Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House plan portfolios online

• 25-09-2010 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Hi there, I'm under real pressure to get my revised plans in and the ideas i saw on this site have been a great start in trying to change my plans.

http://www.sitesolutions.ie/

Has anyone come across any other good websites with modern irish one-off houses in their portfolios online. Just want to see a few more for a bit of inspiration and i like the style of a few of these houses. There is a link to the portfolio on youtube.

Another I've come across is

http://www.mmh.ie/

I find a lot of the sites have little quality in the online portfolio and i am desperate for ideas for my site which is a one off rural house in a sensitive site. The planner wants the front elevation broken up hence my difficulty finding suitable plans which will not cost a fortune to build. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

This may seem like a silly question, but do you have an Architect? and what do they think about the situation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

my site which is a one off rural house in a sensitive site. The planner wants the front elevation broken up hence my difficulty finding suitable plans which will not cost a fortune to build.

The site should be the most important factor to dictate the design, followed by your lifestyle needs / desires & your budget.

The solution to the need for the "front elevation broken up" is unlikely to be found on this type of site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,506 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Do you not see the contradiction in looking for plans online for a one-off house.

Copy and paste houses are probably the single bigges contributor to bad domestic design and planning in Ieland.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭liamolaighin

Sorry I should have been clearer, I am just looking for ideas. I know what style of house I am going to be building, I simply wanted to see as many variations as possible before submitting. Ive been through everything at this stage with my planner and the house design has been done with the site in mind.

But sometimes you come across things like windows, doors, landscape ideas that you feel might suit your own design and before I submit my final draft I just wanted to have had the opportunity to see as many designs as possible to satisfy my own taste.

The design I have is original, not copy-pasted, and it will suit the site. I find some websites better than others in providing new ideas or variations, after all im not an architect but i enjoy having a creative input. So if you have come across any good sites, please let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭who what when

Mellor wrote: »
    Do you not see the contradiction in looking for plans online for a one-off house.

Copy and paste houses are probably the single bigges contributor to bad domestic design and planning in Ieland.

This statement should probably go further. Its the copy and pasting of bad house designs which are a plight on our country side.
    If someone has seen another house they like and with some adjustment and modification can be adapted to fit in with their own site then i dont see the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,506 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

No. i know exactly what I meant.
    A good design, even a great the design, on a paticular site.
    might be very very good at all if it was transfered to another.
    Aspect, vistas, materials, levels, these are all site specific, no amount of adaption with make a house plan fit to an unsuited site. (or to make it fit, you'll need so much alteration that its totally different)

Obviously, a good design could carry over to a similar site.

OP, glad you provided clarification re: idea.
    I can't think of any links right now, but I'll pot if I do, other can fire away too I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

Throw up what plans you have there Liam and give us a look ... ;)
    You might get some decent feedback on suggested changes etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭beyondpassive

Advertisement