Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New camera - compact or full-body?

• 25-09-2010 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

My camera for the last 4-5 years (Canon Ixus 70 compact camera) has died after too much exposure to water on a recent boat trip, so I need a new camera.

I'm divided about whether I should go for:

A) another small slim compact camera, with a slightly bigger screen hopefully, something I can easily slip into my pocket

B) a "fully-body" camera, with much better image quality (when I view photos on the web, even at low resolutions, it's easy to see which have been taken with a compact and which have been taken with a "proper" camera) - I don't need a full SLR necessarily, or lots of the more fancy features on the camera, just GOOD sharp image quality, good flash, etc.

Is there any good compromise, something reasonably compact which will produce better image quality than your regular compact camera?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,399 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Maybe something like Canon g12
    or sony hx5v

or something with large sensor, good lens but not slr
    Olympus pen
    Sony nex cameras
    panasonic g1, g2
    samsung nx
    sigma dp1 dp2

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭dubhoop

sony h20. very good compact indeed. i have one and its brilliant heres a review
    http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/sony-cyber-shot-dsc/4505-6501_7-33521241.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Have a look in the FAQ Sticky and there is a section in there about selecting a new camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭stunt_penguin

Another thing to look at is micro 4/3rds cameras from Olympus et al- imagine a sizeable compact with interchangeable lenses and you're onto the right idea. Olympus and Panasonic et al make them- check out the Panasonic G1 for more ideas.

Advertisement