Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PURE Nightclub

Options
  • 24-09-2010 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭

So, hadn't been home for a few weeks and the first thing I noticed upon my return to Sligo? Signs for the new PURE nightclub. I figured it must be where ENVY was so I took a spin into town to check it out - sure enough, ENVY is now PURE.

Just wondering if anyone knows much about the new nightclub? As I say, I haven't been around Sligo in weeks so haven't heard or read anything. Is it different owners to the ENVY ones?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

AFAIK the guy who is leasing it also has a bar in Carrick, can't for the life of me remember the name of the place in Carrick now.

Me Old fella still refers to it as Zanadus

• Registered Users Posts: 43,894 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yep, different owners. New owner comes from Carrich-on-Shanon.. and he owns the Dunnes in Carrick and The Cavern in Letterkenny.

It's over 21's on the weekend, and over 18's on weekdays.

Couple of photos and more information on their Facebook page here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

New owners own half a dozen other places in the NW and a couple in the states too I think. Roughly the same layout but a fortune spent on refitting the place. Like a new club really. Smoking area is really nice.
    Very competative drink prices during the week. Regular pricing at weekends. Apparently very busy so far. Velvet will probably retain it's own crowd in the medium/long term. Clarence and Toff's probably bricking it. More choice is always good if you're into clubbing though. And it's jobs. Rare as hen's teeth these days around Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

was in it thursday night very impressed.
    new smoking area is really good there's even a bar in it.
    it's very cheap aswell double vodka and red bull for 5.50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I was in it,thought it was nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Let's play a game. Go through all the names that particular nightclub has had over the years. I can only remember as far back as to when it was called Equinox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Think Zanadus was before that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

The Grand Hotel at one stage!

greetings wrote: »
    Think Zanadus was before that.

Yes! but I think it was spelled Xanadu's.

What about Alcatraz on Adelaide Street?! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭sungem

what about Maximes in Southern Hotel???

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

sungem wrote: »
    what about Maximes in Southern Hotel???

Which was also know as the Papillon, I think!

And Xanadus (without the apostrophe) was I believe the correct spelling. I also remember the Grand Hotel, my granny used to go in there for Saturday afternoon tea. Well, there or the Ballymote (anyone remember that??)

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

Yeah remeber the Ballymote and toffs used to be the Imperial but ws run down and they only used the front part of it at the time. Thought Maxims was in Zanadus, Xanadus for a while too and lets not forget Dinos in the blue lagoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

basquille wrote: »
    What about Alcatraz on Adelaide Street?! :D

Where was that ?

Was it the Limit in the car park under the Adelade.

bennyc wrote: »
    Where was that ?

Was it the Limit in the car park under the Adelade.
    I was too young.. but it was where Jolly Rogers was (AFAIK).

basquille wrote: »
    I was too young.. but it was where Jolly Rogers was (AFAIK).

That was it, basquille, where the polish shop is now, on the left coming from the Cathedral, opposite Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Ahh the Limit, thanks I forgot the name of that hole. It got a reputation for trouble. It was under the Adelade. The entrance is to the right of the pubs entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

TheQ47 wrote: »
    That was it, basquille, where the polish shop is now, on the left coming from the Cathedral, opposite Dunnes.

Ummm No, that was McDonaghs. Alcatraz was formerly the old Fyffes building, which is was until recently pet world. Half of it has been demolished since for the Ted Nealon Rd.

Yeah remeber the Ballymote and toffs used to be the Imperial but ws run down and they only used the front part of it at the time. Thought Maxims was in Zanadus, Xanadus for a while too and lets not forget Dinos in the blue lagoon.

The Blue Lagoon....someone told me they seen U2 play there in or around 1980, can anyone confirm this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

was in it thursday night very impressed.
    new smoking area is really good there's even a bar in it.
    it's very cheap aswell double vodka and red bull for 5.50

Is that even legal?

• Advertisement

Ummm No, that was McDonaghs. Alcatraz was formerly the old Fyffes building, which is was until recently pet world. Half of it has been demolished since for the Ted Nealon Rd.

You're right of course.

Is PetWorld closed?

TheQ47 wrote: »
    You're right of course.

Is PetWorld closed?
    Petworld has moved back out to Horkan's on the Bundoran road.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

Was in Pure last night. It sthe exact same as every niteclub ive ever been in...........a complete blur

Seriously its decent enough, a fair few changes from Envy. Smoking area is really good with a large upstairs part to it. Apparantely its been full nearly every night its been open.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Janine87

I went to the PURE last night. Inside not much difference to the way ENVY used to be. When you come in they took the bar away and put it to the side which I like because it gives much more room but other than that nothing changed inside. I like the outside bit though. You can go upstairs there and they've got couches and you can smoke there and it is heated as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

It's an old building and there's not much they could do with the layout. Had to work with what was there. It'd been added to bit by bit for years. Apparently it was the Victoria Hotel even before it was the Grand.
    Alcatraz was a teenage, alcohol free "club" in the building where Petworld was. And I think the U2 gig, or at least the one I heard about was in the Silver Slipper (Baymount Hotel) in Strandhill. Clapton played there too I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

il gatto wrote: »
    It's an old building and there's not much they could do with the layout. Had to work with what was there. It'd been added to bit by bit for years. Apparently it was the Victoria Hotel even before it was the Grand.
    Alcatraz was a teenage, alcohol free "club" in the building where Petworld was. And I think the U2 gig, or at least the one I heard about was in the Silver Slipper (Baymount Hotel) in Strandhill. Clapton played there too I believe.

Clapton, Thin Lizzy, Hot Chocolate, all the greats of their time played in the baymount.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

the U2 gig in the baymount was in late 1980... december i think but they also played the blue lagoon(twice) earlier in the same year.
    "monday night rocks" in the blue was where it was at back then:cool:

Advertisement