Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Condensation on new double glazing

• 25-09-2010 9:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭

Just got some new double glazed windows put in but have noticed a lot of condensation on the inside in the last couple of mornngs...it ends up in small puddles on internal window sill which has to be wiped up. Is this normal? If yes, what can I do to minimise it?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭kitser

you will get tyhat at first until the plaster has fully dried. open the windows as much as possible during the day for a few weeks. it should right itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Mocrie14

kitser wrote: »
    you will get tyhat at first until the plaster has fully dried. open the windows as much as possible during the day for a few weeks. it should right itself.

Wasnt any plastering done to be honest - old wndows were just replaced. Job was done about 3 weeks ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

How's the ventilation in the rooms??
    Lots of old windows leak a little and the new ones are probably air tight, any room which is seald up tight will have condensation on the windows, particularly bedrooms...

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭smoochie06

SEI have a good download available. Its a detailed guide to insulation. However on page 13 there is a piece on windows and on page 21 there is a guide to condensation. The whole booklet is a good read. Hope this helps.

[EMAIL="http://www.seai.ie/Power_of_One/Downloads/"]http://www.seai.ie/Power_of_One/Downloads/[/EMAIL]

bbam wrote: »
    How's the ventilation in the rooms??
    Lots of old windows leak a little and the new ones are probably air tight, any room which is seald up tight will have condensation on the windows, particularly bedrooms...

Yea think this may be the prob...two bedrooms in particular are fairly sealed up and windows are only real source of ventelation. Rooms are at both gable ends of house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

You should look at getting wall vents fitted, one per room. Not only will it help reduce the condensation but it'll also help prevent future moisture related problems such as mould.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    You should look at getting wall vents fitted, one per room. Not only will it help reduce the condensation but it'll also help prevent future moisture related problems such as mould.

Might do that thanks. Windows dont have any type of trickle vent - is this unusual?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭metalgear2k2

You only get vents on windows if you order them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I don't think I'd go for wall vents... They are too hard to control excess wind noise and I feel they let in too much air...

I'd ring the window company and have tricle vents fitted to your new windows, It'll be much cheaper than bursting our wall vents...

First you could try putting the smallest opening on air lock either, the window should open about 5-10m and then lock in this position with the handle...

You only get vents on windows if you order them.

Hmmm..ok. Was never even mentioned by sales guy - I'll know better next time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Dehumidifier?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

I have gas filled double glazing at back of house and older standard double glazing in the front. Back is north-west facing, Front south-east.

There is only a wall vent in the kitchen and the upstairs bathroom. The other rooms have no vents. Fairly airtight, and no wall insulation whatsoever. Solid concrete.

On really cold mornings I get a line of condensation along the bottom of the gas-filled windows. However, virtually the whole of the standard double-glazed windows has a thin mist of condensation.

Before I got the gas-filled windows at the back, I had single glazed aluminium - practically needed a bath towel every morning just to clear off the condensation, so they have made a huge difference, but have not eliminated all condensation.

So I agree with others, I don't think you will eliminate all condensation without adequate ventilation and insulation, but would be interesting to hear if this still happens with triple glazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭kitser

there a quite a few possibilities for the cause of the condensation. D.G units with the aluminium spacer bar transfer the cold from the outside pane to the inner one. there are thermix bars and others which do not . some windows are fitted without the base of the frame being sealed on the inside. this can allow cold air to get in and the result is condensation. some (usually inferior quality systems) have loose fitting glass in the frame resulting in a poor seal. the way to know this is by the ease of removing the gasket/bead - depending on type of system.

triple glaze units will sort the problem for some of the above, but not all. it is trial and error stuff. best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

I have same problem with condensation on standard double glazing, but mostly in 1 bedroom and more so since I dry lined room.

House is 11 yrs old with wall vents in each room. Have you heard of a fan type unit that moves air from your attic space into house, its suppose to eliminate condensation and mould. I dont know anyone who has one fitted. I,d be interested in feedback.

Advertisement