Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Vs. Sunderland Setanta Sports 1 3.00pm 25/09/10

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

PaulieC wrote: »
    A poor mans SOTS, I've said yesterday and I'll say it again - I miss the man :pac:

A poor mans SOTS? I suppose its better than being insignificant, like you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Helix wrote: »
    Was being the key word. Emile heskey WAS one of the most highly rated english prospects at one stage. I think we saw from xmas 08 onwards that rafa didnt have what it took any more. Plus last year he didnt get the club cl footie

Ya your right, who did they beat after that xmas only utd 4-1 at old trafford, real madrid 5-0, and villa 5-0, ignore the last one, villa are ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

niallo27 wrote: »
    Its more or less the same players now that were there a few years ago, only difference is the manager
    Your a funny guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

A poor mans SOTS? I suppose its better than being insignificant, like you.

Twas a joke Stumpy no need to get so touchy bout it...SOTS wouldn't have :pac:

Esse85 wrote: »
    Your a funny guy.

Thanks, people have said that

Twas a joke Stumpy no need to get so touchy bout it...SOTS wouldn't have :pac:

Apologies.

Who is this SOTS, I like the sound of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Apologies.

Who is this SOTS, I like the sound of him.

He was pretty amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Ya your right, who did they beat after that xmas only utd 4-1 at old trafford, real madrid 5-0, and villa 5-0, ignore the last one, villa are ****e

how many points were they clear before rafa imploded and threw it away? what was his record like from that point onwards? in fact, what was liverpools record like from that point onwards?

how many points were they clear before rafa imploded and threw it away? what was his record like from that point onwards? in fact, what was liverpools record like from that point onwards?

they were 9pts clear, but utd had two games in hand, so 3 realistically, they won 13 out 14 games. 40 out of 42 is not bad. On that basis do you think ferguson is a failed manager because he didnt win the league last year.

• Advertisement

they were 9pts clear, but utd had two games in hand, so 3 realistically, they won 13 out 14 games. 40 out of 42 is not bad. On that basis do you think ferguson is a failed manager because he didnt win the league last year.
    fergie didnt take his team from 2nd to 7th

Yes but you were having a dig at Rafa for not winning the league, should ferguson not get the same abuse for blowing the league last year

i wasnt having a dig at rafa for not winning the league, i was having a dig at home for completely imploding when he was top of the league and taking liverpool into an epic downward spiral that is still continuing

my point is that if, as people claim, rafa was a good manager, and he finished 7th last year with a stronger side than liverpool have this year, then surely 7-9th would be a fantastic finish for hodgeson. after all hes apparently not a very good manager, and not a patch on rafa, so wouldnt you be expecting - in all realism - a much poorer manager, with a poorer squad, to probably finish 5-6 places lower than a great manager like rafa did?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Another shocker again today lads. Why are ye playing such ugly football?

I stated here last week after the UTD game that things looked very bad for ye but posters on here said I was being totally over the top.

Was I? Another shocker of a weekend. Things seem to be getting worse and the style of football is terrible. Torres will be gone in January. He didnt get a decent ball all game. Where is this amazing Joe Cole? Hyped up by Sky Sports and Match of the day for years and offered very little.

I am sure many of you though he offered very little and suddenly changed your views when he appeared in a Liverpool shirt. Thing is, he hasn't changed.

Ye also need a new right midfielder. But ye have know that for years, no?

NickDrake wrote: »
    Another shocker again today lads. Why are ye playing such ugly football?

I stated here last week after the UTD game that things looked very bad for ye but posters on here said I was being totally over the top.

Was I? Another shocker of a weekend. Things seem to be getting worse and the style of football is terrible. Torres will be gone in January. He didnt get a decent ball all game. Where is this amazing Joe Cole? Hyped up by Sky Sports and Match of the day for years and offered very little.

I am sure many of you though he offered very little and suddenly changed your views when he appeared in a Liverpool shirt. Thing is, he hasn't changed.

Ye also need a new right midfielder. But ye have know that for years, no?

You must have being bullied at school

i wasnt having a dig at rafa for not winning the league, i was having a dig at home for completely imploding when he was top of the league and taking liverpool into an epic downward spiral that is still continuing

my point is that if, as people claim, rafa was a good manager, and he finished 7th last year with a stronger side than liverpool have this year, then surely 7-9th would be a fantastic finish for hodgeson. after all hes apparently not a very good manager, and not a patch on rafa, so wouldnt you be expecting - in all realism - a much poorer manager, with a poorer squad, to probably finish 5-6 places lower than a great manager like rafa did?

They cam 2nd 4pts off the top, i wont call that imploding

• Advertisement

Didn't answer my questions no?

And he'll be getting some more of it at break time monday.

They cam 2nd 4pts off the top, i wont call that imploding

they fell from top of the league to 15th in 19 months, thats imploding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

I'd call it lack of investment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Didn't answer my questions no?

Personally, I think there's priorities up front and at fullback before right midfield.

Playing ugly football because of being stuck in a rut, Liverpool is a team that struggles with bad momentum and is unstoppable with good. If they hit the ground running a few games in a row they can beat anyone, if they have a couple of poor results it's likely to continue. Is it because of ownership problems? Is it because of new players not gelling yet? Who knows, but I expect when they beat a good team and have a run of results they'll turn the corner a bit. Until they have a convincing result, I think they'll struggle against any opposition and play the ugly football you talk about.

Joe Cole is a very useful player but is not linking the play between midfield and attack like he should be yet. Again, I think this is down to the mentality as a whole. If you saw the game today, I think you'd agree that Sunderland pressed an awful lot. They closed down quickly and wanted the ball. When Liverpool play well, they destroy away teams who sit and defend. When Liverpool play badly, teams like Sunderland can come and attack them and run them down and get results, they know this and went about it the right way today.

Only thing I would disagree with you saying is your assertion that Torres will leave in January. Where do you think he will go?

• Advertisement

Mister men wrote: »

sure the rest of the premiership hasnt improved that much in 19 months that a team who finished 2nd are now hovering above the relegation zone just coz theyve not signed many players

did they overachieve under rafa? have they found their level this past season and a half?

thats what im asking, its mostly the same players who finished 2nd, and under their last 2 managers theyve been pretty poor in the last 2 years

why is that?

8-10 wrote: »
    Personally, I think there's priorities up front and at fullback before right midfield.

Playing ugly football because of being stuck in a rut, Liverpool is a team that struggles with bad momentum and is unstoppable with good. If they hit the ground running a few games in a row they can beat anyone, if they have a couple of poor results it's likely to continue. Is it because of ownership problems? Is it because of new players not gelling yet? Who knows, but I expect when they beat a good team and have a run of results they'll turn the corner a bit. Until they have a convincing result, I think they'll struggle against any opposition and play the ugly football you talk about.

Joe Cole is a very useful player but is not linking the play between midfield and attack like he should be yet. Again, I think this is down to the mentality as a whole. If you saw the game today, I think you'd agree that Sunderland pressed an awful lot. They closed down quickly and wanted the ball. When Liverpool play well, they destroy away teams who sit and defend. When Liverpool play badly, teams like Sunderland can come and attack them and run them down and get results, they know this and went about it the right way today.

Only thing I would disagree with you saying is your assertion that Torres will leave in January. Where do you think he will go?

He will leave to a team that plays football so probably Spain or Italy.

Do you really think ye can beat any team? After a terrible display last season and worse so far this season? I can't see ye getting near the like of City, Chelsea Arsenal or manu.

Ye just don't play with enough conviction or creativity.

sure the rest of the premiership hasnt improved that much in 19 months that a team who finished 2nd are now hovering above the relegation zone just coz theyve not signed many players

You can't really use the table as an example right now. Sure Everton have pressed top 4 recently and finished 5th that season, and are now bottom. If you want to take the snapshot now, that's the glaring difference in 19 months.

Same manager, a lot of the same core players, probably more than Liverpool. Why is that?

Today Liverpool had a bad result, but they're a point closer this evening to Spurs and Arsenal who had arguably easier opposition today. You see? Anyone can put a spin on it. I think everyone here is aware Liverpool are playing poorly, but they're not the only team. People like putting Liverpool down because of how successful they are historically and are bitter or whatever. But it is what it is. I don't expect Liverpool to still be bottom half of the table in May. Drawing with Sunderland is better than losing to West Ham or West Brom imo.

He will leave to a team that plays football so probably Spain or Italy.

Do you really think ye can beat any team? After a terrible display last season and worse so far this season? I can't see ye getting near the like of City, Chelsea Arsenal or manu.

Ye just don't play with enough conviction or creativity.

I'm not really a Liverpool fan. But read what I said, when Liverpool get convincing wins under their belt and get forward momentum, I think they can beat anybody. They were very close to beating Arsenal already this season but for a bit of a freak goal, that was with 10 men. The point I made was that Liverpool always play on momentum. And right now they're in a serious rut.

As for Torres, Italy would be suicide right now. Inter Milan are the only team he could realistically join, he'd have to really miss Rafa. In Spain, it's only Barca, and I don't think their balance sheet could take it after Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

opr wrote: »
    I still can't for the life of me understand why when Poulsen was on the field Gerrard played as the deep lying midfielder and Meireles played close to Torres. It was the same in the last game and I didn't understand it then. Is it that Roy's trying to accommodate Gerrard in the centre cause if that's the case its insanity! Am I missing something ?

Opr

You know what else? Our last two corners went:

- Mereiles right footed from the left, dangerous delivery that had the keeper flapping;
    - Gerrard right footed from the right, overhit loopy delivery away from the main scrum of players and the shaken up keeper;

BOILS MY ****ING BLOOD SO IT DOES!! :mad:

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    You know what else? Our last two corners went:

- Mereiles right footed from the left, dangerous delivery that had the keeper flapping;
    - Gerrard right footed from the right, overhit loopy delivery away from the main scrum of players and the shaken up keeper;

BOILS MY ****ING BLOOD SO IT DOES!! :mad:

I feel ya - I was convinced we'd score, was saying to myself "make the keeper come out for it and he'll fúck up"

Gerrard has proven loads of times, including today that he's capable of scoring with his head - his delivery isn't great and yet we persist in allowing him to take corners - it's nonsensical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Bruce: 'I hate going on about refereeing decisions'.

my arse.

i think i hear him say that every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

SlickRic wrote: »

my arse.

Typical "Oh, he played for United. Let's have a pop."

Playground stuff.

my arse.

He is the very one who would call Wenger a whinge bag. to be honest, Turner got what he deserved today. i mean fair enough if the ref did tell him kick it back to the goalie then look alive and f**king kick it back to him instead of pansying about. i dont blame the ref he clearly blew the whistle then ran upfield anticipating Turner to balloon the ball. Big clue to him.

Le King wrote: »

Playground stuff.

lol - or more likely he's an opposing manager for a team we played today whining about something and making out he never moans about that something when he does every week.

You've hopped the fence baby if you think the above post has anything to do with Utd.

• Advertisement

Mister men wrote: »

i wouldn't say that now. Rafa had plenty of money and a revolving door for alot of his flops who were gone 6 months later.

Playground stuff.

yes, that's exactly what i'm doing :rolleyes:

the man's a whinge.

every team gets bad decisions against them; man up and deal with it. i know no other manager who talks as much about referees as he does.

and it has nothing to do with his Utd past.

it's ironic that you accuse me of playground stuff, since you're obviously the one looking for a playground scuffle of some sort, seen as you bring up the fact that his Utd past has anything to do with the fact he's a whinge. i never mentioned Utd once, and if anyone moaned as much as he does i'd say the exact same thing.

'i don't want to talk about referees' is becoming his catchphrase ffs; he could sell a few t-shirts maybe with that.

lol - or more likely he's an opposing manager for a team we played today whining about something and making out he never moans about that something when he does every week.

You've hopped the fence baby if you think the above post has anything to do with Utd.

Interestingly enough we are talking about Stuart Attwell, who was absolutely shocking.

What was Roy talking about in the post match interview? Unlucky to have a proven offside goal ruled out? Is he mad.

Gerrard should of been sent off, no question.

2 points lost for Sunderland, IMO. Another shocking performance by Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Look lets take the heat out of the situation and be analytical

Ive just bought Steve Bruce a massive big pillow for his enormous fat dribbling head.

you'll get very few arguing about the shocking performance.

based on the last 20 minutes we merited a point just about.

none of this has anything to do with Bruce being an almighty whinge; week in, week out.

Atwell was atrocious, but there were some decisions on both sides that were dodgy as f*ck.

and by the way, our first goal. Turner has to take primary responsibility for that. what he was doing kicking it back i do not know. opportunistic, and everyone probably knew it wasn't a pass, yes, but Turner shouldn't have left the decision there to be made.

Interestingly enough we are talking about Stuart Attwell, who was absolutely shocking.

What was Roy talking about in the post match interview? Unlucky to have a proven offside goal ruled out? Is he mad.

Gerrard should of been sent off, no question.

Oh I get it now - it's no fun for your ilk this year because the majority of our fans have accepted we suck and are completely consumed with the perilous situation at our own club. Jog on. I'm sure you'll get what you need from the Arsenal fans this weekend. Go in and tell them Wenger should be sacked and Chamkah is the worst signing of the summer or something.

You ain't going to stir it up the way you like it here, sorry.

you'll get very few arguing about the shocking performance.

based on the last 20 minutes we merited a point just about.

none of this has anything to do with Bruce being an almighty whinge; week in, week out.

Atwell was atrocious, but there were some decisions on both sides that were dodgy as f*ck.

and by the way, our first goal. Turner has to take primary responsibility for that. what he was doing kicking it back i do not know. opportunistic, and everyone probably knew it wasn't a pass, yes, but Turner shouldn't have left the decision there to be made.

Yeah Turner has to shoulder the responsibility, but it was a horrible piece of refereeing.

You never responded to Steven Gerrard's elbow on Danny Welbeck, then directly afterwords having the cheek to complain about it.

You never responded to Steven Gerrard's elbow on Danny Welbeck, then directly afterwords having the cheek to complain about it.

he probably should've seen red. you lead with the elbow, you're asking for trouble, but it wasn't malicious.

happy?

so, do you or do you not think your ex-hero whinges just a bit too much every week about referees? the original point of this whole little tit-for-tat you were after...

When did rafa come 15th,

• Advertisement

Oh I get it now - it's no fun for your ilk this year because the majority of our fans have accepted we suck and are completely consumed with the perilous situation at our own club. Jog on. I'm sure you'll get what you need from the Arsenal fans this weekend. Go in and tell them Wenger should be sacked and Chamkah is the worst signing of the summer or something.

You ain't going to stir it up the way you like it here, sorry.

Stir what? Wenger sacked? Chamkah brutal? Come on.

But what your saying is that I shouldn't post my thoughts on how bad Liverpool were here because I'm not a Liverpool fan? OR I should "jog on" because my thoughts are smeared as stirring, yet I'm posting more or less what has already been said by Liverpool fans.

Specify my ilk btw.

he probably should've seen red. you lead with the elbow, you're asking for trouble, but it wasn't malicious.

happy?

so, do you or do you not think your ex-hero whinges just a bit too much every week about referees? the original point of this whole little tit-for-tat you were after...

Yeah I agree. He does whinge far too often. Not in Neil Warnock's league yet though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Look lets take the heat out of the situation and be analytical

Ive just bought Steve Bruce a massive big pillow for his enormous fat dribbling head.

:pac:

Steve Bruce is a whinge.
    Whinge as a player and a bigger whinge as a manager.
    Whinge......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Yeah I agree. He does whinge far too often. Not in Neil Warnock's league yet though.

There or there abouts IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Are you saying he doesn't have a point because he clearly does.

Eh no he doesn't.Fault lays at the defender for kicking it tbh.

Wait you edited this for the playground retort ??? ;)

So Gerrard should have seen red yet he didn't..Same thing might have happened last week against United for O Shea, no ? These things happen tbh.That's football for you...They cried about that decision but wasn't a murmur here about Gerrard,that's what football does to us. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

d22ontour wrote: »

So Gerrard should have seen red yet he didn't..Same thing might have happened last week against United for O Shea, no ? These things happen tbh.That's football for you...They cried about that decision but wasn't a murmur here about Gerrard,that's what football does to us. :P

Funny cause most of the people who went through the united v pool game felt that the ref made the right decision about O'Shea (because VDS was getting there first). .

Whats even funnier is the ridiculous decisions that a former Liverpool player couldnt even defend the decisions Liverpool got. It happens at Anfield more then Pool fans like to admit . . Doesnt stop them from ignoring it and having a go at united anytime they get a dodgy decision.

I agree, it does happen in football, its just people love to make out that it only happens to United . . ;)

• Advertisement

Drumpot wrote: »
    Whats even funnier is the ridiculous decisions that a former Liverpool player couldnt even defend the decisions Liverpool got. It happens at Anfield more then Pool fans like to admit

Personally I though the ref was poor in general for both sides - and I wouldn't cosidered myself blinkered before you claim so, he had a poor afternoon.

Secondly - I assume you're referring to Redknapp, in which case lolz - lovely guy, good player for the club but a foolish pundit nonetheless.

Personally I though the ref was poor in general for both sides - and I wouldn't cosidered myself blinkered before you claim so, he had a poor afternoon.

Secondly - I assume you're referring to Redknapp, in which case lolz - lovely guy, good player for the club but a foolish pundit nonetheless.

I refer to Hansen actually..

Pool scored a goal they clearly shouldnt of.

Sunderland should of had a clear peno.

Gerrard should of been clearly sent off.

These things werent even debatable.

What decisions did Sunderland get that balanced these poor decisions out ?

Listen, I agree that this happens in football, its just I know for a fact that if it was united that got these decisions we would be reading all sorts of Sh*t about how United always get the decisions etc. Everyteam gets more decisions at home from refs, not just United. Just fed up reading Anti United BS based on prejudice as opposed to actual statistics. The reason I point this out is a reminder for others that other teams get stupidly ridiculous decisions in games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

lolz! you'd swear liverpool were top of the table the amount of bitterness there is towards us.

that must have been some chip created in the 70s & 80s....

d22ontour wrote: »

WTF are you talking about?

O'Shea wasn't a sending off... The "that's football for you argument"...
    :rolleyes:

lolz! you'd swear liverpool were top of the table the amount of bitterness there is towards us.

that must have been some chip created in the 70s & 80s....

I said it happens in football and people need to remember this the next time they are spouting out bitter Anti ABU Bulls*it . .

What exactly is bitter about the post ? I am just pointing out the ridiculous hypocracy of the ABU brigade !

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement