Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

garden gypsum, please help!!!!

Options
  • 25-09-2010 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

I need to find garden gypsum (calcium sulphate dihydrate) but it's impossible! There doesn't seem to be a single retailer of the stuff in the whole country. Anyone know something I don't about where I can find it in Ireland? Can get it from UK or US but postage is too expensive. I know a UK company called Chempak produce it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

Is it not the same thing as plaster of paris?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

What do you do with it ?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 49 lafemme

Is it not the same thing as plaster of paris?

Plaster of Paris : CaSO4·1/2H2O (calcium sulphate hemihydrate); Garden gypsum : CaSO4.2(H2O) (calcium sulphate dihydrate)

...so.... no

• Registered Users Posts: 49 lafemme

bbam wrote: »
    What do you do with it ?:o

Add it to soil for:
    • Better drainage
    • Reduced compaction
    • Less crusting
    • Easier working (easier to incorporate compost).
      • Better root penetration (better access to nutrients and water)
      • Reduced root rot and better breathing
      • Essential nutrients calcium and sulphur
      • No change in soil acidity (pH) so gypsum is safe around acid-loving plants like rhododendrons, strawberries and camellias (lime will damage them).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Its often recommended to add to a heavy clay soil, but I've never come accross it at all. God knows my garden could do with some ! Macamore how are ye !

Secman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Failing gypsum, the right mix for your soil of peat, sand and compost should do the same job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭yeahme

recycled drywall might be a good start,
    ask any builder or go to the local dump.
    there is companies in usa making money by crushing it up and adding it to their compost heaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

Charles Tennants & Co. Ireland Ltd. Unit 71,
    Tel: 01 4514099
    Cookstown Industrial Estate, Belgard Road, Tallaght, Dublin 24.

Ask for 'GYPSUM (AGRICULTURAL GRADE)'

Advertisement