Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ticket master

Options
  • 25-09-2010 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭

i have this posted in the gigs section just thought i would post it here aswell.

ticketmaster question
    lads trying to get my head around this and want to know has anyone experienced something simular.

heres the story two of my family members were looking for buble tickets for the friday night concert and a friend of mine went online(gumtree.com) and bought two tickets of a bloke that was selling them.so he got the tickets and off my family members went to the concert only to be told the tickets had been refunded, my question is why when the credit card holder went to refund the tickets were they not asked to produce the tickets so this problem wouldnt arise cos as far as im concerned every tom dick and harry could start up a scam like this and make a fortune.are ticket master liable here or does this stuff happen regulary??

there was a name on the ticket but the tickets were confiscated at the gate so cant even produce it to the gards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

The tickets clearly warn of the dangers of purchasing on the grey or black markets on the reverse of the tickets.

I don't know why they weren't asked for the tickets when seeking a refund but I didn't think that Ticketmaster allowed for refunds save in exceptional circumstances?

I would imagine they operate this policy to scare people into avoiding such sellers as it's hard to know if they are valid or not.

Put it this way, if you go to a festival, your tickets are scanned and they often allow you keep the entire thing. You could then go and sell it off to another person and they would not be able to enter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Maybe paid for with a stolen card?

Maybe seller claimed they were not delivered and demanded a refund?

Maybe they were the email tickets which the seller printed multiple times and scammed loads of people ?

Who said they were refunded? At the gate? How would they know? The average ticket checker gets a yes or know, they are told nothing else.

Ticketmaster don't do refunds except for cancelled shows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Sounds like they were paid for with stolen credit card or buyer did a charge back claiming non delivery?

Because you bought from a third party and the tickets were second hand you have very little rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

For the ticketmaster printed tickets I see your point. Have you contacted ticketmaster to complain?

Good point made here OP. Ticket master charge a "handling fee" for a reason, they should have taken the tickets off the person who got a refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

padocon wrote: »
    Have you contacted ticketmaster to complain?

Kind of pointless, as he didn't buy from Ticketmaster, and therefore has no rights in this case. He could still contact them to complain about it, but there's not a lot they can or will do. As other said, the tickets were probably bought fraudulently anyway.

In a private sale, it's a case of buyer beware. If you get conned, then you lose. There's nothing you can do now, unfortunate but true.

• Advertisement

But it was still wrong that thy did not take the tickets off the person who got a refund. Agreed they will not do anything, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I don't think the issue is with Ticketmaster.

The guy who sold them to your family members conned you. Do you have a contact no for him????

Did they get any gut reaction that he was dodge?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

But it was still wrong that thy did not take the tickets off the person who got a refund.

From ticketmasters perspective why would they need to do this?

Their argument would be that you should buy from legit sources and then there is no risk of this situation arising.

I honestly think this is nil to do with Ticketmaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

major bill wrote: »
    as far as im concerned every tom dick and harry could start up a scam like this and make a fortune.
    They can do it, if tickets are stolen/lost in the post they are cancelled via the barcode, then they either send out new ones or you collect them at the box office.

It doesn't matter if the person with the stolen tickets arrives first, they are cancelled. IIRC Years ago in a thread here somebody went to see Bowie in the point and was seated, after buying tickets off a tout. Then the person arrived with new tickets and the bouncers threw out the people who bought from the tout as he had the correct CC details. -now that person could well have got his tickets, said they never came and sold them to a tout outside and then got to go anyway. This was in the days before barcodes, so you would not even get in the door these days.

People could also buy those print out e-tickets and sell them to numerous people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

But it was still wrong that thy did not take the tickets off the person who got a refund. Agreed they will not do anything, I guess.

If I buy tickets with your credit card, then you don't have the tickets, and Ticketmaster can't get them back from you when you make the claim of fraudulent use on your card.

The con-man had the tickets, not the person who got the refund. This is assuming it was a case of fraud, which it pretty much had to be since Ticketmaster don't refund for any other reason (except a concert cancellation).

• Advertisement

Oh yes, sorry did not know it was a scam. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

cheers for the replys, my family members got the money back from the mate who got them the tickets so its him thats out of pocket, afaik the gards and meteor are trying to trace the number of the gumtree seller to make contact with him.

Advertisement