Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal's Goalkeeper Problem

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

yahoo_moe wrote: »

Reina has cost Liverpool/Argentina 2 goals so far this season by my count,.
    Good news for Spain?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

L'prof wrote: »
    I haven't seen enough of him to comment to be perfectly honest, but the fact that Arsenal haven't gone for him doesn't mean Wenger doesn't rate him. It could of course mean he doesn't think he's sufficiently better than Almunia to bother with, or as is with most players, he doesn't see him being worth whatever he'd have to pay to bring him in. Have many top clubs been interested in this guy?

It depends - do you consider Spurs to be a top club? :pac:

As a loan signing, Arsenal couldn't really have lost out on giving him a try. He's got a good pedigree (and can take a penalty) and loads of experience. I didn't understand why he would want to be third choice at Spurs though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I'd like to see us make a move for Akinfeev in January if he can be obtained on a free, I'm not so sure it will happen though. He seems to have the same problems as Almunia though, great shot stopper but poor decision making and not great under the high ball.

Schwarzer has had a poorer season than Almunia so far and was bigged up way too much purely by being the better of two mediocre goalkeepers.

Not hugely pushed on Given either, he'd be an improvement on Almunia certainly, but not good enough for Arsenal imo. (I know neither is Almunia, but I'd like us to replace him with a top class keeper, which Given isn't)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If people are worried about Given's height then Akinfeev is a no no. AFAIK hes similar in height to Given if not an inch or two smaller, and every inch counts :P

Arsenal's best bet is to go with someone like Asenjo, he got unlucky with Athelico Madrid that when De Gea cam ein he replaced him but A.Madrid have two very promising keepers and might not want to get rid.

Lloris could be an option if Lyon are willing to take a reasonable offer otherwise a move for a free Akinfeev seems to be the best bet.

Or we can give ye Hilario if ye want for free :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

gavredking wrote: »
    If people are worried about Given's height then Akinfeev is a no no. AFAIK hes similar in height to Given if not an inch or two smaller, and every inch counts :P

I'm not worried about his height. What we need is someone who was a good command of there area and can organise a defense into a tight drilled unit. Neither of which Given is brilliant at.

Someone in the mould of Jens who defenders who will be afraid he might kick them in the back of the head if they dont listen to him would be nice.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Lehmann won the league unbeaten and was twice voted European Goalkeeper of the Year (only Schmeichel and Kahn have won it more times than that). He was an outstanding goalkeeper and a snip at the price Wenger got him for.

Wenger's intransigence on the goalkeeper is maddening. I just wish he'd just go **** it, and spent big on someone to sort it out.

Frisbee wrote: »
    I'm not worried about his height. What we need is someone who was a good command of there area and can organise a defense into a tight drilled unit. Neither of which Given is brilliant at.

Someone in the mould of Jens who defenders who will be afraid he might kick them in the back of the head if they dont listen to him would be nice.

Totally agree, I always rated Lehmann, very good goalkeeper and mad as a bag of cats, which I think you need in a keeper.

Maybe Lloris is the best option for Arsenal, he is never afraid of coming for anything and seems to control his defence fairly well, couple that with his young age, 24 iirc.
    Lehmann won the league unbeaten and was twice voted European Goalkeeper of the Year (only Schmeichel and Kahn have won it more times than that). He was an outstanding goalkeeper and a snip at the price Wenger got him for.

Wenger's intransigence on the goalkeeper is maddening. I just wish he'd just go **** it, and spent big on someone to sort it out.

True, Arsenal's main problem is their GK, and as I said above, ive always rated Jens, Almunia does not have a patch on him and something I always come back to is Jens getting sent off in the CL Final against Barcelona, Almunia came on and got beat at his near post by Belletti, I always thought he should have done better and if Jens had been on the pitch, outcome could have been different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

is Akinfeev still available on a free in January?
    L'prof wrote: »
    I was under the impression that he was. Haven't heard about him signing a new deal or anything.

Akinfeev is not available on a free in January.

His contract runs to December 2011, not December 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

We need a commander\asshole in goals. Jens filled both, the defense was more afraid of Jens reaction than actually conceding a goal. Though Jens was flaky at times on crosses\corners, teams knew it and targetted him. I've give my right ball for Reina but that ain't going to happen, good on crosses, commands box well and is very vocal. for us, command of box > Shot stopper.

• Advertisement

gavredking wrote: »
    Arsenal's best bet is to go with someone like Asenjo, he got unlucky with Athelico Madrid that when De Gea cam ein he replaced him but A.Madrid have two very promising keepers and might not want to get rid.
    It's probably accurate when talking about Arsenal, but for a club of Arsenal's stature and apparent financial position, it should be De Gea that people are suggesting Arsenal go for, not his deputy.

I can only hope that Wenger finally decides to splurge in the summer.

It's probably accurate when talking about Arsenal, but for a club of Arsenal's stature and apparent financial position, it should be De Gea that people are suggesting Arsenal go for, not his deputy.

I can only hope that Wenger finally decides to splurge in the summer.

True, they should be going for a top class keeper, but De Gea was under study to Asenjo, iirc Asenjo was bought for about 5 million and got injured and De Gea got his chance and hasnt looked back since. In saying that, a good solid bid for De Gea could tempt Athelico to sell, hes only 19, 20 and anytime ive seen him he seems to have it all, future Spanish number IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

JPA wrote: »
    Schwarzer would have been a decent short term solution. He's not amazing but look at the alternatives.

I'm really not sure why Schwarzer was ever being touted as the solution. Considereing his age, and the fact that he's never been that great a goalkeeper. Good but nothing special.

Wenger backed Alminia at the start of the season while almost every Arsenal fan wanted him to buy a new keeper, and that's looking like a bad mistake right now. Almunia just doesn't have the confidence or the stature to play at this level, and when a keeper loses his confidence like that he becomes a liability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

What Problem :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Fabianski apparently played a blinder tonight.. and therein lies the problem. There's no doubt that Almunia and Fabianski can pull off great saves, but there's just as much chance that in a game or two they'll flop at a cross or spill one into the net. Consistency is the most important thing in a goalkeeper and these lads have no consistency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Fabianski apparently played a blinder tonight.. and therein lies the problem. There's no doubt that Almunia and Fabianski can pull off great saves, but there's just as much chance that in a game or two they'll flop at a cross or spill one into the net. Consistency is the most important thing in a goalkeeper and these lads have no consistency.

At least Fabianski can only improve. Almunia on the other hand...

It'll take an amazing run without fucking up for either of those two to convince me that they're any ways decent. I can't see it happening, but you never know!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

No, they are definitely consistent at what they do :D

lukasz-fabianski-2.jpg

New avatar Pepe?
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

mixednuts wrote: »
    Thats not a spot on my neck and Arsenal don't need a keeper .

pimple&t=1&usg=AFrqEzetJaY_nw8cHJeUFVprtPtihu37UA

Oh god its looking right at me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Oh god its looking right at me..

28a2fs2.png

• Advertisement

I hope for the good of the football club that this is the turning point in Fabianski's Arsenal career. this might inject a bit of confidence and maybe consistency could follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Still dont think Fabianski will be able to deal with Chelsea. Heres hoping he proves me wrong.

Advertisement