Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Dog is a Picky Eater!

Options
  • 24-09-2010 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭

One of my dogs, Millie, a 3.5 years old terrier cross, is a really picky eater and she's really worrying me. She weighs 10.2kg and is on 50gms of Royal Canin Adult 27 in the morning and evening. I used to add a mixer to it, such as a small amount of wet dog food or some of what we were eating ourselves, but she was putting on too much weight so I stopped. She was fine in the beginning and seemed to like the dry food on its own but not any more! We got a second dog, Max, a two years old basset cross, six weeks ago and I started him on dry Royal Canin, 100gms twice daily, and he is eating every scrap. But Millie seldom if ever finishes hers, especially in the morning, and I practically have to force what she does eat into her.
    Any advice on what I should do? I never leave the food around for longer than 10 - 15 minutes and I try not to feed them between meals, except for the odd doggie biscuit or denta-chew.
    Should I go back to giving her a mixer? I haven't given her a mixer for six weeks at this stage and her weight is back to normal. Is there anything else I could add to her food that would make it interesting but not bad for her?
    Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

If her weight is back to normal thats a good sign and if you start adding mixer again she will start putting weight back on.

I would just leave it as is, she obv really liked the mixer and is just trying to get used to it without and maybe hoping she will get something tastier.

Maybe try feeding her slightly less to try and get her to build up a hunger and she might eat up then.

Just dont fuss her with the food. Just offer the food and if she doesnt eat it then take it away after 15/20mins.

Once she is healthy and poo's are good etc i wouldnt worry too much. If shes after losing weight that she needed to lose then thats good, so i wouldnt go adding a mixer.
    What you could do is soak maybe half her dinner in hot water and let it soak for a few mins then add the remaining. When the food is soaked it smells a lot nicer and the flavours come out a bit more but you arent actually adding something to the meal, just water.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭shelly_g

do you wet the Dry food ...

My fella will not touch his unless its wet .... on the colder mornings i put hot water through it :)

you could put some stock through it ...preferable homemade stock or a small piece of chicken stock cube dissolved ...

its worrying when they wont eat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Yes, it is worrying. I have tried letting her skip meals but it does not make a great deal of difference when they next one comes round. I just end up feeling cruel for expecting her to eat something she does not like!
    I will certainly try to water and, failing that, a stock cube. Just wondering if the salt in the stock cube would be bad for her? But I'd chance anything to get her to eat at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭shelly_g

Shazanne wrote: »
    Yes, it is worrying. I have tried letting her skip meals but it does not make a great deal of difference when they next one comes round. I just end up feeling cruel for expecting her to eat something she does not like!
    I will certainly try to water and, failing that, a stock cube. Just wondering if the salt in the stock cube would be bad for her? But I'd chance anything to get her to eat at the moment.

i agree Salt is an issue .... therefore if you can make your own from boiling chicken or something it would be better ....

I also agree that if output and mood is normal than dont be too worried ... she is just letting you know she aint happy with the change

I have a very stubborn Golden retriever who isnt fond of any changes in routine ... prehaps she is similiar

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

small bit of tuna in sunflower oil mix it in good and add a bit of hot water and see how she gets on

• Advertisement
Advertisement