Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subway

Options
  • 25-09-2010 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭

Was in my local Subway yesterday for a change. Haven't been in there in years. Literally. Can't remember why i stopped going?

Anyway got myself a foot long cheese & herb roll with steak, bacon, grilled cheese, lettuce & mayo. God damn it was tasty i must admit, feckin delicious actually, probably the best sandwich/roll type thing ive had in a long time. The last roll i got was in a petrol station & you could have driven nails into wood with it. It was that cuisine de France crap.

They're a bit expensive though, think it was 7.50e. Thats kind of cheeky for a piece of bread with a bit of meat & cheese in it. Tasty grub all the same.

Whats the general opinion on them? You like/no like?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

Was in my local Subway yesterday for a change. Haven't been in there in years. Literally. Can't remember why i stopped going?

They're a bit expensive though, think it was 7.50e. Thats kind of cheeky for a piece of bread with a bit of meat & cheese in it. Tasty grub all the same.

Whats the general opinion on them? You like/no like?
    Could the reason you stopped going there be similar to mine?....... apparently they use a hell of a lot of salt in their foods,they're delicious but pricey for a poxy bit of bread with a bit of meat as you say...
    must be 4 years since i was in one..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

used to go all the time but the cost is shocking :eek: I mean €6 odd for a ft long with processed meats is bad value imo. Still the odd one with a nice can of coke is still soooooo good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Meatball marinara for me! Also haven't been there in ages as I'm trying to diet.

I also find some of their staff a bit rude (in some outlets).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

used to go all the time but the cost is shocking :eek: I mean €6 odd for a ft long with processed meats is bad value imo. Still the odd one with a nice can of coke is still soooooo good

I always go for the steak filling. Steak is steak. The chicken & turkey stuff is rubbish. My ft long was 7.50. they charged extra for the bacon.:rolleyes: Bit miserable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I love Subway, but it is very expensive :(. The 6" isn't too bad, it's filling enough, but they can fúck off if they think I'm paying nearly €7 for a foot-long. In the States, it was about $5 for a footlong from what I can remember.

• Advertisement

Faith wrote: »
    I love Subway, but it is very expensive :(. The 6" isn't too bad, it's filling enough, but they can fúck off if they think I'm paying nearly €7 for a foot-long. In the States, it was about $5 for a footlong from what I can remember.

when i was in australia for a year all the fast food places were cheaper than here. A ft long in subway was about $8 (5.75e). About the same for large meals in mc donalds & BK (hungry jacks).
    A large dominos pizza was $12 (7.50e), i think there about 14 euro here.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

To be honest, subway smells far more wonderful than it actually tastes. In fact, most of the times it tastes of nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

I always go for the steak filling. Steak is steak. The chicken & turkey stuff is rubbish. My ft long was 7.50. they charged extra for the bacon.:rolleyes: Bit miserable.

Steak is steak - eh sorry no its not, spend some time in argentina and you'll know what I mean. Subway "steak" is processed & pretty crap - i wonder what cut of the cow it is

Steak is steak - eh sorry no its not, spend some time in argentina and you'll know what I mean. Subway "steak" is processed & pretty crap - i wonder what cut of the cow it is

I live in Ireland not Argentina & i don't want to travel half way round the world to taste processed burger meat.. The steak in subway in ireland is steak. (no such thing as processed steak. Its either steak or processed meat.)

When i was in there a few days ago i asked your one was it actual steak meat. She looked at me shocked that a customer was actually curious to know what he was about to eat. Imagine that?..the cheek!:rolleyes:

She assured me it was steak. And i'd know the difference myself straight away as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Faith wrote: »
    I love Subway, but it is very expensive
    I got a flyer in the door from them, doing a delivery service from loughlinstown and it had some good deals from what I remember. I think it was for 2 people (or one hungry one!), and another deal for even more people. You could upgrade to footlongs for a reasonable price.

But somebody went & threw it out and I can't remember them, their site doesn't show prices.

First one I clicked on was this though

http://subway.ie/menu/subs/classic/steak-cheese.aspx
    INGREDIENTS

Love me tender. Succulent strips of mouth-watering steak*, onions, green peppers & melted cheese.

*Formed meat made with shaved steak strips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,426 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

when i was in australia for a year all the fast food places were cheaper than here. A ft long in subway was about $8 (5.75e). About the same for large meals in mc donalds & BK (hungry jacks).
    A large dominos pizza was $12 (7.50e), i think there about 14 euro here.:rolleyes:
    Even cheaper than that

Subway starts at $7 for a footlong.

Dominos start at $7.95
    I live in Ireland not Argentina & i don't want to travel half way round the world to taste processed burger meat.. The steak in subway in ireland is steak. (no such thing as processed steak. Its either steak or processed meat.)

When i was in there a few days ago i asked your one was it actual steak meat. She looked at me shocked that a customer was actually curious to know what he was about to eat. Imagine that?..the cheek!:rolleyes:

She assured me it was steak. And i'd know the difference myself straight away as well.
    It is processed.
    It's not a cut of meat.
    Its about as much steak as the chicken is chicken breast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Aw christ I love subway,but rarely get it because of the price. I can get a footlong chicken fillet roll,bag of Tayto and bottle of Lucozade for 3.99 (2 salads in the roll) around the corner from it. Hmmm..I wonder what's better value?

My ideal one though has to be:
    Footlong Meatball Marinara on Hearty Italian bread not toasted(the meatballs get too hot) with spicy cheese,bacon,sweetcorn,tomato and southwest sauce.

Oh yesssssssssssssssss!

Mellor wrote: »
    Even cheaper than that

Subway starts at $7 for a footlong.

Dominos start at $7.95

Hey give me a break it was 2003 when i was over there.:rolleyes:

Thats a good few years ago so my guess wasn't bad.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Dominos, you have to wait.

Subway, less wait. Also, there's a Subway on Westmoreland Street, next to the 66n. Great after a few drinks :cool:

ah, I know, was just highlighting how much cheaper it is here.

Sadly, I rarely eat either. If I do its a subway salad

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭yogalady

The subway beside where i work ( upper william street limerick) have any footlong any time 5euro. Worth a visit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Dante

Subway beside Trinity on Merrian Square is €4 footlongs after 4pm with a free drink. Bargain and a half.

I love the way subway have people brainwashed into thinking that offering normal prices at certain times is a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

I love the way subway have people brainwashed into thinking that offering normal prices at certain times is a bargain.

But it is a bargain in comparison with what it was, surely it's not a normal price if it's cheaper than usual!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

I worked in a Subway down the country for a couple of summers, and having worked there I am always shocked by how low quality the Subways in Dublin tend to be. The shops are often dirty, heated subs are often still cold because they haven't been left in the toaster for long enough, and the staff can be quite rude (well not rude so much as clinically depressed in my experience). There are a few (probably plenty) exceptions to that though.

I still go there though, it's expensive but so damn tasty. If there's no special offer on I'll really only ever get the sub of the day (especially on Mondays, chicken tikka!).

PS, the most annoying thing in the world is when customers come in, spend ten minutes looking at the big lit up menu (with prices on it), go through the whole process of ordering their roll and then react with indignation at the till when they hear how much they have to pay.

• Advertisement

S.R.F.C. wrote: »
    But it is a bargain in comparison with what it was, surely it's not a normal price if it's cheaper than usual!

lol not really considering they set both prices.

consider "john's rolls" around the corner, roll and a can costs 4 euro.
    Then he puts the price up to 6 euro, but its on special at 4 euro week days 12-4pm. nots its a bargain.

That's what subway do. they charge over the odds in ireland cos they get away with it. they are far cheaper everywhere else.
    I'm not saying its just them, all fast food franchises really.

lol not really considering they set both prices.

consider "john's rolls" around the corner, roll and a can costs 4 euro.
    Then he puts the price up to 6 euro, but its on special at 4 euro week days 12-4pm. nots its a bargain.

That's what subway do. they charge over the odds in ireland cos they get away with it. they are far cheaper everywhere else.
    All everything really. In case you haven't noticed, Ireland is an expensive place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Was in London during the summer, Dominoes there would RAPE you, seriously the meal deal I get here is about 23, they charge 25 POUNDS:eek:
    Baxtards!!!!!

I go to Subway on a Sunday only, spicy Italian in Hearty Italian bread!!!!! €2.99 as Sub of the day! Better than the €4something they usually charge!

It is overpriced though. As my ex calls it, the McDonalds of Sandwiches.

But oh so tasty!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Agreed, but like Mickie Dee's and Spar, it's usually the same layout anywhere, be it Dublin, Belfast, or Galway.

Sure, it'd be cheaper buying it in a shop, and making it yourself, but away from home, Subway is good. I know subways rules and I like their standards - I've gotten food poisoning from other places that sells subs, as other sub places tend to be sub-standard :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I do love their Southwest Sauce. Tried making it from a recipe online but failed miserably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭dicey1664

once the sub is dripping in southwest sauce its all good:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,310 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

It says on the Subway website that the steak is made from formed meat. It's defintely not steak!
    Sectioned and formed meat products are restructured meat products, such as multi-part turkey breasts or cooked hams. They are prepared from chunks or pieces of meat and are bonded together to form a single piece. The substances that bind these together are non-meat additives, meat emulsions and extracted myofibrillar proteins.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Subway beside Trinity on Merrian Square is €4 footlongs after 4pm with a free drink. Bargain and a half.

Is this offer still on? May have to run in there sometime this week if it is :D

I love Subway, the veggie patty is lovely and the bread is really nice too. But I agree, it is expensive so I can't afford to go there regularly, the prices are ridiculously high. I did once get a free 6" sub because I collected enough points on my Subcard (this was over the space of a good few months), that was a good day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

How can you pay 6 or 7 euro for such sh1te quality grub? I mean really, reformed meat is for cat food not humans.

Add to that the plastic cheese and salty bread and I just don't get why its so popular?

• Advertisement

Mr.David wrote: »
    How can you pay 6 or 7 euro for such sh1te quality grub? I mean really, reformed meat is for cat food not humans.

Add to that the plastic cheese and salty bread and I just don't get why its so popular?
    It tastes good?

Advertisement