Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fruit Press wanted

Options
  • 25-09-2010 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

I have some excess fruit and wanted to make different preserves and juices from it. I was wondering if anyone has an old fruit press that they no longer use? I can give it back some use. Anywhere in the country considered for collection.

Thanks

Kev

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Any chance of a few gallons of cider?:D:D

It should be fairly easy to make one using strong timber and a bottle jack.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭kaizer_soze

Yea cider is one of the things I want to make. I know what you're saying about making one but using an existing fruit press would be much easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

It will need to be a pretty tough one to press apples. Getting a small one designed for grapes etc will result in a broken press.

Yea ideally a sturdy cider press means I could do a few different juices. No luck so far anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭vcsggl

Saruman wrote: »
    It will need to be a pretty tough one to press apples. Getting a small one designed for grapes etc will result in a broken press.

Whatever press you use you must chop up the apples first! I make about 200 litres of cider each year. I have a big "mincer" - bit like the old turnip choppers that you still find lying about some farms - and then use a 30litre press. One pressing gives about 5 litres of juice. Most of the mincers - called "scratters" in Somerset - come from Hungary or Czech Republic and are very solid machines, the best presses are cast iron with a very strong beechwood "basket". The kit isn't cheap - this place has the best prices in the UK -http://www.hamstead-brewing-centre.co.uk/itmidx56.htm but you can pay twice as much for fancy stuff.

George

Thanks George, yes that's what I was hoping that there might be an old press or chopper lying around a farm somewhere. New ones are expensive enough.
    I've seen people using a bark-chipper machine to chop up the apples. Fail on that, I have a decent food processor that holds 3 litres and would chop them in seconds. I can transfer the pulped fruit to the press then for squeezing.

If all else fails, I can go the DIY route but I've got a few other DIY and decorating projects to finish in the meantime and would like to finish them off first if possible. I'd be a little late by that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭vcsggl

The bark chipper sounds great! You could process a lot of apples in a very short time I imagine. So far as pressing the pulp goes you can get a good yield with a car jack and a few bits of 4x4 to make a frame - put the apple pulp in something like those log nets and jack it up - or down! Yield is not so good as a purpose built press but if you've got plenty of apples the yield isn't a big issue. If you make your cider now you should be able to drink it by Christmas!!

George

Advertisement