Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lisieux

• 25-09-2010 3:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭

I'm presently enjoying a get out of Ireland break in Lisieux.
    It's a beautiful provincial town in Normandy and my first time exploring this part of France.

It's famous because a certain family lived here for a short while 100 years ago.

I am curious if any of our christian brethren have any knowledge of it ( the family were RC) and comments are welcome. and that invite includes you A&A guys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

I'm presently enjoying a get out of Ireland break in Lisieux.
    It's a beautiful provincial town in Normandy and my first time exploring this part of France.

It's famous because a certain family lived here for a short while 100 years ago.

I am curious if any of our christian brethren have any knowledge of it ( the family were RC) and comments are welcome. and that invite includes you A&A guys.

Thérèse of Lisieux is without a doubt one of the most fascinating figures in the church. As a Child she wanted to be a nun, since we was too young she was not allowed to enter... What did she do? she went to Rome and asked the Pope in person if she could enter the convent.

Read
    Story of a Soul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

Alex....... no catholics please...:D

seriously I want commentary from our brothers and sisters in the Faith. We really are all in this together, so tell us what you think please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Kilgallon

St. Therese and her parents, Blessed Louis and Zelie Martin, are remarkable figures. I envy you the chance to be at Lisieux while her feast-day celebrations begin this weekend. For more text, photos, and films about them, please visit my Web site, "Saint Therese of Lisieux: A Gateway" at http://thereseoflisieux.org Have a wonderful visit!

Thanks for the link. Had a quick glance at it. Looks good. Too busy doing the real thing right now but will get back to it again. Welcome to boards.ie and all the way from America too! Don't be a stranger now. You will like this site.:)

How St. Therese saved a murderer and inspired Mother Teresa

October 1, The Feast of St. Teresa of the Child Jesus
    St+Therese+as+a+child.JPG
    The following took place in 1887, when Thérèse Martin was fourteen years old.
    “One Sunday when I was looking at a picture of Our Lord on the Cross, I saw the Blood coming from one of His hands, and I felt terribly sad to think that It was falling to the earth and that no one was rushing forward to catch It. I determined to stay continually at the foot of the Cross and receive It. I knew that I should then have to spread It among other souls. The cry of Jesus on the Cross – ‘I am thirsty’ – rang continually in my heart and set me burning with a new, intense longing. I wanted to quench the thirst of my Well-Beloved and I myself was consumed with a thirst for souls. I was concerned not with the souls of priests but with those of great sinners which I wanted to snatch from the flames of hell.

“God showed me He was pleased with these longings of mine. I’d heard of a criminal who had just been condemned to death for some frightful murders. It seemed that he would die without repenting. I was determined at all costs to same him from hell. I used every means I could. I knew that by myself I could do nothing, so I offered God the infinite merits of Our Lord and the treasures of the Church. I was quite certain that my prayers would be answered, but to give me courage to go on praying for sinners I said to God: ‘I am sure You will forgive this wretched Pranzini. I shall believe You have done so even if he does not confess or give any other sign of repentance, for I have compete faith in the infinite mercy of Jesus. But I ask You for just one sign of his repentance to encourage me.’
    “This prayer was answered. Daddy never allowed us to read any newspapers, but I thought I was justified in looking at the stories about Pranzini. On the day after his execution I eagerly opened La Croix and I had to rush away to hide my tears at what I read. Pranzini had mounted the scaffold without confessing and was ready to thrust his head beneath the guillotine’s blade when he suddenly turned, seized the crucifix offered him by the priest, and thrice kissed the Sacred Wounds.
    i-thirst2.jpg?w=500&h=329
    “I had been given my sign, and it was typical of the graces Jesus has given me to make me eager to pray for sinners. It was at the sight of the Precious Blood flowing from the Wounds of Jesus that my thirst for souls had been born. I wanted to let them drink of this Immaculate Blood to cleanse them of their sins and the lips of my ‘first child’ had pressed against the Sacred Wounds! What a wonderful reply to my prayers! After this striking favour my longing for souls grew greater every day. I seemed to hear Jesus say to me what He said to the Samaritan Woman: ‘Give me to drink.’ It was a real exchange of love: I gave souls the Blood of Jesus and offered Him these purified souls that His thirst might be quenched. The more I gave Him to drink, the more the thirst of my own poor soul increased, and He gave me this burning thirst to show His love for me.” (From early in chapter 5 of Story of a Soul)
    page1.jpg&t=1

“Until you know deep inside that Jesus thirsts for you – you can’t begin to know who He wants to be for you. Or who He wants you to be for Him.” (Mother Teresa)

• Advertisement

ok maybe not as brief as I intended but the pics came with the quote.

I have a question, was Therese a Christian and was she following Jesus "properly"?

I would be genuinely interested in the opinions of non RCCs on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

ok maybe not as brief as I intended but the pics came with the quote.

I have a question, was Therese a Christian and was she following Jesus "properly"?

I would be genuinely interested in the opinions of non RCCs on this.

Without the light of faith its hard to understand her life.. I also would like to know none rc views on her. i think her life in its simplicity is the bright light of the church

Advertisement