Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctor Open on Saturday?

Options
  • 24-09-2010 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭

Howdy. I've a bit of a problem and need to go to a doctor tomorrow preferably. Any doctors open on saturdays for any length of time? Don't want to chance waiting until Monday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

I think an out if hours GP service operates in Galway called West Doc. It would be an equivalent service to Shannon Doc and South Doc which operate in Clare and Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

the only place to go is westdoc at lisbon industrial est. its for emergencey.s..you have to call them to see if they think you need to be seen, a nurse will call you back to ask what is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Phone your GP and find out from their answerphone which out-of-hours service they belong to: there are two (at least) operating in Galway and they don't treat anyone who's not registered with one of their GPs.

If you don't have a GP, your options are the A&E at UCHG, or the one at Galway Clinic (open 10am - 6 or 7pm I believe). But of these will charge a lot, and the hospital one may give you grief about not going to your GP first.

If you don't have a GP but do have medical insurance, you could try phoning the insurance company's advice line, where (I believe) you'll get to talk to a nurse. Or you could try going to a chemists and talking to the pharmacist - again not a doctor, but they do know a fair bit about some things.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Thanks a million guys, that's all I needed to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

JustMary wrote: »
    Phone your GP and find out from their answerphone which out-of-hours service they belong to: there are two (at least) operating in Galway and they don't treat anyone who's not registered with one of their GPs.

If you don't have a GP, your options are the A&E at UCHG, or the one at Galway Clinic (open 10am - 6 or 7pm I believe). But of these will charge a lot, and the hospital one may give you grief about not going to your GP first.

If you don't have a GP but do have medical insurance, you could try phoning the insurance company's advice line, where (I believe) you'll get to talk to a nurse. Or you could try going to a chemists and talking to the pharmacist - again not a doctor, but they do know a fair bit about some things.

Good luck.

I'm pretty sure they treat patients who aren't registered to a local GP too, I brought a friend to Westdoc a cpl years ago who wasn't long living in Galway and didn't have a GP here, they had no problem seeing her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

went to the doctor on a saturday before in the bon secours in renmore. think its a morning service.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

went to the doctor on a saturday before in the bon secours in renmore. think its a morning service.

That's CityDoc, the other out of hours service. Again it's 24 hour cover at weekends, but accessed via your own GP's answerphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tootired

"I'm pretty sure they treat patients who aren't registered to a local GP too, I brought a friend to Westdoc a cpl years ago who wasn't long living in Galway and didn't have a GP here, they had no problem seeing her."

It depends on which doctor is on duty in Westdoc, only a few will see patients that aren't registered. You were lucky the day you called a Dr was on duty that would see unregistered patients.

Advertisement