Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen Downlighter transformer Replacement

Options
  • 25-09-2010 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Morning Chaps

I have downlighters in 2 rooms surrounding a roof light. There are 8 down lights in each room. I have a light not coming on in both of the rooms. The other 7 lights in each area are fine. They are on dimmers and no problems. I have tried changing bulbs and swapping with new and working ones from other sockets so its definitly not the bulbs. So It has to be the transformers. On trying to replace I became stuck as you will see from the pics they are connected to what looks like enclosed circuit boards of some type Is this the transformer? Also is this meant to be able to come through the light fitting hole it looks way bigger! Is this yellow unit the thing i have to replace or a fuse on it. Any ideas? Im good with my hands just need to know what to do. :) I have attached a few pics

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

it's either the 'electronic trafos' or the 'lampholders' assuming you've 'power'

they should fit through the hole

why don't you get a sparkie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 hangover_ie_ie

Ah I repair machines by trade and have a few hundread punds worth of tools so i thought it would be a DIY job but i guess its more complicated than i thought darn it ! So this aint a DIY jobs then? Not being tight i actual love fixing and learning how to replace and fix stuff.

it's not complicated

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭gazelec

That yellow connection is the transformer, you will need to remove the down lighter surround to get the traffo out, just pull the edges down towards you and it should come, but as m cebee said it could be the lamp holder at fault too, chances are though it will be the traffo

Ok i got the lamp holder out and this yellow box with circuits in has come out. It is the transformer so do i replace this whole unit or is there a fuse or something inside i replace?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭gazelec

You will have to replace the transformer, not that dear just a couple of euro, make sure you replace it with a dimmable type also if your lights are on dimmers

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

looks like the traffo is only supplying one fitting so a 60 va traffo will do nicely. go into any electrical wholesaler and ask for a 60 va electronic dimmable traffo. they cost about 5.50 plus vat, ang sure for a couple of quid more you could buy a mr16 lamp holder too just incase it is the lamp holder.

Sweet Chaps took the transformer to Euro electrical . 12 quid got 2 replacement transformers. Will have em changed in 5 mins this evening. Whole cost or exercise 12 euro and 15 mins of time ! Cheers for the tips lads YAY. Them lights have been buggin me 3 years lol never realised how easy they were to sort out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sharkbite1983

make sure you have the 10amp breaker at the board turned off. even when the switch is turned off, you can get an even worse belt off the neutral, its whats known as a neutral backfeed. you dont need to worry about what it is, but the switch will only kill live to the lights, youre neutral is still connected to the rest of the lights on the circuit.

oh defo will do mate, i defo not in the mood of getting an afro :)

• Advertisement

Sweet Chaps took the transformer to Euro electrical . 12 quid got 2 replacement transformers. Will have em changed in 5 mins this evening. Whole cost or exercise 12 euro and 15 mins of time ! Cheers for the tips lads YAY. Them lights have been buggin me 3 years lol never realised how easy they were to sort out :D

you haven't done the job yet:D

hopefully it only takes 5 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

M cebee wrote: »
    you haven't done the job yet:D

hopefully it only takes 5 mins

I always realised how easy them jobs were until i actually start them:)

and the lord said....... LET THERE BE LIGHT.....
    AND THERE WAS LIGHT

Done and dusted that was grand 5 mins all done
    cheers for the input lads :)
    screwed the wires popped fitting back in grand no need for a 90 euro sparks :D

and the lord said....... LET THERE BE LIGHT.....
    AND THERE WAS LIGHT

Done and dusted that was grand 5 mins all done
    cheers for the input lads :)
    screwed the wires popped fitting back in grand no need for a 90 euro sparks :D

As long as he does`t say ...let there be heat:rolleyes:

i'm all for education

but i prefer to recommend a sparkie-even for basic jobs:)

a good deal of expertise and experience needed to do even a basic electrical job properly( ime)

M cebee wrote: »
    i'm all for education

but i prefer to recommend a sparkie-even for basic jobs:)

a good deal of expertise and experience needed to do even a basic electrical job properly( ime)

No doubt about that, usually easy to spot amateur connections, terminations etc.

Advertisement