Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just out of Meteor contract and want to move to 3Pay

Options
  • 25-09-2010 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭

Last week it was 12 months since I signed up to Meteor. Initially I had no problems with them but after a few months I moved house out to the countryside and the meteor signal was pretty bad.

I have Three mobile broadband(the only mobile broadband that will work out my way) so was thinking of switching to Three for my mobile also. Going to go with the sim only option for the moment to see if the signal is ok so will need to unlock my phone. I realise that there is a 30 day cancellation period and I dont mind paying for that (only on a €25 plan) but what I was wondering is if I ring Meteor tomorrow to cancel can I port my number to a Three sim straight away or do I have to wait 30 days?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

If your out of Contract you can go ahead and port your number out today as long as you have no outstanding balance, as you pay a month in advance you will then receive a bill in credit minus additional call charges like international etc

• Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If the broadband works you'll be fine for signal, if it's a bill pay modem you have and you move to 3 bill pay or best of both they'll drop the price of your 19.99pm broadband to 14.99. If your in an NBS are they won't be able to give you the discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

They seem to be the only network with good pre pay data add-ons all the others suck with there 50mb a day for 99c maybe a few years ago it would have been ok but with the ammount of data used on mobiles now-adays we need at least 500mb -1GB ...

OP
    if your getting 3G signal then you should be fine for your mobile and also if your outside of 3's network areas they use vodafone for voice and texts and data also so you should always be covered for signal wherever you go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I rang up Meteor earlier today to cancel my account with them and to also get my phone unlocked so that I could port my number to Three and get a sim from them. After being put through to 4 different people I was told to get my IMEI number and to ring them back. I did this only to be told that Meteor have to contact the Mobile Company who made my phone (Sony) and that it could take up to 10 working days to get the code.

Is that common? I thought it would have been very simple to get the unlock code. Im pretty pissed off about it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

its done to prevent you from moving. some times they never get back to you. im 5 years and waiting to get that code of vodafone. been with two other networks since. I have heard of people getting the number after a week or two alright. but it is normal

• Advertisement

scheister wrote: »
    its done to prevent you from moving. some times they never get back to you. im 5 years and waiting to get that code of vodafone. been with two other networks since. I have heard of people getting the number after a week or two alright. but it is normal

Its bloody rediculous that they are doing this. Am I right in saying that I could go online to countless websites that would give me the information (for a price?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

gazzer wrote: »
    I rang up Meteor earlier today to cancel my account with them and to also get my phone unlocked so that I could port my number to Three and get a sim from them. After being put through to 4 different people I was told to get my IMEI number and to ring them back. I did this only to be told that Meteor have to contact the Mobile Company who made my phone (Sony) and that it could take up to 10 working days to get the code.

Is that common? I thought it would have been very simple to get the unlock code. Im pretty pissed off about it tbh.

meteor dont have the codes they always have to contact the company that makes phones i dont this with o2 and it took about 8 days to get the code some companys take longer than sony do !

Am I right in saying that I could go online to countless websites that would give me the information (for a price?)

What phone are you using?

What phone are you using?

Sony Ericcson W995.

Sony Ericcson W995.

You can do it yourself, google da vinci team, you should rebrand it with the 3 software while your at it, it's easy to do, set you back about 20 euro for the rebrand and the unlock. Use the 3 ireland global firmware from the website if your rebranding.

• Advertisement

You can do it yourself, google da vinci team, you should rebrand it with the 3 software while your at it, it's easy to do, set you back about 20 euro for the rebrand and the unlock. Use the 3 ireland global firmware from the website if your rebranding.

Thanks for that. I havnt got my USB connection for the phone with me at the moment but will try it out when I get home.

Thanks for that. I havnt got my USB connection for the phone with me at the moment but will try it out when I get home.

It'll take about half an hour for the rebrand, you need to download the software suite from their site and download the w995 drivers as well.

Advertisement