Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renault Cars- Along way from penny repairs

Options
  • 24-09-2010 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Just a warning for anyone considering buying a Renault car. Before you do so consider that the electronics are constantly breaking and cost a fortune to repair. The Drivers door went on my Megan Tourer 2005 and it cost over £ 290 to repair. Now I have been informed that the key needs to be replaced and it costs £ 240. One would think that the key for a car should last the lifetime of the car. No wonder Bill Cullen is along way from Penny Apples as he is ripping of the Irish consumer with keys that his Staff assure me are not expected to last for the the life of the car.( you know the type of conceited staff that are astounded that you do not think this expense is normal) £ 240 to repalce the Key and now as I cannot afford this I have to leave my car unlocked. Beware consider before buying these cars the electronic/Keys are very expensive to repair and they are designed to break so consider these large extra above and beyond the expensive Renault Service before going near a Renault Dealer especially Bill Cullen's one. Think of those makers that give five year warranties instead.
    The only pleasure I have in this is I am replacing my car soon and I will not be going near them and I have already convinced 2 people not to buy Renault.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Just a warning for anyone considering buying a Renault car. Before you do so consider that the electronics are constantly breaking and cost a fortune to repair. The Drivers door went on my Megan Tourer 2005 and it cost over £ 290 to repair. Now I have been informed that the key needs to be replaced and it costs £ 240. One would think that the key for a car should last the lifetime of the car. No wonder Bill Cullen is along way from Penny Apples as he is ripping of the Irish consumer with keys that his Staff assure me are not expected to last for the the life of the car.( you know the type of conceited staff that are astounded that you do not think this expense is normal) £ 240 to repalce the Key and now as I cannot afford this I have to leave my car unlocked. Beware consider before buying these cars the electronic/Keys are very expensive to repair and they are designed to break so consider these large extra above and beyond the expensive Renault Service before going near a Renault Dealer especially Bill Cullen's one. Think of those makers that give five year warranties instead.
    The only pleasure I have in this is I am replacing my car soon and I will not be going near them and I have already convinced 2 people not to buy Renault.

Renault cars are pure sh1te and anyone with a bit of a motoring brain would tell you this. As a matter of fact the entire French motoring industry have been producing nothing but sheer garbage for years and I wouldn't touch Citroen, Peugeot or Renault with a 30ft bargepole.
    There is some amount of suckers getting conned into buying new Renaults with the scrappage deal due its heavy promotion and they will be sorry they parted with their old reliable in a year or two.

Buy German and you won't go too far wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭dunsandin

Hmmmmmmm.......Like the Passat and Audi A4/6??? Saw just how reliable those are(n't) at work - and just how cheap they are(n't) to repair. Or the Latterday offerings from Merc, or the "Built tough" Glof?? Or the BMW's with their swirly flaps insuction system???
    Good and bad in everything, IMO. I've a Citroen van, 230k miles up, storming on ahead. My cars a Renault, basically, with 236k, nothing done to it. But, sister has an 04 megane, on its 3rd gearbox( in fairness its got 65k on the clock and she's never had it serviced..... and its an auto.....and she drives it like she stole it.
    BIL has a new(09)Laguna, and raves about it. The missus had a Xantia that never got looked at from the day it was bought to the day it was wrapped around a lorry(she walked away, giving out). Tough car.
    So, balance in everything. Many Frenchly vehicles are indeed a tad crap, but not all, as are some German motors wonderful, but not all.
    Franchopiley, DS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Car garages & marques have been rippping consumers off on keys for years.

Go to http://www.alphalockandsafe.com/ and they'll do it a hell of a lot cheaper. - €90 when I got a renault key done about a year ago.

As for serviceing & repairs - find a good decent local mechanic and he'll serve you for years at half the price of a garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I got a car thief to re-program my immobiliser. Job done for €100 & I can now start the car with a spoon if I like & take the keys out whilst driving!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Could you get it from a Renault garage in Newry?
    I was quoted EUR300 for a set of Renault roof racks for a Scenic about 6 years ago. I order the same ones, and collected them the following Saturday from Renault in Newry for GBP100.
    Also, I have had 4 Renaults since 1998, and only once had a genuine electrical issue. It was a radio, that they replaced just outside the warranty period. Like every brand, sometimes it's the luck of the draw.
    However, the depreciation is savage. Makes it hard to move outside the brand, which probably suits them.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kcourt

Just paid out almost €500 this week in reparis for our Renualt furthermore had been messed around by garage in Dundalk wasted a trip as they hadnt the part they said they had and not to mention my sons fiver that went messing in the rear seat i am steeming

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Think of those makers that give five year warranties instead.
    LOL, Renault is one of very few manufacturers that gives a 5 year, unlimited mileage warranty in Ireland. Most manufacturers give 2 years.

The prices quoted for a window regulator and key replacement are not abnormal, they'd be about the same for any make. Keys can break due to abuse, the window regulator shouldn't fail but hardly the end of the world.
    Renault cars are pure sh1te and anyone with a bit of a motoring brain would tell you this. As a matter of fact the entire French motoring industry have been producing nothing but sheer garbage for years and I wouldn't touch Citroen, Peugeot or Renault with a 30ft bargepole.
    There is some amount of suckers getting conned into buying new Renaults with the scrappage deal due its heavy promotion and they will be sorry they parted with their old reliable in a year or two.

Load of rubbish. Those people buying new Renaults are getting decent reliable cars for a cheap price. The reliability of Renaults (and the other French makes) has been good for several years - this is shown by the German ADAC breakdown statistics - as opposed to pub talk bullsh*t

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I assume you mean € or are you giving out about expensive UK garages?

€200 ish would be standard for most makes to get a new key BTW. Just because Renaults are in the form of a card instead of a fob with a metal blade makes little difference.

As for parts in general, I dotn see where this thing of Renaults being expensive to repair comes from. Parts are no dearer than other makes. Where you get the work done on the other hand can vary hugely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Stinicker wrote: »

I laughed so hard at this comment I almost weed myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Load of rubbish. Those people buying new Renaults are getting decent reliable cars for a cheap price. The reliability of Renaults (and the other French makes) has been good for several years - this is shown by the German ADAC breakdown statistics - as opposed to pub talk bullsh*t

the handbrake motor on my 5 year old renault died recently. Cost of repair? €1100 and it can only be done by a renault garage. Why does a handbrake need a motor anyway - its over-engineering & on another brand it would have been a simple repair that could be carried out by any mechanic.

Also there's a airbag-fault alarm on the dashboard - apparently this is due to loose wiring under the seat, but it requires a complete replacement of the wiring loom at a cost of €300+labour. These are not isolated faults, there's accounts online of many other Renault owners facing the same sort of astronomical bills to fix trivial faults. I'll never buy another Renault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

loyatemu wrote: »
    the handbrake motor on my 5 year old renault died recently. Cost of repair? €1100 and it can only be done by a renault garage. Why does a handbrake need a motor anyway - its over-engineering & on another brand it would have been a simple repair that could be carried out by any mechanic. .

Plenty of cars have electronic handbrakes these days.
    loyatemu wrote: »
    Also there's a airbag-fault alarm on the dashboard - apparently this is due to loose wiring under the seat, but it requires a complete replacement of the wiring loom at a cost of €300+labour. These are not isolated faults, there's accounts online of many other Renault owners facing the same sort of astronomical bills to fix trivial faults. I'll never buy another Renault.

Replacing a wiring loom because of a loose connection or even a broken wire is a main dealer thing. Theres plenty of garages that could repair it for buttons. Sure you could do it yourself for free, it's low voltage wireing. The golden rule with any brand is once it's out of warranty, find yourself a good independent guy that knows his stuff.

Every brand has these stories, Renault main dealers dont have some sort of monopoly on deciding mre work than absolutely nessecary needs doing.

Even at their worst about 5 or 6 years ago when the Laguna II and Megane II were doing poorly , Renault never actually came bottom of any reliability surveys afaik, with the exception I think of the Espace, in what is a fairly llimited catagory.

In it's worst year I think the Laguna II had something like 34 faults per 100 cars (I'm going on memory here) , the similar age transit had 3 or 4 more, yet people liek to rehash the "man in the pub stories" that all Renaults are muck. Audi and VW for example never faired too much higher on the lists than Renault, yet are held up as some sort of bastians of reliability among the general public.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Had a R19, megane hatch, megane saloon and scenic....so speaking from experience.
    You need to think about having €1k a year to sort out the problems that were simply too many to list.

Now left Renault behind and have an Avenis and C-Max, have not cost me a cent in repairs in almost 2 years.....never Renault again, never

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Stinicker wrote: »

oh dear, I'm afraid you've been watching too many 'German Quality' adverts!
    There's lots of things wrong with German engineering. I work for a German company and it's amazing how inefficient they are. I for one will never believe that German engineering marketing babble again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

oh dear, I'm afraid you've been watching too many 'German Quality' adverts!
    There's lots of things wrong with German engineering. I work for a German company and it's amazing how inefficient they are. I for one will never believe that German engineering marketing babble again.

+1

I work for a German company and theres so much process and red tape, nothing ever gets done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭rockdrummer4

Renault are sh*t, end of...

Used to have a Laguna, cost me 3000 last year to keep running, got rid of it a few months later, trade in for 1500 !! Piece of crap.

Have a Mazda MX5 now, reliable and very cheap to maintain...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

renault are useless cars ask any owner they all experience problems with them very early on

Advertisement