Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal's Goalkeeper Problem

• 25-09-2010 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

How can Wenger be so oblivious to such an obvious problem? They posted record profits for the last year, Schwarzer would have cost only a couple of million. Those retards they currently have will ensure they will win nothing again this season, so annoying and I don't even support the club.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Should they have signed Given?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Should they have signed Given?

We have never been interested in him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Schwarzer aint great, why not go after a top class keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Schwarzer isn't and never was the answer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

In fairness Arsenal could afford a top keeper if they wanted, the blame lies with Wenger on this one, absolutely should have not started the season with Almunia and Fabianksi (worst prem GK ever?).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

FearDark wrote: »
    In fairness Arsenal could afford a top keeper if they wanted, the blame lies with Wenger on this one, absolutely should have not started the season with Almunia and Fabianksi (worst prem GK ever?).

I think Taibi might challenge that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Schwarzer would have been a decent short term solution. He's not amazing but look at the alternatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Almunia cost us 2 goals today - and Fabianski just isn't cut out for the top level (or maybe any level).

But in fairness, the club did seem to be trying to bring in a keeper all summer, as far as anyone from outside can tell. There aren't that many great keepers out there, and none of them moved this year so what can you do?

People treat transfers like they'll inevitably come off if you want them enough but that's simply not the case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

mars bar wrote: »
    I think Taibi might challenge that...

Yeah but when Taibi was found out his manager didnt keep giving him games and backing him when it was clear to all he was shíte, unlike Almunia or Flapianski, the only thing for wenger to do is promote Schezney or Mannone and give them a run, the other two fúckwits have had their chance, several chances and its time for them to step aside, they are both rubbish.

JPA wrote: »
    Schwarzer would have been a decent short term solution. He's not amazing but look at the alternatives.
    Didn't he cost Fulham a goal in his first match back?

Reina has cost Liverpool/Argentina 2 goals so far this season by my count, Joe Hart cost City a goal at Blackburn, Stekelenburg had a dodgy moment for Ajax against Feyenoord that cost them a goal.

Unless someone can make the case that Arsenal specifically missed out on signing a really good keeper, I'm not sure there's a thread in this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Arsenal can't get Given. City would be mad to sell or loan him to a direct competitor. Schwarzer would be decent but knowing Fulham they're probably looking for silly money and perhaps didn't want to sell without a replacement lined up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Should of been dropped a long time ago, one of the biggest aspects of a keepers game is confidence and he clearly has been suffering from a lack of for a long time now.
    I think Wenger is doing him no favors by leaving him in the side.
    Arsenals defense didn't do him any favors today either, especially for the last goal.
    God only knows why Wenger didn't sign Given or someone, he is a pigheaded man.

God only knows why Wenger didn't sign Given or someone, he is a pigheaded man.
    You can't just say that though. This isn't Fantasy Manager.

Nobody knows for sure but it seems certain that City didn't want him going to Arsenal, if Arsenal were even interested. He's not necessarily the type of keeper we need. Schwarzer might have come but Fulham's back-up keeper got an injury the day before the window closed - what do you want him to do?

yahoo_moe wrote: »

Reina has cost Liverpool/Argentina 2 goals so far this season by my count, Joe Hart cost City a goal at Blackburn, Stekelenburg had a dodgy moment for Ajax against Feyenoord that cost them a goal.

Unless someone can make the case that Arsenal specifically missed out on signing a really good keeper, I'm not sure there's a thread in this.

Most keepers make mistakes from time to time, the difference is the Arsenal keepers frequently make mistakes. Wenger should have been flat out for 3 months looking for a keeper. Schwarzer would have improved Arsenal, simple as. IMO.

You can't just say that though. This isn't Fantasy Manager.

Nobody knows for sure but it seems certain that City didn't want him going to Arsenal, if Arsenal were even interested. He's not necessarily the type of keeper we need. Schwarzer might have come but Fulham's back-up keeper got an injury the day before the window closed - what do you want him to do?

Really, and there was me thinking you can sign anyone you want.
    You do realize that Given could of been lured away from Newcastle before he went to Man City.
    I also said 'Given or someone', there are obviously other choices out there.
    I am not sure on what type of keeper you need as you say, I know keepers have different styles but should it not come down to good or bad, Almunia is clearly leaning towards the bad and for arguments sake, lets say Given is leaning towards good. Given has been consistently good throughout his career.

I commend Wenger for his transfers and how he handles the finances but a decent consistent reliable keeper is a must for a team of Arsenals level.

Really, and there was me thinking you can sign anyone you want.
    You do realize that Given could of been lured away from Newcastle before he went to Man City.
    I also said 'Given or someone', there are obviously other choices out there.
    I am not sure on what type of keeper you need as you say, I know keepers have different styles but should it not come down to good or bad, Almunia is clearly leaning towards the bad and for arguments sake, lets say Given is leaning towards good. Given has been consistently good throughout his career.

I commend Wenger for his transfers and how he handles the finances but a decent consistent reliable keeper is a must for a team of Arsenals level.

Yes Given would be better than Almunia, but he is not as good as people make him out to be, thats the Irish connection I suppose, Arsene has never been interested in him, I think Arsenal also have to look at the back line also. I think we will get a new keeper but have a feeling we will have to wait until the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

It's laughable to be honest, my only hope is that a January deal for Akinfeev is already wrapped up. Would be typical to wait for a free signing rather than spend money. Almunia has cost us to many goals, we should have signed a top goalie long ago. I don't think the money was available until this summer, why he chose not to strengthen, I'll never know! Oh and for a team of midgets, Given simply isn't the answer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Yes but Reina also made up for it with some great saves against Arsenal and in a couple of other games. Joe Hart was awesome in the opening game against Tottenham and in a couple of other games. Almunia has never made a great save and never will. I might forgive him if he was a great shot stopper.

The other goalkeepers could also say their mistakes are rare, but Almunia has already had two terrible performances in 6 league games after this and Bolton, and he's been at fault for a couple of other goals as well.

Time to give Mannone or Szczęsny a chance.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Yes Given would be better than Almunia, but he is not as good as people make him out to be, thats the Irish connection I suppose, Arsene has never been interested in him, I think Arsenal also have to look at the back line also. I think we will get a new keeper but have a feeling we will have to wait until the summer.

That may be true but it is all just opinions and I would rate him highly in my opinion.
    I just don't know why Wenger has kept on waiting, for a club like Arsenal it is all about the now.

That may be true but it is all just opinions and I would rate him highly in my opinion.
    I just don't know why Wenger has kept on waiting, for a club like Arsenal it is all about the now.

No you are right, I do agree Given would be a big improvement, I really can't explain why we have not gone for a keeper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Almunia is one of the worst keepers in the League. Some teams have better sub keepers than him eg Given and Cudicini. Simply awful keeper for a Top 4 side. Arsenal will win nothing with him in goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

From what I saw last season of Mannone, and I didn't see a whole lot, he looked fairly decent.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Pletikosa was available. Why did Arsenal not rate him enough to give him a go?

Pletikosa was available. Why did Arsenal not rate him enough to give him a go?

Do you rate him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

It's a fúcking joke and a thread like this was inevitable. Almunia was always going to cost Arsenal points and why he wasn't replaced during the summer is beyond me. Absolutely huge mistake on Wenger's part and he has to take 100% of the blame for any points dropped due to keeping errors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Stupid blaming the keeper after a performance like that. From what I've seen Arsenal are far too dependant on one man and it showed yet again today. It used to be Henry now it's Cesc. Ye shouldn't have had to rely on Almunia today, shít as he is, ye're defence, midfield and attack should have had too much for a yo-yo side playing away from home. If I was an Arsenal fan I'd be more worried about who Arsene is gonna bring in after Fab leaves, and the evidence suggests it's no one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

THFC wrote: »
    Stupid blaming the keeper after a performance like that. From what I've seen Arsenal are far too dependant on one man and it showed yet again today. It used to be Henry now it's Cesc. Ye shouldn't have had to rely on Almunia today, shít as he is, ye're defence, midfield and attack should have had too much for a yo-yo side playing away from home. If I was an Arsenal fan I'd be more worried about who Arsene is gonna bring in after Fab leaves, and the evidence suggests it's no one.
    I don't agree with this.

I think Diaby does a great job when Fabregas is out and they still play very well. If both are missing its a problem for sure but its just unfortunate for them that both are out at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

A team should always be able to rely on their keeper to catch a ball and make the simple saves, no matter how awful the rest of the team's performance may or may not be.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I don't agree with this.

I think Diaby does a great job when Fabregas is out and they still play very well. If both are missing its a problem for sure but its just unfortunate for them that both are out at the same time.

Diaby was playing today.

• Advertisement

We don't need to bring in anyone for him, Ramsey and Jack imo

Jack defo, I'm always worried by players coming back from such serious injuries though. I can't think of any Arsenal player (or any other team's for that matter) that came back from an injury like that and regained form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Papa Smut wrote: »
    Jack defo, I'm always worried by players coming back from such serious injuries though. I can't think of any Arsenal player (or any other team's for that matter) that came back from an injury like that and regained form.

Them Welsh are a different beast though....Tom Jones,Zeta Jones,Bassey,Giggs,Richard Burton.....every one of them punched way above their weight and never got found out.....Ramsey will be 10 Fabregas'.....the lad will be immense......because he knows nothing else.

Exclude Vinny Jones from hypothesis.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

L'prof wrote: »
    Do you rate him?

Always have. He's been very good any time I've seen him for Croatia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

OPENROAD wrote: »

He is a top class keeper and if he was English they wouldnt have had a problem for the last 8 years and the tabloids would be comparing him to Banks. The fact that he is Irish has seen him go under rated. The same goes for the likes of McGrath,Keane ,Duff, John O Shea etc.

Always have. He's been very good any time I've seen him for Croatia.

I haven't seen enough of him to comment to be perfectly honest, but the fact that Arsenal haven't gone for him doesn't mean Wenger doesn't rate him. It could of course mean he doesn't think he's sufficiently better than Almunia to bother with, or as is with most players, he doesn't see him being worth whatever he'd have to pay to bring him in. Have many top clubs been interested in this guy?

Anyway, regardless of all that, it's plain for everyone to see that we need to bite the bullet and bring in a solid keeper. If that means paying over the odds to do so, then so be it! I would like to see Woj given a chance however. It either bring him back down to Earth and he realises he has a lot of work to do before he's ready to be our number one or he's a revelation. Win, win situation for me there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Thats one thing that Wenger seems to be poor at, getting a good Keeper. Not since Seaman have Arsenal had a good Keeper and Wenger inherited him (please, no silly remarks about Lehman). .

Almunia is obviously not fit enough for the EPL , let alone Arsenal. I would love it if Given went to Arsenal, a club befitting his qualities. Unfortunatley I dont think those bitter Fk's would sell him to Arsenal, so hopefully Given goes off to Italy.

I dont understand Wenger's insistance on sticking with Almunia. There is loyalty and their is blind loyalty ! !

Drumpot wrote: »
    Thats one thing that Wenger seems to be poor at, getting a good Keeper. Not since Seaman have Arsenal had a good Keeper and Wenger inherited him (please, no silly remarks about Lehman). .

Almunia is obviously not fit enough for the EPL , let alone Arsenal. I would love it if Given went to Arsenal, a club befitting his qualities. Unfortunatley I dont think those bitter Fk's would sell him to Arsenal, so hopefully Given goes off to Italy.

I dont understand Wenger's insistance on sticking with Almunia. There is loyalty and their is blind loyalty ! !

Lehmann was a very good keeper. Mad aa a brush, but very good all the same. It's just a pity we couldn't have signed him sooner!

Given would be a step up on Almunia, but as countless other Arsenal fans have already stated, he's probably not the best solution either!

Lehmann was a very good keeper. Mad aa a brush, but very good all the same. It's just a pity we couldn't have signed him sooner!

Given would be a step up on Almunia, but as countless other Arsenal fans have already stated, he's probably not the best solution either!

Lehman was better then Almunia, but not a keeper that an EPL winning team or potential CL winners would be aspiring to have. Thats just IMO.

I always thought GK was the one real weakness of Wenger.

Who would you think (realistically), could Arsenal get ? Doesnt seem to be an awful lot of quality out there ! !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Who would you think (realistically), could Arsenal get ? Doesnt seem to be an awful lot of quality out there ! !

There's the real problem there. I'm sure (or at least I'm hoping) that if a proper goalkeeper was available during the summer then Wenger would have done everything possible to bring him to the club. Schwarzer wasn't really the answer, just an improvement on Almunia. Still should have been signed though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

is Akinfeev still available on a free in January?

• Advertisement

Lehman was better then Almunia, but not a keeper that an EPL winning team or potential CL winners would be aspiring to have. Thats just IMO.

He won an FA Cup and the league in the unbeaten season, it' no coincidence. You need a good goalkeeper to do that. He was twice voted best European goalkeeper, something Buffon & Casillas have only won once. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Realistically? Fuck knows! Like I already said though, Akinfeev is free in January. He'd be mad not to at least try and get him. Most of the top goalkeepers are unattainable, but we could look at Asenjo, de Gea, Adler, Wiese, Neuer & Stekelenburg, some of whom are part of their national set-up. I don't admit to knowing a whole lot about all of these keepers, but some of them are very good and quite highly rated. If Liverpool finish outside the top 4 again, I'd like to see us put in a solid bid for Reina.

is Akinfeev still available on a free in January?

I was under the impression that he was. Haven't heard about him signing a new deal or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

I was under the impression that he was. Haven't heard about him signing a new deal or anything.

he would be a massive step up, there was talk of an arsenal move over the summer but it all died down.

he would be a massive step up, there was talk of an arsenal move over the summer but it all died down.

That would have been the money putting us off I reckon. Same happened with Chamakh,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Thats not a spot on my neck and Arsenal don't need a keeper .

pimple&t=1&usg=AFrqEzetJaY_nw8cHJeUFVprtPtihu37UA

mixednuts wrote: »
    Thats not a spot on my neck and Arsenal don't need a keeper.

A here, I'm hungover!!!

Realistically? Fuck knows! Like I already said though, Akinfeev is free in January. He'd be mad not to at least try and get him. Most of the top goalkeepers are unattainable, but we could look at Asenjo, de Gea, Adler, Wiese, Neuer & Stekelenburg, some of whom are part of their national set-up. I don't admit to knowing a whole lot about all of these keepers, but some of them are very good and quite highly rated. If Liverpool finish outside the top 4 again, I'd like to see us put in a solid bid for Reina.

If Akinfeev is anything like he is in Football Manager you should snap him up! ! ;)

He has looked good when I have seen him. Good shot stopper if I remember correctly! !

I would like to see Arsenal get a good Keeper and established quality at CB, CM and up front. I think they are lacking in experience. Particularly that knack of winning games you play poorly and grind out results (how many times have we said that about them).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

mixednuts wrote: »
    Thats not a spot on my neck and Arsenal don't need a keeper .

pimple&t=1&usg=AFrqEzetJaY_nw8cHJeUFVprtPtihu37UA

Knacker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

The keeper suits the rest of the team - hot and cold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

I can't see Wenger just throwing Szczesny in the side.For a start,he's not even 3rd choice,were anyone to get the nod at this stage it'd be Mannone.
    Also,there's a great risk in putting a keeper as young as Szczesny straight into the pressure cooker atmosphere of Arsenal number 1.The moment people realise he isn't the second coming of Iker Casillas and makes a goalkeeping howler,Wenger will be scrutinised by fans and media alike for playing an inexperienced rookie.
    The blame here lies with Arsene more than Almunia or Fabianski really.The fans knew we had two calamitous keepers,Arsene knew it,but we didn't get anyone in.I wouldn't hold my breath on getting a new keeper in January either.We may aswell just get behind Almunia and hope for the best next summer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement