Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Started to peel!

Options
  • 25-09-2010 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Hey, had a tattoo done in new york on wednesday and after an exhausting last 24 hours flying from airport to airport I have just gotten home and cleaned my tattoo properly with warm water. Since I have left yesterday the peeling has started pretty fast and the tattoo looks very dry. I know this is normal to peel and I am not messing or picking at it or anything but I would like to apply some moisture to it with a recomended lotion. Can anybody recommend an everyday non-scented lotion that I should apply? Also, is sopy water bad?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

You should use bepanthen cream. It's used a nappy rash cream so it's great for healing tats and it moisturises too. Soapy water is fine to give it a wash if you're putting fresh cream on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

You should use bepanthen cream. It's used a nappy rash cream so it's great for healing tats and it moisturises too. Soapy water is fine to give it a wash if you're putting fresh cream on.

Thanks, is Savlon antiseptic cream any good until I get in to boots?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Yeah it's fine as I know people who use it to heal tats but bepanthen is the best thing for the job :)

Thanks, will get some tomoro morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭baldshin

DeadMoney wrote: »
    Thanks, will get some tomoro morning.

Sooner rather than later buddy, sounds like you're not looking after it well at all, and you don't want to destroy it!

• Advertisement

Thanks, I got the bepanthen and have applied a thin layer over the tattooed area. It has stopped peeling as much and as expected is not as dark as the original layer (artist said this would happen). I used A & D ointment which I was given for 2 days after getting the tattoo. Then I had to fly home and this took the most part of a day so I cleaned it with warm water and paper towels in each airport I stopped. I think it might have gotten a bit rubbed from all the moving around (picking up bags, putting on jacket etc). Anyway it seems fine but I obviously could have done a better job looking after it if I had not been flying. I have it now 5 days and want to take care of it as best I can while it is still heeling. How often should I apply the Bepanthen, and is there anything else that I can do to look after it to make sure I do any further damage to its quality?

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭baldshin

Just apply the bepanthan whenever it feels like it's drying out again. Try to avoid anything rubbing on it for a bit. Don't scratch it, in fact try to touch it as little as possible! Also(unlikely this time of year) but if it'll be exposed to sunlight, apply plenty of factor 50 sun protection on it. Do all that and it should be grand, good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Like Baldshin said, whenever you feel it getting dry at all. I'd still clean it a couple of times a day at least, and apply the Bepanthen after patting dry.

Advertisement