Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fewcifur for journo

Options
  • 24-09-2010 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭

Lets get behind Fewcifur for journo. Great job this season and i hope he can continue.
    I've enjoyed most of my season as journalist, but I know I can improve on things, which is why I'm putting myself forward again.

Last season I covered what I hoped to achieve, and those goals remain the same.

I think the best I can do is cover my proposals from last season and comment on how they went.

- PLANS -

Broaden Coverage

I remember getting very excited when my turn at a Div3 preview came along back in season 7. Up until then I didn't care about the journalist section and the constant look at the top 6 teams in the country. Even when a small team would get through to the later stages of the National Cup, the previews would always focus on those top Div1 teams.
    I would hope to broaden coverage and start bringing in lower division managers into the wider community.

I think I succeeded in broadening coverage, though I will admit it wasn't as effective as I'd hoped. The amount of coverage varied depending on the assistant journalist assigned to it. Div I got a preview and a number of reports at the start of the season. Div II had a preview of each league and there were a number of manager interviews. Nearly every league in Div III got a thorough preview, unfortunately certain leagues missed out.
    128 teams were covered in one cup round preview, I made the call to do it at that point because it was a manageable number (barely) but it included a diverse selection of teams. Cup coverage continued later on.
    A number of Div IV and V managers were alerted to some of the tutorials put up on the off-site.
    Promotions/Demotions were covered in Div 1, 2 and 3.

Journo Team

In my opinion, one person trying to tackle the whole of BR is going to fail miserably and either focus on one element and neglect the rest, or spread themselves so thin that no section gets appropriate coverage.

I would propose setting up a journalism team, similar to efforts made in the past. I would look on JPrender's excellent U20's coverage as an example.
    Ideally you'd have a journalist looking at each division, one looking at the national squad and one at the U20's.

I was lucky enough to start out the year with an excellent journo team. Ajefferas, Keogh, Turenne, Aahrugbyboy, Fetch, theJacks. Certain people started with enthusiasm and then disappeared mid-season, other people kept submitting content without being prompted. Keogh deserves a lot of praise for constantly submitting stuff to the magazine, and doing things like the managers interviews off his own bat.

Irish BR magazine

If the opportunity arises (ie. if somebody has some server space they'd care to spare.) I'd like to set-up an online magazine for Irish BR. It can be difficult to get engaged with content when it's in a narrow bar on the right of your screen, but a dedicated magazine could really encourage growth in the Irish BR community.
    For an example, here's an online project I set-up and edited for college http://www.thekippure.com (as an aside, some nice rugby coverage going on.)

The magazine site is up and running. It's not as pretty as I'd hoped, but it's a tricky thing to do when we don't have any actual photos etc. to put up. As a source of information I think it works really well (if I do say so myself) and there is more content up there from one season than I've seen in previous seasons combined. Again this is thanks to the work of the team.

I'd be looking at interviews with managers, guide to different tactics, previews of divisions, looking at team "star" players etc.

All of the above was covered in varying degrees.

It'll be great if it happens, and I know I can't do it on my own, but I'm a ninja when it comes to editing and I reckon this can all be done.

Again I think last season's efforts can be improved, but the crux of the matter is getting a team together. One person can't realistically generate the necessary content on their own, you need a team. Whoever is elected this season will need a solid team, a team that is willing to put in a little (but constant) effort to keep the site ticking over successfully.

I've begun to notice the off-site dying off and with it probably the community. I think next season's journo needs to do even more to encourage interaction. When we did the league reviews we had interested managers commenting on our predictions... that sort of thing needs to be encouraged and advanced to another level.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Cheers Jeff, hopefully I can improve on it next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Fewcifur wrote: »
    Cheers Jeff, hopefully I can improve on it next season.

Well you have my vote. I have an interview with JP on the way.

ajeffares wrote: »
    Well you have my vote. I have an interview with JP on the way.

Excellent, sure we'll stick it up regardless. Fair few lads going for the position this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

Got mine too.... dying to see the review of III.10 when we get that far!

Got mine too.... dying to see the review of III.10 when we get that far!

It's a pity people don't get elected earlier or during the playoffs, there's now a few weeks of nada when we could re-establish a team and get the ball rolling.

• Advertisement
Advertisement