Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just flashed with DD-WRT but no internet

Options
  • 25-09-2010 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

Ive got a Netgear WNDR3700 which i just put DD-WRT on and the flash was successful.However, i cannot connect to the internet with the router connected.
    I can login to the router while connected but i cant login to the cisco cable modem until i connect direct. They both respond at the same IP address.

Now i noticed the default IP of the netgear with DD-WRT is now 192.168.1.1.
    Bt my Cisco Modem is also on 192.168.1.1.
    My default gateway is 192.168.1.1 with subnet of 255.255.255.0.

I know theres obviously conflicts here and its probably only a few changes to be made here but can anyone advise me on what to change...and to what settings...

Currently I have set up like this....PC-->Netgear LAN, Netgear WAN-->Cisco EPC2425.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Ive got a Netgear WNDR3700 which i just put DD-WRT on and the flash was successful.However, i cannot connect to the internet with the router connected.
    I can login to the router while connected but i cant login to the cisco cable modem until i connect direct. They both respond at the same IP address.

Now i noticed the default IP of the netgear with DD-WRT is now 192.168.1.1.
    Bt my Cisco Modem is also on 192.168.1.1.
    My default gateway is 192.168.1.1 with subnet of 255.255.255.0.

I know theres obviously conflicts here and its probably only a few changes to be made here but can anyone advise me on what to change...and to what settings...

Currently I have set up like this....PC-->Netgear LAN, Netgear WAN-->Cisco EPC2425.

heres a few screenshots of my config.

Pretty straight forward, change the Netgear address to something other than 192.168.1.1.

I'd also suggest putting the Cisco in bridge mode, if you don't need the phone service from it.

Spear wrote: »
    Pretty straight forward, change the Netgear address to something other than 192.168.1.1.

I'd also suggest putting the Cisco in bridge mode, if you don't need the phone service from it.

Sorry to hijack the thread but I know I'm going to ask this eventually. When the Cisco is put in bridge mode does it give out a public IP?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

Spear wrote: »

I DO need the phone from the Cisco so bridge mode is out for me.

Panic over...all is working again...changed the netgear IP outside the DHCP range and entered the DNS servers of my provider.

thanks Spear for the reply.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Karsini wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack the thread but I know I'm going to ask this eventually. When the Cisco is put in bridge mode does it give out a public IP?

Yes.

I actually think the wireless signal is better with the DD-WRT firmware in place !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I actually think the wireless signal is better with the DD-WRT firmware in place !

You can also turn up the output transmit power, 84 mW is considered to be the best setting for maximum power with minimum noise, default is 71
    Wireless-->Advanced Settings-->Tx power

You can even overclock the router with dd-wrt (not really necessary unless You have a really big network with lots of clients)
    Administration-->Management-->Overclock

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    You can also turn up the output transmit power, 84 mW is considered to be the best setting for maximum power with minimum noise, default is 71
    Wireless-->Advanced Settings-->Tx power

You can even overclock the router with dd-wrt (not really necessary unless You have a really big network with lots of clients)
    Administration-->Management-->Overclock

hmmm..interesting...

i have a different setting in for
    Tx Power: 20dBm
    Antenna gain 0dBi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

i have a different setting in for
    Tx Power: 20dBm
    Antenna gain 0dBi

Just be careful when turning up the transmit power on the router. Wireless is a 2-way conversation between the router and the client device. Turning up the power on the router end just means that the router is shouting louder. The client end will show a "stronger" signal but it won't necessarily result in better commmunication - in fact in can make things worse. So in DD-WRT, keep an eye also on the router's perceived signal levels from the clients in the Status > Wireless section.

bhickey wrote: »
    Just be careful when turning up the transmit power on the router. Wireless is a 2-way conversation between the router and the client device. Turning up the power on the router end just means that the router is shouting louder. The client end will show a "stronger" signal but it won't necessarily result in better commmunication - in fact in can make things worse. So in DD-WRT, keep an eye also on the router's perceived signal levels from the clients in the Status > Wireless section.

Is the the Wireless Packet Info section?
    If so, im reading:
    Received (Rx) 100%
    Transmitted (Tx) 100%

I assume this is good.

Is the the Wireless Packet Info section

No, one of the Status screens will show you the signal strength seen by the router for each attached client.

• Advertisement

No, one of the Status screens will show you the signal strength seen by the router for each attached client.

Oh ya...found it

Any idea How i add the clients name in there?
    Only my PC and iphone are named for some reason.

Any idea How i add the clients name in there?
    Only my PC and iphone are named for some reason.

I'm not sure. I think you might be able to do that via static IP's if the DD-WRT is the DHCP server. Maybe see if the Cisco has an option to give static IP hosts a name and then the DD-WRT router might figure it out.

I'm not sure. I think you might be able to do that via static IP's if the DD-WRT is the DHCP server. Maybe see if the Cisco has an option to give static IP hosts a name and then the DD-WRT router might figure it out.

Cool..thanks.

I must say though, DD-WRT has some amount of adjustable settings :cool:

I flashed with the web GUI and the img file but didn't update afterwards with the Bin file as a lot of 3700's are semi bricking after this.

So far so good. I've a lot of learning to do with this firmware and I kind of wondered if I made a mistake installing it but I must admit, I'm liking it.

Advertisement