Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Out of Date Film

• 24-09-2010 11:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

I am just after getting my hands on my grandads old film camera, a Minolta. I've been doing digital photography for some time now, and I think its time to break into something new, so film photography it is.

I have seen online (eBay) that the cheapest film I can get is out of date film, and people seem to say its a bit hit and miss, I want to only give this side of photography a shot and of course I am going to waste a load of rolls just learning so I am just looking for the cheapest option.

So should I steer clear of these rolls or should I use them as its the cheapest I can get???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭theboat

I've had no problems with out of date film so far (I've been shooting film about a year). In fact, I've only ever shot one roll of in-date film, and didn't notice any difference!
    If you can get your hands on a bunch of cheap out-of-date film, go for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

I think I've never shot film that wasn't out of date. I would certainly recommend it as only a small percentage of them were not-usable after shooting. Most of them come out fine, some come out funny (in a good way, mad colours for instance) and very few don't come out at all. Especially if you want to "mess around" a little - go for it! The Unicare pharmacies tend to give away a bit of expired film as well, certainly when you leave rolls in with them to develop. My advice: expired film rocks!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

It all depends on what sort & how far out of date it is.

The normal consumer film is fairly tollerant and will be OK for quite a few years after the date on the can. This will depend on how it has been stored. If it's been in the heat then it can deteriorate. Some specialty films, like IR, go off very quickly and they can be useless out of date.

Keep your films in the Fridge to extend their life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

YourName wrote: »
    I am just after getting my hands on my grandads old film camera, a Minolta. I've been doing digital photography for some time now, and I think its time to break into something new, so film photography it is.

I have seen online (eBay) that the cheapest film I can get is out of date film, and people seem to say its a bit hit and miss, I want to only give this side of photography a shot and of course I am going to waste a load of rolls just learning so I am just looking for the cheapest option.

So should I steer clear of these rolls or should I use them as its the cheapest I can get???

lol :rolleyes:

Out of date film is fine.. as its been said it can turn out with mad colors which isn't bad. If I were you I would try get a little of everything and see which you like best and stick with it.

For color im using alot of kodak portra and for black and white I used fuji neopan and now kodak tmax.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

dazftw wrote: »

Out of date film is fine.. as its been said it can turn out with mad colors which isn't bad. If I were you I would try get a little of everything and see which you like best and stick with it.

For color im using alot of kodak portra and for black and white I used fuji neopan and now kodak tmax.

Out of date film is fine OP. Quite a few of us use it and have no problems with it. If the film has been stored properly then you should be fine, if not then it could be very hit and miss.

(Wasn't being smart dazftw but c'mon that's funny!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

orwo05.jpg

that shot was taken on film nearly 40 years old. it had lost sensitivity, but still worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

It says all over ebay that these expired rolls are perfect for lomography, i presume this doesnt make a difference, as it will be perfect for normal photography too.

Where do you guys get your expired rolls? Because i don't know what the past history or these rolls will be you know !!!

Out of date film is fine OP. Quite a few of us use it and have no problems with it. If the film has been stored properly then you should be fine, if not then it could be very hit and miss.

(Wasn't being smart dazftw but c'mon that's funny!)

Ah color, colour blah blah.. You will excuse if I was 9 hours into a night shift at work. I made some posts last night that were the direct influence of being sleep deprived :p

Its ironic though that op wants to try something new and that's film photography.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

dazftw wrote: »
    Its ironic though that op wants to try something new and that's film photography.
    new for him, obviously.

new for him, obviously.

ugh, your not getting it.. or at least I hope you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

Ive used out of date flim,, medium format, 35mm, polaroid, and the results very alot. You should not have to pay for film if you go into some of the camrea shops and ask them if they have any out of date film..

I got some medium format from Gunns ages ago that has been out of date for a long time.. I was told to ignore the process time, and develop the film as if the iso had degraded... ie if its 400, develop it as if it was 100 etccc.. its mostly trial and error.

this is a shot from film 30 years out of date http://www.flickr.com/photos/sorourkes/2247579296/in/set-72157603861908940/

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭stabo

Ive loads of out of date 35mm film from unicare if you want some?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

Yeb stabo, that would be nice if its going, pop us up with a pm when you get a chance sure.

Yeh the irony, but its new to me, but not the rest of you

I got some medium format from Gunns ages ago that has been out of date for a long time..
    sounds like you got some of the same batch of orwo that i did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

I gave humberklog some 15yr old out of date film. Some really nice pictures came from it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

We had a talk at DCC once from a Photographer who prefers to shoot his Landscapes on a certain film (can't recall which one now) which is at least three years out of date. He would buy the film in date and lay it down like wine until it was mature. The change in the chemistry gave him a look which he liked for his work. IIRC that film has now been discontinued and he now has a dwindling stock of his expired film. I think that you can probably shoot in Digital or with fresh film and then edit in PP to achieve an almost identical result but people like to work in their own particular way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

sounds like you got some of the same batch of orwo that i did.

Dang are you the guy who took it all??? i went back to get more in Gunns... they told me some guy took it all :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Chorcai wrote: »
    I gave humberklog some 15yr old out of date film. Some really nice pictures came from it.

Indeed C. One 50iso and the other was 400. B+W so no issue with colour wobble.

Sure OP just stick'm in the camera and go.

Dang are you the guy who took it all??? i went back to get more in Gunns... they told me some guy took it all :)
    'tweren't me, i only got three rolls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 pimark

I use ood b+w films only and they're fine. Mix of ilford and kodak stuff for 35mm and 120. No issues yet. That said if it was for something important
    I wouldn't take a chance on it not turning out the way I wanted.

Still, well worth taking and having fun it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Expired in 1977, and kept in a cupboard as far as I know..

F0B1FF2936E24D93B674196F61C3F8F3-800.jpg

Go for it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25 monosnaps

Out of date film is fine for creative work especially colour you can get some unusual results. I have found it it loses speed so reduce ASA. On mono again you do lose some speed and contrast but its fine for most subjects. Perfect for the Holga. There is always the risk of some fogging and with 120 film and it can be selective like the first few frames. I have noticed even fresh film that's been badly stored (most Dublin camera shops) can have slight fogging 120 more so than 35mm. Stick with shops like Gunn's that sell a lot of film.

I have some OOD colour film 120 and 35mm, cant remember exactly whats in the bag but can be collected Hueston station if anyone wants it. PM me.

Film now allocated, thanks.

Advertisement