Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subtitles

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Recently my housemate went to rent a DVD - he said he was going to get [REC]2 and went to XtraVision. At the counter they informed him that it was subtitled and he didn't want to get it.

Yargh.

You dodged a bullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

You dodged a bullet.

Ah it wasn't that bad. It was just a step down from the 1st one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Judging from the quality of most dubbing, voice actors are people who weren't good enough for TV or film acting (bar the few countries where there is actually a healthy voice acting industry, e.g. Japan).

Subs over dubs every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭thenakedanddead

I don't understand why dubbing seems to be more popular than subtitles. I'm not saying I'm particularly annoyed by them, but it seems so much easier to put the words on the bottom of the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I don't understand why dubbing seems to be more popular than subtitles. I'm not saying I'm particularly annoyed by them, but it seems so much easier to put the words on the bottom of the screen.

It's a foreign phenomena, maybe because so many mainstream films are released in English. I don't know if I'd like to watch a subtitled film every other time I stick one on. I do hate dubbed movies though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Smokin_Aces

It's interesting to see other peoples view on subtitles.

Today we watched Shallow Grave and the subtitles were on, most of the class didn't seem too bothered about it which is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Even though i don't like subtitles on foreign language films i don't mind them on English language ones. I used to stick subtitles on all the time because i used to work late when i was in college and wouldn't be tired when i came home. So i'd watch a film but couldn't have the volume too high. Walls were so thin i could hear my neighbors rice krispies snap, crackle and pop. It became a bit of a habit of mine for a while then. I'd put subtitles on all the time. A few mates even began copying me.

Advertisement