Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 119 Discussion **SPOILERS**

13»

Comments

unknown13 wrote: »
    Why didn't Lytle / Serra get rewarded for their fight. It was better than Sherk and Dunham

I agree with that too. Although the decision on Sherk-Dunham put a dampner on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,924 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

WOW. Mir really needed to finish that fight sooner. I know Cro Cop can be dangerous i'm sick of him not taking his oponents down and finishing them. BS at the end where he said he was trying to take him down the whole time. He got really lucky with that knee. I wanted to see him back in the title mix after this fight but watching that performance, I def think Big Nog should get another go.

Bader and nog decision was a bit harsh but beaming Bader won! Now, off to watch the rest of the fights!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Awful main event. Frank Mir or Crocop should never be allowed near a title fight for that ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭conor678

Thought it was a really poor event in total with only 2 good fights (Mittrione and Beltran & Sherk Dunham). Main event was poor and Frank did his credibility no good by beating round the bush with Cro Cop. He should have finished him as quickly as possibly.

An interesting point I felt about the Bader fight was the point scoring emphasis put on take downs. I feel that take downs that are not controlled and the opposing fighter springs back up should not be scored heavily and credit should be given to an opposing fighter for stopping and preventing take downs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Cro Cop has been living off his reputation for too long now. His fights the past year or so have been dire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Pretty poor stuff. Serra let me down for my accum. Mir was just as much to blame for that being a poor fight as Mirko. Just hugged him against the cage doing nothing for most of the fight. Best fights imo were in the prelims. The Matrione fight and CB Dollaway fight were great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

CB's sub is a contender for Sub of the Year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Cro Cop has been living off his reputation for too long now. His fights the past year or so have been dire.

Just the past year??

The CroCop we all knew and loved died on April 21st 2007 in Manchester, he's never been the same since that brutal Gabe Knockout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Wasn't Overeem giving him a beatdown before the Groin shot happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Thats the worst card ive seen in a while. The only decent fight was the Dunham v sherk one. In which Dunham got robbed..

Serra is a warrior but did not fight to the best of his abilities last night.

Mirko/Mir was depressing.

Hopefully 120 will be better than this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Poor card....

Had a €5 @ 30/1 on no fights being finished by KO/TKO...... damm Mir and his knee in the last minute!

S.

unlucky, what bookies offer that bet? I've not seen it before. Lot of fights now (on paper) could go the distance so it could be one to look out for in future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Wait and see 120 will get the bashed by the fans and then turn out to be one of the best events of the year. 121 will get all the hype since it is a week later aswell.

Last nights card was great potential card, it just didn't happen.
    120 will still be poor imo.

And, of course KOotN wasn't awarded, there was ont knockout, and it very sloppy. Mir even said so after the fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Screaming Monkey

the Mir/Mirko fight was dire, the watson/reid fight had more heart..

Dunham was robbed i thought, and when 'goldie' shouted his trademark "its all over" before sherk tapped and then had to backtrack was funny..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Interview with Mirko from Fighters Only
    News
    Back to News Index
    27/09/10 - CroCop "sorry like a dog" for Mir loss

Mirko ‘CroCop’ Filipovic has already returned to Croatia, where he met with reporters at Zagreb airport and expressed disappointment that he was knocked out by Frank Mir with just over a minute left in their fight.

"I'm sorry like a dog! I could eat myself alive! I can only congratulate Mir, he really caught me with that knee. But taking all circumstances in to consideration I think I did a pretty decent job. Its too bad because there was only a minute left to go [when I was stopped]. I had him against the fence and that was my chance," he told Croatian news portal Index.hr

"The deal with my coach was not to go in any hard exchanges until the third round because I thought I was not as prepared as him. But it turned out that I was more prepared than him. I felt more powerful than him in the third and I went after him aggressively. Too bad I caught that knee, but that's what this sport is about. I want to thank everybody for their support and apologize to the ones I've disappointed."

Filipovic also detailed a conversation that he and Mir had when clinched against the fence in the third round, the content of which was immediately the subject of much speculation. He says the exchange went like this:

CroCop: Let me go, lets go to the centre and fight
    Mir: Let's go to the mat
    CroCop: OK - if I'm on top
    Mir: We'll stay in the clinch

Filipovic said he wasn’t unhappy with Mir’s answer as it allowed him to stay where he was not threatened, and work his knees. Questions about his future are inevitable but he has already indicated that he will take the rest of the year off and then probably take one or two more fights with the UFC.

Least the conversation is explained :pac:

I really have no interest in seeing Mirko fight again. It's like looking at a band on stage who have no original members left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭TheProdigy

I really have no interest in seeing Mirko fight again. It's like looking at a band on stage who have no original members left.

And who are extremely shít.

No disrespect to Mirko but he has been scared to fight the last 3 years, he found a way out against Dos Santos when he didn't like his punches and he is very very timid in the exchanges.

That fight the other night was pathetic, and frankly for MIrko to say he was doing alright until the KO is embarrassing, not once did he offer any danger or solid attack. Mir also needs to take a look at himself to see his ambition because he won't come close to any top 5 fighter with a performance like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

just watching the fights now as I was away, I thought Dunham was robbed of that fight, i think he lost the first but definitely won the last 2.

Serra let me down on my one accumulator I done before I went away :(

CroCop: Let me go, lets go to the centre and fight
    Mir: Let's go to the mat
    CroCop: OK - if I'm on top
    Mir: We'll stay in the clinch

HAHAHAHA thats classic! Wondering what they were saying alright. Crap to hear Mir talking pre fight how he has worked on his wrestling then to say he needs to work on his wrestling after the fight. He is always saying he needs to work on something.

One of the lads put 15 euro on Mir winning by tko/ko in the 3rd round! Won 115 euro jammy bastard!

sheehy83 wrote: »
    One of the lads put 15 euro on Mir winning by tko/ko in the 3rd round! Won 115 euro jammy bastard!

where can you bet on the type of victory and round combined, I don't think I have ever seen it. I know you can round bet and bet on the type of victory seperately.

• Advertisement

sonic.trip wrote: »
    where can you bet on the type of victory and round combined, I don't think I have ever seen it. I know you can round bet and bet on the type of victory.

He said he placed the bet in Paddy Powers

Dana speaks on Mir's performance:

MMAMania.com reports that during the interview with ESPN, White had the following to say on Mir’s conservative approach to the fight with Mirko Cro Cop.

“I have no clue about Frank. To talk the stuff he does, and then fight like he fought, that’s a little frustrating. Once “Cro Cop” stuffed his takedown attempt, his heart fell out on the floor. If Frank Mir can’t bully you, his heart shrinks to the size of the Grinch’s. If he can’t take you down, his heart shrinks to the size of a pea."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Cro Cop hasn't been the same since Gaberiel Gonzaga took his head kick ability from him :pac:.
    Since that happened over 3 years ago, Mirko hasn't has a head kick KO

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Hoeballs

just my opinion but i think it was the worse ufc in a long time, but then if the main event is poor it kinda puts a downer on the whole show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

That was a rough event.

I was so amped up as I thought the Spike PreLims were brilliant. Loved watching Dollaways fight and the Mitrione fight was pretty entertaining. The Tavares submission was a spectacle and the McCorckle fight was good too.

But then the main card was just muck. Sick of watching Mir trashtalk to the heavens and then put on boring fights. The rest of the card was just awful too, watching every fight carefully slog onto a decision. Cro Cop is clearly never going to be the fighter he was, and Mir is perpetually stuck in that hole below the top three or four guys. The Nog-Bader fight had so much potential but it was pretty flat in the end.

Having watched the awesome prelims, I'd be so p!ssed if I had to pay for the main card.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    He said he placed the bet in Paddy Powers

cheers man, don't think i've noticed it before but will look out for it in future!

• Advertisement

Hoeballs wrote: »
    just my opinion but i think it was the worse ufc in a long time, but then if the main event is poor it kinda puts a downer on the whole show

really? thought there was some great fights in that card, sherk and dunham, mittrione and beltran.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭TheTMO

I'd actually blame Mir for that fight more than Crocop. Fine if Mir doesn't want to stand with Crocop but to stand him up against the cage for almost 3 rounds when he couldn't get the take down was beyond pathetic. Obviously Crocop was poor in not being able to get out but Mir was the one who simply didn't want to fight.

At least Crocop proved that he is almost impossible to take down and submit. What did Mir prove other than his ability to use his newly added bulk to lean on opponents?

Crocop should go down to Light heavyweight or bulk up so he will be able to power out when hes thrown up against the cage. And lets not forget that Crocop had to take this fight on short notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

TheTMO wrote: »
    I
    Crocop should go down to Light heavyweight or bulk up so he will be able to power out when hes thrown up against the cage. And lets not forget that Crocop had to take this fight on short notice.

He should retire imo. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

TheTMO wrote: »
    I'd actually blame Mir for that fight more than Crocop. Fine if Mir doesn't want to stand with Crocop but to stand him up against the cage for almost 3 rounds when he couldn't get the take down was beyond pathetic. Obviously Crocop was poor in not being able to get out but Mir was the one who simply didn't want to fight.

At least Crocop proved that he is almost impossible to take down and submit. What did Mir prove other than his ability to use his newly added bulk to lean on opponents?

Why is it if randy cotoure pins someone against a cage for 3 rounds it's all part of an excellent game plan, yet if mir does it it's the most boring thing ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Pontificatus

CB's sub is a contender for Sub of the Year.

I'm not sure if its even close to Oliveras triangle in terms of quality but it is pretty excellent to watch

0eodb.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Why is it if randy cotoure pins someone against a cage for 3 rounds it's all part of an excellent game plan, yet if mir does it it's the most boring thing ever

While I agree with what you're saying, I can't help but think it wasn't Mir being strategic, but rather him saying: meh, I'm not in the mood to fight.

Advertisement