Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

H55 boards require "named" chip?

Options
  • 25-09-2010 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

hello,

I have a i5-760, it's not lynnfield or named, it requires a gfx card. I'm just wondering will it work in a H55 board, or do they always require the chip to have the gfx capability.

Should I be using a P55 board?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

JoeDante wrote: »
    hello,

I have a i5-760, it's not lynnfield or named, it requires a gfx card. I'm just wondering will it work in a H55 board, or do they always require the chip to have the gfx capability.

Should I be using a P55 board?

Thanks.
    i5-760 is lynnfield. It will work fine with H55 however you will need a discrete graphics car and remember to use it's (and not the board's) video outputs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 JoeDante

cheers, was checking CPU lists on motherboards, some mentioned the lynnfield and some didn't, got me thinking there were 2 types.

I've been looking around and I see alot of motherboards needing bios updates to use the i5-760.

Can anyone advise me on a board that will work "out of the box"? I'm close to Komplett.ie's pickup point, so if it was available through komplett that would make life easier. mATX boards btw.

Can any i5-760 owners advise me on their boards, and if there was any BIOS flashing required.

thanks in advance.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I may be wrong but virtually all LGA1156 mobos will have compatibility with the i5-750 in which case the 760 will be operable and stable, only unrecognised and slightly underclocked. You should then be able to safely update the BIOS with the 760 in situ :)

Cheers Solitaire, that's exactly why I'd like someone with an i5-760 to comment ;)

edit: scratch the rest, the one I linked was an ATX board. I'll post up a mATX and get your opinions. tnx.

• Advertisement

I can't be 100% sure of that with Lynnfields (yet ;)) but I had the same experience with Penryns on a P35 mobo - multiplier and thus clock speeds and OCing might be screwed up until BIOS update but otherwise you can run the chip...

got my eye on this one:

http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=prodcpu2&prod_no=1976&maincat_no=1

CPU list shows i5-760 shows 7636v17.zip as the BIOS it needs.

Assuming the chip will be recognised pre-bios flash, is that board ok in general? I won't be over clocking.

Not pushed on it - terrible ports, dreadful onboard sound, and just as many electrolytic caps as on a cheaper ASRock. How much is being asked for it? I only really rate the MSI H55M-E33 and up, and that's only €75 on HWVS, yes, €75 is considered dirt cheap for an LGA1156 mobo :( I sometimes make exceptions for ASRock's USB3 model, which is a tad cheaper than the E33 while having an overall layout similar to MSI's H55M-P33 (similar or greater quality than P31 but the featureset of the E33).

Advertisement