at the image before scalling etc

Advertisement