Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyberfest at Annaghmore is OFF

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Gardaí suspecting drug use? WTF? Surely that's a given at these things? Loads of similar events take place every year all around the country. If the Gardai have developed a concern with drug use, then police it properly and target suppliers. Whatever the event was it couldn't be on the same scale of hedonism witnessed at the likes of Creamfields et al.
    Those acts will demand payment for calling it off with a days notice. Either the organisers will be ruined or they default as I suspect event insurance may not cover something like that.
    If initial reports are to be believed, it seems incredibly high handed. They should take a long look at some of the scum building a criminal empire in and around Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

It is an interesting one. I was contracted to provide lighting for some of the areas. I am pissed off that I did not get a call but that I had read it on the net at 10pm last night. I spoke to the main organiser and he was all over the shop about how financially fukked he is over this. I, from the outside, would note that it had a 'amature' feel to the organisation, I was out there during the week and although a lot of work/money had obviously been used, there seemed to be fundamentals missing especially in the safety/public lighting areas. Frankly I would have solved most of that today had I the chance. It has totally buggered my weekend plans but I feel sympathy for the guy, he came across as a nice enough chap.

If, as reported and relayed to me by the organiser, the Gardai 'bullied' him into pulling the gig over 'worries' about drug use then I think it is VERY wrong of the cops. I suspect the Garda found some missing licence or whatever to 'Fail' the event but that is not what the guy told me nor is reported. I suspect the result of this is that the organiser will find himself in hot water with many of the contractors/DJ's/Audio/Tent/Lighting/Portaloo etc. I will write it off and have a chat with the Guy when he is cooler regarding not informing me when it happened. He would have saved me 3 hours work last night in my cold barn! The Sligo band 'This Side Up' (check them out) were not informed either and they had taken days off work etc for this.

All told I would like to hear the cops side to this. If the situation is as reported then I would be hiring a serious lawyer to take a case against the Gardai for lost earnings etc. How could they nail an otherwise legal event because they suspect drug use might take place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Drugs... at a rave? Are you mad!!

I was gonna head along to this.. it's only down the road from me, but not now. I feel sorry for anyone who traveled to Sligo for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Sure maybe the Gardai will now start banning Pubs, because of the possibility that some punter, somewhere, might drive home drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Sure maybe the Gardai will now start banning Pubs, because of the possibility that some punter, somewhere, might drive home drunk.

Ssssh. It'll be policy in a month's time if they read that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭angrykoala

[HTML]
    If the situation is as reported then I would be hiring a serious lawyer to take a case against the Gardai for lost earnings etc. How could they nail an otherwise legal event because they suspect drug use might take place.
    [/HTML]

there is no case against the gardai on this. this was never a legal event because it never had a license. the first time a license was applied for was on thursday(2 days before the event). there was no license. this should have been applied for beforew the tickets even went on sale. feel sorry for the guy but he should have got the paperwork in order. dont blame gardai for poor planning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

there is no case against the gardai on this. this was never a legal event because it never had a license. the first time a license was applied for was on thursday(2 days before the event). there was no license. this should have been applied for beforew the tickets even went on sale. feel sorry for the guy but he should have got the paperwork in order. dont blame gardai for poor planning

You're wrong there I'm afraid.

Under Section 231 of the Planning and Development Act, 2000 and Part 16 of the Planning & Development Regulations, 2001 a licence is required in respect of the holding of outdoor events. An outdoor event that comprises of an audience of 5,000 or more must apply to the Local Authority for a Licence.

The capacity was limited to 1500 and it wouldn't have even hit a thousand.

As far as I am aware, and I have been in touch with the organisers, they did everything they could to ensure all the appropriate permissions were in place prior to the event and the reasons for the event being cancelled at the 11th hour are spurious, at best.

I don't know what the actual reason is for the event being prevented from going ahead and maybe it is perfectly reasonable and legal, but it certainly wasn't because it required a licence under the aforementioned legislation.

so what exactly was the judges ruling and reasons...... he must have given something in court other than the gardai dont want it. also the license applied for was an occasional license. if this all that was being applied for license wise then it could have gone ahead without this, just without a bar. there was obviously another reasonbut nobody seems to want to say what it was... no traffic management? not enough safety or security? no policing plan....??? nope. lets just blame the gardai. thats easier than saying it was badly planned

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

angrykoala wrote: »
    so what exactly was the judges ruling and reasons...... he must have given something in court other than the gardai dont want it. also the license applied for was an occasional license. if this all that was being applied for license wise then it could have gone ahead without this, just without a bar. there was obviously another reasonbut nobody seems to want to say what it was... no traffic management? not enough safety or security? no policing plan....??? nope. lets just blame the gardai. thats easier than saying it was badly planned[/QUO

I hear you, but I think you are wrong. It has been reported that the event was cancelled due to Gardai fears of drug use. The organiser told me the same. The event was well and professionally planned. It was a little amature in the 'put together' but most of those loose ends would have been well tied up on Sat morning. Signage, Lighting. loos, etc all well planned. Methinks twas a TIK cop who was bullied in school who hates the sight of a dread, piercing or tattoo.

it came before the courts thursday, decision was put off til friday. obviously to get things like signage, loos , lighting etc sorted. if they applied earlier they would have had time. a call had to be made for peoples safety. it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭fionntan g

i was supposed to be playing at this and had taken time off work,not bitter about it being cancelled but feel sorry for the organisers loss of revenue,

had freinds travelling from all around the country so decided to throw a party of our own ,all in all a great weekend was still had.:D

glad to here it. would have been good to see the event go ahead but it wasnt to be. hopefully they can reapply for a later date or next year. theyll have more time to get everything in place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

it came before the courts thursday, decision was put off til friday. obviously to get things like signage, loos , lighting etc sorted. if they applied earlier they would have had time. a call had to be made for peoples safety. it was.

The licence they would have applied for on Thursday related to the sale of booze AFAIK and the other issues like signage, loos, lighting, H&S, traffic, rubbish etc. etc. had all been addressed prior to this application being made.
    If this isn't nanny state type carry on, I don't know what is :confused:
    glad to hear it. would have been good to see the event go ahead but it wasnt to be. hopefully they can reapply for a later date or next year. theyll have more time to get everything in place

So you were thinking of going this year? It surely would have been a blast. But as previous poster said, it didn't prevent a fine weekend being had.. :cool:

Advertisement