Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fenugeek leaves/seeds advice

Options
  • 25-09-2010 2:42pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm cooking a tikka masala tonight. The recipe calls for 3tblspns of fenugeek leaves but I can't get any. Is there anything I can do with fenugeek seeds to compensate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Not really, because they don't taste the same. The Indian name for Fenugreek leaves is 'methi' - you might find it sold under that name. They add an almost musty taste to a curry - you could try curry leaves instead, or just do without - if your recipe has coriander leaves in it they usually add a touch of authenticity to the taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I don't think there is much difference in flavour between the leaves and seeds - the flavour is the same - the strength of flavour is more concentrated in the seeds, so only use a small amount. like a 1/2 tsp or less.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I decided to leave it out after advice from a couple of parties. The dish was still savage without them. Thanks for the opinions.

Advertisement